Warbonnet Blackbird XLC-2
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemyhammoc View Post
    For lightest I go with dyneema straps and a becket hitch. its also quick/easy/convenient imo and the knot aint hard at all. but, its fun to play with all the other ways and gadgets you can use ;-)
    While I enjoy playing the min/max game with my backpacking setup, the engineer/patent attorney in me loves a good gadget ; )

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    For lightest I go with dyneema straps and a becket hitch. its also quick/easy/convenient imo and the knot aint hard at all. but, its fun to play with all the other ways and gadgets you can use ;-)
    I am just sitting here waiting on a Myerstech Dyneema strap with soft shackles to hit me mailbox.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I just did a whole series on suspensions.....daisy chain, whoopies, UCRs, descender rings, becket hitch, J-Bend, Hennessy lash, cinch buckles.
    Also show the weights of all.
    Suspension playlist......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    Hope it offers insight.
    Shug
    Just watched your UCR/whoopie video this morning. Good stuff as always, Shug. Definitely opened my eyes on the UCRs. I may have to DIY some just to see if I like them. Along those lines, in your video, your UCR is Amsteel at 7/64 inside a 1/8. Does the size difference provide some advantage over using the same diameter material for both pieces? intuitively it makes sense to build the UCR with a smaller diameter line inside the larger but I thought I'd ask.
    Last edited by DBurn; 12-04-2017 at 13:19.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBurn View Post
    Just watched your UCR/whoopie video this morning. Good stuff as always, Shug. Definitely opened my eyes on the UCRs. I may have to DIY some just to see if I like them. Along those lines, in your video, your UCR is Amsteel at 7/64 inside a 1/8. Does the size difference provide some advantage over using the same diameter material for both pieces? intuitively it makes sense to build the UCR with a smaller diameter line inside the larger but I thought I'd ask.
    I may have misspoken...they could both be the same size.
    Best to check and see what others do.....!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I may have misspoken...they could both be the same size.
    Best to check and see what others do.....!
    Thanks, Shug. I'll look into it. This forum is such a wealth of knowledge, I'm sure a little poking around is well warranted!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system
    I agree, Weasel, part of the fun of hammocking is working through a number of different iterations to see which setup I like for any particular situation. I appreciate you sharing some of your insight, particularly with the beetle buckles. I've thought of picking up a set with a bar just to have the option of hanging two rigs off the same trees if things are too sparse.

Are the warbonnets whipped with a continuous loop that has the buckles built into the continuous loops? Having some flexibility to try other suspensions might be nice. Maybe that's something I'll address down the road.
    As far as the beetle buckles go, they were okay. The Appel for me was to be able hang side by side with my GF. However, she has a bridge hammock. So, that won’t work with my gathered end. I also felt the beetle buckled were just a little harder to adjust that regular cinch buckles. However, I think that would vary by individual. I’m sure they are just fine for most.
    The Warbonnet XLC can be ordered with just CL or cinch buckle suspension I believe in the latter, the cinch buckles would be spliced onto the CL. That’s how my first XLC came. So, I swapped that out for just a CL.
    I also have two Dutchware net less hammocks that I just use in the basement that came with the CL spliced to the cinch buckle. I’ll eventually convert them to just CL.
    It’s a great hobby. I’m always learning new stuff! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel88 View Post
    As far as the beetle buckles go, they were okay. The Appel for me was to be able hang side by side with my GF. However, she has a bridge hammock. So, that won’t work with my gathered end. I also felt the beetle buckled were just a little harder to adjust that regular cinch buckles. However, I think that would vary by individual. I’m sure they are just fine for most.
    The Warbonnet XLC can be ordered with just CL or cinch buckle suspension I believe in the latter, the cinch buckles would be spliced onto the CL. That’s how my first XLC came. So, I swapped that out for just a CL.
    I also have two Dutchware net less hammocks that I just use in the basement that came with the CL spliced to the cinch buckle. I’ll eventually convert them to just CL.
    It’s a great hobby. I’m always learning new stuff! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We don't have any bridge hammocks yet, so the applicability of the beetle buckles to a double gathered-end hammock hang is still there. It might be something I try down the line. I am pleased to learn that the suspension is so easily swapped. That will definitely help facilitate any future exploration into the different suspension systems that are out there. Thanks for your input, Weasel!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quick update: I just received a shipping confirmation email from Brandon/Warbonnet. The XLC is on its way!

Images
    I am liking this stye of suspension more and more... super simple, easy, light

Images
    I agree, Weasel, part of the fun of hammocking is working through a number of different iterations to see which setup I like for any particular situation. I appreciate you sharing some of your insight, particularly with the beetle buckles. I've thought of picking up a set with a bar just to have the option of hanging two rigs off the same trees if things are too sparse.

Are the warbonnets whipped with a continuous loop that has the buckles built into the continuous loops? Having some flexibility to try other suspensions might be nice. Maybe that's something I'll address down the road.
    We currently have 3 suspension options...CL loops only (no buckles), CL with buckles in them including the webbing, and whoopie slings plus tree straps

The CL are great for anybody wanting an easy way to add an aftermarket suspension without having to mess with taking the whip partially apart...much easier to just larkshead a new suspension directly to the CL

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast