Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend

new england backpackers

For those of you who backpack in New England, specifically VT or NH, 3 season, what tarp do you use? What do you like about it and why? What have you used and not liked? Thanks!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use a Ridgerunner and the Cloudburst is my 'go to' tarp. I really like it for the room it has for the RR spreader bars, plus I can put it into porch mode if I need to cook or hang out under the tarp. I also use a DIY tarp pole pod, which really opens it up even more. I recently ordered a Thunderfly for those times when I can get away with something smaller/lighter. I really haven't used anything else except for some heavy, generic tarps in the past.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    In Spring and Fall, I use my UGQ Winter Dream. I just like the piece of mind it gives knowing I can deal with whatever wind we encounter. Plus it's pretty dark so the first light doesn't immediately wake me up. It's sustained Spring snow and Fall wind-driven rain and only leaked a bit, which was more of an indictment of my seam-sealing abilities than the tarp. Since I re-sealed it, not a drop has come through.

In July and August, when I'm less worried about wind cooling, I switch to my old trusty Hennessy Asym tarp that I've had for 4 or 5 years. It gives sufficient coverage if I drop the sides while allowing a cool breeze on hot nights.

My usual backpacking partner uses a Warbonnet Superfly year round for the same reasons I like my Winter Dream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    If I'm backpacking, 90% of the time I'll take my Cuben Hex mostly due to weight. I've never had an issue with rain getting inside the tarp so unless it's windy or well below 20 it comes with me. The other 10% is either my Superfly or my cloudburst (which I typically only use if I'm taking my RR).

Car camping I usually always use the Superfly. Weight isn't an issue, and I'm usually camping with more people so privacy is more of an issue.

Ive used the Kelty Noah 9' for 4 years now all over the Green and White mountains. Maybe a little heavier than most, the only thing I don't like about it is the stakes it comes with are too short imo and I usually have to dig down a bit through the pine/leaf compost to get some bite....

• + New Posts