Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Is a zero degree top quilt enough do you think for winter in New Hampshire camping/backpacking?

The reality is depends on camping that you do. If you are only doing car camping then you could get away with stacking a 20* set on top of a regular 0* set and go sub temps. If you are backpacking and space is limited then you will have to match and exceed your temps that your looking to go down to. I have taken a regular 20* set and 0* with 3oz of overstuff fill set And got down to -20* with plenty of room to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I agree with the last few posts. The reason I said I'd have a 0 as "part of the arsenal" is because it will still have to be stacked with something for much of the serious winter months. I've taken my 0 and 40 degree quilts together down to -15 with plenty of room to spare. Even a 0 degree by itself isn't enough for some winter nights. I remember a Spring hike a couple years ago in late May when overnight lows were supposed to be around 40. On the first night it hit 28 and snowed;.I was cold and miserable in my 20 degree UQ because of wind shifting so it blew right into the end of my tarp.

Having a setup that can go to -20 is a wise plan. There's a reason my winter pack is 70 liters for an overnight
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For the cold-weather experts, how well does it work to combine TQ with down parka and down pants as part of the sleep system.

Many times I've camped (as a groundling!) with a +20F quilt down to about -10F using the down parka and pants, combined with an Xtherm air mat with 3/8" CCF pad on top.

I have a 0F UQ (Incubator on order, arriving soon I hope!) and am wondering if my EE Enigma 20F quilt combined the parka/pants would be adequate, or if the compression of these garments in the hammock would reduce their effectiveness.

Thanks for your insights on this!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    You will probably just have to try it with a bail out option to know. I’ve had nights where I had everything on that I had with me. My down coat was used on top of my bag over my mid section. I had my prism jacket over my power stretch fleece jacket inside the bag. I was uncomfortable due to the layers and only slightly cold.
    Ed

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    For me, what works and what's comfortable are two different things. Adding clothes adds warmth for sure and the only compression issues you're likely to face are on the shoulders and back, so your UQ better be up to the task. But I can't sleep with too many clothes on. So if I ever get to the point of adding my Mountain Hardware Compressor pants (https://www.mountainhardwear.com/men...t-1561481.html) and puffy jacket, it means I"ve given up on sleep and am just trying to make it through the night and that's not the point of camping for me. If I'm going to lie awake I might as well pack up, put on the headlamp, and start the hike out.

I base my temp ratings on wearing one layer of thermal protection which is some weight of fleece long underwear. For my -15° night I used an expedition weight set of Polar Skin tops and bottoms and wool socks and with a 0° and 40° quilt stacked on top and bottom (and an overcover on my hammock) I woke up drenched in sweat at around 3 AM. I had to stand up and let the steam rise off of me. (I was testing in my back yard and I joke that I may be the only person ever to wake up at -15° outside and go inside the house for a few minutes to cool off. I changed my layers and crawled back in for another couple hours with just the 0° back on top and that was better.)

So if you can sleep bundled up then a lighter topquilt will probably work as long as the bottom is up to the task.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I hope everyone considering cold Hanging is EXPERIENCED with winter camping.

I spend part of my life in a subarctic region, in B.C. I love it, however the cold is lethal if you are not prepared. You must know yourself and your gear. As others have pointed out experiment where you have a FOR SURE, EASY BAIL OUT.

Too many clothes or the wrong type and you have condensation issues the list is long, so I hope everyone considering cold Hanging is very well experienced and has survival training.

I am a sissy girl, I like my warm house, I have big windows to enjoy the surrounding area and snow. One of my favorite things is to be in my hot tub when we are in a blizzard, I am all nice and warm, watching the snow swirl, that is my idea of luxury. I am very happy to leave the frozen eyelashes behind and watch from a cozy place. Yup, I am a sissy girl.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thank you, and I understand this.

I've spent a week in Maine with temps getting down to -25°F every night, and in the Daks it once got down to -33°F. Once helped rescue some ill-equipped folks who got into trouble near Mt Guyot in the Whites.

You are quite correct—extreme cold is not something to be trifled with!

Hammock
    ENO Sub-7
    Insulation
    EE Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Two things come to mind that have completely changed my cold weather experience:

* A winter sock (like Dutch's) is worth it's weight in gold. It seems better to me than a winter tarp and UQ protector. Although a winter tarp can still be quite helpful in conjunction with it. Beat the wind like it's your worst enemy.

** A Nalgene or other hard-sided plastic bottle with nearly boiling water in it can get you warm when nothing else can. Once you're cold, it's hard to get warm no matter what insulation you have. You are relying only on your own trapped body heat to warm you, and that can be hard once you get a certain level of cold in you. But the direct application of serious heat onto your femoral arteries/groin, under your armpits, or just warming your sleeping bag can take you from zero to hero in like 5 minutes.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    We carry the SOL Escape Bivvy as part of our emergency gear. It is breathable. I figured why not use it as part of sleep system. Was very surprised how much toastyness it added.

Yes, extreme cold is brutal. But we like the sweet spot between say 5 and 25. Fleece pjs, 20F Jarbidge, 10 HG Down Topquilt, bivvy, dutch summer sock flipped, and WB Superfly

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12