Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images

Swedish gold hunt with a chanterelle lunch

The wife was traveling away with the newborn for the weekend. That translate to free time for dad to find good hanging spots for the upcoming winter trips and the possibility to stock up some fat wood (fire tinder, the forgotten gold of the forest). To my surprise there was a whole lot of chanterelle in the forest (a kind that should not exist at this time of the year). Unfortunately I did not bring any smoked deer meat, unions and bacon..but butter, bread and fried chanterelle with salt and pepper is not a bad meal at all :-)

Main gear used:
    Warbonnet XLC, HG Incubator, Cumulus TQ and WB Super fly (Forecast: winter temp or/ and heavy rain).
    Toaks gasifier with a 1100ml pot in titanium,
    Bahco laplander saw, Barkriver Bravo 1 knife and a small Granforse axe.

Some snaps:

A short rest during the day:
    gold-trip-forest-0003.jpg

The forest:
    gold-trip-forest-0006.jpg

Chanterelle lunch:
    gold-trip-forest-0004.jpg

More of the forest:
    gold-trip-forest-0005.jpg

Fat wood:
    gold-trip-forest-0002.jpg

Night camp: ( I know, wrong angle. I changes the position of the hammock before I pitched the tarp)
    gold-trip-forest-0001.jpg

Link to a Halloween hike
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-spruce-forest
    Like everything else in life..don't bother to be better than your contemporaries. Try to be better than yourself

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    A really great-looking place for a hike and hang. That fatwood looked pretty awesome, you shouldn't have any fire-starting problems anytime soon!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    A really great-looking place for a hike and hang. That fatwood looked pretty awesome, you shouldn't have any fire-starting problems anytime soon!
    Yes. I found a real treasure. It will last for a long time. Fat Wood is my go to tinder during winter/autumn. It works works like charm even if it is moist or wet.
    Like everything else in life..don't bother to be better than your contemporaries. Try to be better than yourself

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That sure is some beautiful forest you've got there. The mushrooms look beefy. Not bieng in the know, I choice to stay away from wild mushrooms.
    That fat wood looks pretty rich. That should burn real nice.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Wow again, more beautiful pictures from Sweden. I must visit someday. The forests you have are almost surreal. Are the lands public so that anyone may camp or do they tend to be private land?

While a scout camp this year I found chanterelles right in back of my hammock, a treasure for sure. Yum, They were in an area where there was runoff when it rains so I looked both up and down stream and, sure enough, found some more.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    If you can bare with me, I have a chantrelle tale to share (some times us old dogs simply have too many tales and wax way to verbose, eh?)

I was working in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness out of Gardiner, MT (spent 13 seasons pounding that country before moving southward to the Teton Wilderness, marvelous in deed!). I was working with a volunteer from Finland or Sweden, can't remember which (the other pitfall of being an old dog ) We would be clearing trail or riding back to camp after the days work and Pers would hop of his horse, pluck a bunch of mushrooms, sniff them, and exclaim "I'm sure these are Chantrelles! They are eatable and very taste!".

In fact, he said, we have a song about them in Sweden (Finland) and would burst into the Chantrelle Song "La Dee Lomphda Da Dee Ommp La!" (or something to that affect in his native language and my hapless rendition, forgive me.)

I told Pers that we had a song too. It was about some fellow who ate a bunch of mushrooms thinking they were eatable...they weren't. But Pers was insistent they had to be Chantrelles and picked a bread bag of them to give it a go. I told him that there were two conditions for him to eat them. First, he needed to bequeath me his fine waxed Filson tin cruiser jacket that I admired, and secondly, after he ate the mushrooms he need to sleep bent over so that he would be easy to sling over a mule to pack out the next day.

Lo and behold, the next morning Pers was alive, well, and ready for more. And since such was the case, I was also persuaded to partake of picking, cleaning, and sautéing the next batch of delicious Chantrelles

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    PS: please sing us the Chantrelle Song!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    That sure is some beautiful forest you've got there. The mushrooms look beefy. Not bieng in the know, I choice to stay away from wild mushrooms.
    That fat wood looks pretty rich. That should burn real nice.
    I think I was lucky..it is almost pure resin. It was a small piece from a old, big and dead pine. The remaining tree will last forever. I have marked it on my gps :-)

Mushrooms could be pretty bad for you if you are unlucky. This was Chanterelles (we have a few varieties) and they are very..very tasty (and expensive, not as gold..but). We have a few varieties that are toxic but they are pretty easy to spot..

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Wow again, more beautiful pictures from Sweden. I must visit someday. The forests you have are almost surreal. Are the lands public so that anyone may camp or do they tend to be private land?

While a scout camp this year I found chanterelles right in back of my hammock, a treasure for sure. Yum, They were in an area where there was runoff when it rains so I looked both up and down stream and, sure enough, found some more.
    More or less all land in Sweden is public according to "right of public access". We have some restriction in our national parks and other protected areas but otherwise you are more or less free to roam the land. Most of the forest is owned by the government, big companies and the church..but it is free to use for the public as long as you follow a few rules..

https://www.naturvardsverket.se/Om-N...91-620-8522-3/
    Last edited by Biped; 11-27-2017 at 11:07.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge & Superfly
    Insulation
    HG & UkHammock
    Suspension
    Stock WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    PS: please sing us the Chantrelle Song!
    If I only knew how :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast