WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    Just wanted to link This Thread up with a couple others talking about the same company, rosefeather comes up every couple months and it's usually the same discussion with the same end result good down at a great price, but since hardly any of the threads actually has the name of the company in the headline and the search engine on this forum is horrid I thought more people would end up here researching this company than the other threads.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...94-600-fp-down

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ather-850-down

I am glad you did this....I didn't want to flood more into this

I started my thread off not as talking about rose feather in mind, but just examining the possibility of using say 600fp down....which, I would take the weight penalty for a kids item or something, but after the weight is factored in, that is more oz's needed to fill the project, the savings narrowed significantly. (like a 20 dollar difference for 12 oz, not insignificant but still stuff that costs 70 dollars per lb for a very low fill power.

Carrico...if it pleases you, I can once I get my down and fiddle around with it, do some comparisons, video, photos, and fill my projects...come back and post here....only if you like...given my title is now odd.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Yeah, I would be interested in seeing it compared to "reputable" vendors:<)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. 1.6oz. HyperD
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli Pro
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I just received my order of 500 grams Rose feather down 950fp from amazon.

This feels almost like my dream pillow, mid height and pretty firm. For a second the idea of putting a pillow case and calling it a day crossed my mind. Then I remembered that I have the fabric and a top quilt to work on.

Maybe I will order another 500 gram pillow from them
    If you are under control, you are not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ecologito View Post

This feels almost like my dream pillow, mid height and pretty firm. For a second the idea of putting a pillow case and calling it a day crossed my mind. Then I remembered that I have the fabric and a top quilt to work on.

Time to get to work!

I hope to have an UQ sewn up and ready when China shipment arrives - I just got all the other materials from Dutch today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ecologito View Post

That's exactly what I did with my 3 oz of leftover, made a little Aragon shell for it works great.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I'm curious to your folks methods of portioning out the down from one large "pillow". Are you weighing out ounces into a ziplock for each baffle and then emptying the ziplock into the shell? Or?

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I'm curious to your folks methods of portioning out the down from one large "pillow". Are you weighing out ounces into a ziplock for each baffle and then emptying the ziplock into the shell? Or?
    That's how I did it, I've tried several different methods they're all very messy. But yeah I just weigh it out and put it in a zip-lock, when I'm ready to stuff the quilt I cracked the zipper on the zip lock and roll it down as tight as I can get it, then cut the bottom of the bag shove it in the baffle open the top and push it from the top down out the hole I cut. Works pretty good.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    That's how I did it, I've tried several different methods they're all very messy. But yeah I just weigh it out and put it in a zip-lock, when I'm ready to stuff the quilt I cracked the zipper on the zip lock and roll it down as tight as I can get it, then cut the bottom of the bag shove it in the baffle open the top and push it from the top down out the hole I cut. Works pretty good.
    Ok. I was hoping for another way. Did you just reach in the big pillow and grab a handful, place it in a ziplock and weigh it, add more - take out as necessary, then? Seems messy and time consuming. I mean, I know the whole job will be but ****...

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Only slight change I would do is to work via subtraction. Less handling.

Put the whole 16oz on the scale and remove down until the scale reads 15oz. That way you move from only one container to another. If you weigh from the pillow into a bowl on the scale you then have to transfer from that bowl into a holding bag.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by MoldyFrog View Post
    Only slight change I would do is to work via subtraction. Less handling.

Put the whole 16oz on the scale and remove down until the scale reads 15oz. That way you move from only one container to another. If you weigh from the pillow into a bowl on the scale you then have to transfer from that bowl into a holding bag.
    SMART. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast