Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

2 Hammocks, 2 Trees and 20 Degrees - Wild River State Park (MN)

My girlfriend and I did our first overnighter hanging two hammocks on only two trees using the beetle buckle hardware with the spreader bar.

We did a short hike into a backpack site at Wild River State Park. I wanted to test the double hammock set up before we integrate it into a longer trip and carry the extra weight. The temps got down to around 17º. I also wanted to test using my summer UQ(40º) with reflectix to see how low I can go with it. I would say with the wind and the cold temps I was pushing the warmth of reflectix with the UQ. I definitely could tell where the UQ was under the reflectix.
    Deer Creek Loop.jpg
    Double Hammock Set Up
    The Hang:
    It took us a little time to figure out the balance. We found that if the head end (Spreader Bar) of the hammocks is closer to the trees limited the amount of sway from movement within the Hammocks. At first we tried it with a longer hang and found the sway to be really bad. When hanging two hammocks we only needed an additional 1-2ft with the hang. We needed to hang a little higher than normal to not have the underquilt touch the ground when only one person is in it.
    2nd Attempt.jpg3rd Attempt.jpg
    Tarp Set Up:
    This is where we had an issue. You can’t tarp yourself in with the double set up with standard tarps. We lost a lot of heat this way. In the summer, if there is light rain I think you could tarp a single large tarp wide and be good. Instead we created a bigger camp area with some wind walls.

Movement:
    Of course when someone gets in or out of the hammock you feel the movement. We really didn’t feel smaller movements, like rolling from side to side. I should point out we both lay head left, feet right. The hammock hang was even, despite the weight difference. I am a lot heavier and I thought I would be lower but that wasn’t the case.

We both agreed we liked the double set up it in the morning. We feel it is more of a summer set up. At least until a double winter tarp is invented. We are going to experiment with the two tarps I have to see if we can make a better enclosure in the winter with the double set up.

Here is a video of the trip report.

Overall a successful trip. I am glad I was able to test the double hammock set up along with trying to push my summer gear into colder weather. To top it off, I have officially completed my 12 nights a year journey I started last year.
    My Youtube Channel: A Year In Camping
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiu...6KWtT23dHHXj1w

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, UGQ & LL
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    How timely! I just received a beetle buckle system and spreader bar from Dutch so I can retrofit my 11ft netless to double hang with my Chameleon. For the moment I'm planning to use my Kelty Noah's 12ft tarp to cover both hammocks, but I can see a UGQ Winterdream XL with end pole mods taking over that duty next year (should be plenty big enough for double hanging). Going to be a couple of weeks before I get to test double hanging out in the wild, but I think it'll be great.

Thanks for the post and the pics.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Looks like y'all had a good time, and did the best you could under the conditions you were in. My wife and I hang double too, and I agree- it's more of a mild weather setup. I haven't figured out a way to make the head-end doors work in any kind of inclement weather, so you'd really have to be pitched in the right direction and hope the winds didn't shift. That said, we enjoy it, being right next to each other and able to talk without yelling across a campsite or some nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by mattski2112 View Post
    How timely! I just received a beetle buckle system and spreader bar from Dutch so I can retrofit my 11ft netless to double hang with my Chameleon. For the moment I'm planning to use my Kelty Noah's 12ft tarp to cover both hammocks, but I can see a UGQ Winterdream XL with end pole mods taking over that duty next year (should be plenty big enough for double hanging). Going to be a couple of weeks before I get to test double hanging out in the wild, but I think it'll be great.

Thanks for the post and the pics.
    We've used a KNT12 up to now, but just recently I got a 12x12 rectangular (square, I guess?) tarp with no cat cuts for our double hang. I laid the KNT12 over it to see the difference, and it provides way more coverage than the Kelty so I'm happy with that decision. The Kelty did fine but I was always worried we'd be in trouble if any weather came through. You really have to pay attention to your pitch to cover both of you. Good luck with your setup!

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I haven't figured out a way to make the head-end doors work in any kind of inclement weather, so you'd really have to be pitched in the right direction and hope the winds didn't shift. That said, we enjoy it, being right next to each other and able to talk without yelling across a campsite or some nonsense.
    We are still working on a tarp method too. I may need to pick up a 12x12 tarp to test with the spreader bar. We usually camp in a V when we can like this. IMG_1406.jpg Usually using one tarp(CF) as a wall and the other as the (SF)main cover for rain, using one of the doors as a mini third wall. IMG_1405.jpg. With 3 trees we can tarp in individually if the weather gets bad. I use a Superfly and a CF w/ doors. I should note this picture our packs are usually at the foot ends, so they would be out of the rain.
    We enjoy being close to each other too, she sometimes gets spooked with all the night critters. I'd be eager to see a pic of your tarp with the double set up. Thanks!

I'm planning to use my Kelty Noah's 12ft tarp to cover both hammocks, but I can see a UGQ Winterdream XL with end pole mods taking over that duty next year (should be plenty big enough for double hanging). Going to be a couple of weeks before I get to test double hanging out in the wild, but I think it'll be great.
    I did consider a Winterdream XL, but didn't want to spend that much without knowing for sure. I am open to options, my girlfriend wants to go winter camping but we both agree we need to be able to tarp in completely.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the trip report, pics, and video. Good job on the editing!

On a short winter trip where you are sure it won't rain and you just need protection from wind or light flurries, you might consider trying a Dutch Winter Sock (or two). You can leave it bunched up around the foot end of the hammock if it's calm, ready to deploy if a breeze kicks up during the night or you just need a little more warmth. It takes about 15 seconds to pull it over you and cinch it, and you don't even have to get out the hammock to do it. Just a suggestion.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    Thanks for the trip report, pics, and video. Good job on the editing!

On a short winter trip where you are sure it won't rain and you just need protection from wind or light flurries, you might consider trying a Dutch Winter Sock (or two).

Thank you
    I frequently go back and forth on using a Dutch Winter Sock. I struggle to leave the tarp at home, too many times I have woken up at 2am to rain or light flurries. Maybe I should just trust the weather report. Thanks for giving me another idea to test.

• + New Posts