Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    ThermaRest CCF pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

New Tarp for WBBB, Any Suggestions?

So my current tarp, a Hennessy Monsoon (70D Poly), has separated at the seams where one would put up the doors at the head and foot end of the hammock, making the doors almost useless. This is a side-effect of me putting too much stress on the tarp by stretching it to when it would comfortably cover my WBBB and give me piece of mind knowing that there was next to no chance of the hammock getting wet, and I realized this a little too late. So basically, I need suggestions for a new tarp with similar coverage to the Monsoon, that will fit the Blackbird, and that pleases my parents... While I will spend my own money for the tarp, my parents just dont see why any tarp could be worth more than $75 and won't let me purchase a similar tarp (like a WB Minifly) because they see it as bad investment. Any tarps ideas that you think might please my parents?
    Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydra59 View Post
    So my current tarp, a Hennessy Monsoon (70D Poly), has separated at the seams where one would put up the doors at the head and foot end of the hammock, making the doors almost useless. This is a side-effect of me putting too much stress on the tarp by stretching it to when it would comfortably cover my WBBB and give me piece of mind knowing that there was next to no chance of the hammock getting wet, and I realized this a little too late. So basically, I need suggestions for a new tarp with similar coverage to the Monsoon, that will fit the Blackbird, and that pleases my parents... While I will spend my own money for the tarp, my parents just dont see why any tarp could be worth more than $75 and won't let me purchase a similar tarp (like a WB Minifly) because they see it as bad investment. Any tarps ideas that you think might please my parents?
    Thanks!
    While a totally different tarp, it is hard to beat a Kelty Noah 12 at $67
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009R...B12&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like you need to educate your parents. My oldest Warbonnet tarp is a bit over 7 years now. It's also my most (ab)used tarp, and it's still going strong. Yes, it did cost $130, but that's about $18.50 per year - and it'll be less every additional year. Now, how old is your Hennessy tarp? What has been the cost per year?

Also, cost is only one factor. I have had a HH tarp for a short time. It did weigh about double of a similarly sized Warbonnet tarp. And last but not least: Warbonnet is made in USA. Made in China is cheaper, but my guess is, that the savings are at the expense of the workers who make the gear.

You could still get a Warbonnet Superfly for $119 as long as the Black Friday sale is still on. Those $119 are a much better investment than $75 for a heavy tarp that you will have to replace much sooner.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    By the way - the WB Minifly is much smaller than the HH Monsoon, and the mini doors don't provide the amount of protection you are probably looking for. If you can, go for the Superfly.

If you can't, consider ordering Grizz Beaks for your HH tarp. That should fix your problem for the moment, and you can still use them when you can upgrade your tarp to something better.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    My best to your parents.. This old fella firmly believes the minifly is the best thing out there. Only a few dollars more than your limit.. save a little longer, wait for the next sale, watch shug videos... buy cheap, and you'll buy often.
    Buy a minifly, be happy for years to come.
    Last edited by Mountain Gout; 11-27-2017 at 16:22.
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

New Tarp for WBBB, Any Suggestions?

The superfly is a great all season tarp. It gives you some privacy when you want it and you'll always be dry. Worth the money.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    The others here have made some very good points for spending more than what your parents will allow. Definitely good points to bring to the table for further discussion with your parents.

In that spirit I would add a tarp is not an investment as there are no monetary gains to be had. Rather it is an item that helps you get enjoyment doing something you love to do. It could be viewed as a waste of money I suppose, but I would contend only if it goes unused. How many things do we have laying around the house that we bought with good intentions and spent good money on but never used?

But all this supposes that the money is there to begin with and it creates no hardship in spending it. These are choices we all have to make every day and it is great that your parents make you go through the exercise.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Are you car camping? Backpacking? Winter camping? Backyard lounging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    ++ for the superfly.

Impress you parents by saving the difference elsewhere. A plastic gatorade bottle instead of 'hydration system'; a knorr pasta side dish from supermarket ($0.99) instead of mountain house back packer food ($6.00); an alcohol stove you purchase or make out of a soda cans.

There are places you can save money without hurting your safety or comfort. Shelter is an important piece of gear.

Warm + Dry + Fed = happy camper

• + New Posts