Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Annual Injuries

Beds: 346,362 injuries
    Hammocks: 1,939 injuries

*This data is sourced from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, which collects data regarding injury incidents in the United States that necessitate an emergency room visit.

Screenshot at 2017-11-25 11:01:35.png
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I couldn't read the whole article after the first paragraph or so. It should basically read... 'I'm a hater and I tried a product that I used incorrectly and it didn't work...therefore it sucks"

So, with that logic everyone that uses down should all be dead or dying of hypothermia. However, I get the point of these knuckleheads hanging in the middle of a path. There are numerous articles about hammocks being banned from college campuses and public parks because of people making bad choices about where and when it's appropriate to hang. I'll just continue to hang either in my back yard or the "Piney Woods" out of way of everyone.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    UQ TQ
    Suspension
    I like whoopie
    Images
    Guy sounds like a lot of fun to be around. His lady friends were "appalled" at the site of another woman lounging in a hammock? Sounds like his friends are like minded.

This article really makes me want to get in a hammock.

I was in a small outdoor store in Asheville, and the guy there said he tried a hammock and was uncomfortable. he likes the ground.
    I have nothing against the ground, but I also know the hammock is good, too.

I have to say if it was not for this forum I would never have had a good night in a hammock.
    Because of you all sharing I was able to solve the problems that WE ALL HAVE HAD.

And, I heard about Shug and his videos, too.
    And the Hickery Brothers.

Ken in NC
    Last edited by snwcmpr; 11-25-2017 at 12:28.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    He did make one valid point. Hammocks do indeed promote sloth =)
    This explains why I enjoy hanging so much.. I must be a sloth

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG 12' Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Sniveler/MtW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie cushions
    Funny article! I have no problems with the buffoons staying on the ground!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    I have nothing against the ground, but I also know the hammock is good, too.
    I like to go both ways... .

There are times when I like to get out with just the tarp which keeps me on the ground. Over the years, I've been more focused on going with as light a pack as I can but without being a gram weenie. I like to have a few creature comforts these days like an occasional cigar & a bit of single malt after a day on the trail. But as I get older, the ground seems to get harder... either that or my ground pads are too thin! But when it comes to sleeping comfort, it's hard to beat getting off the ground for a good night's sleep on the trail.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    A decent bit of trolling right there... the author managed to nail the only thing that matters today - audience engagement. I would argue that the lower standards for writing in niche publications like this one is far more annoying to me than millennials taking selfies.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I hate technical gear, especially when its marketed as gear that will improve my outdoor experience. This is because I hate to attempt to understand how it works. Why should I have to go through that trouble. I mean, shouldn't the marketing people know that? It should work right out of the box, right? Or else, it should come with explicit instructions, or else an announcement of some sort of what other gear is needed to make it work properly. Why should I have to understand the physics of heat transfer to know how to insulate myself? Isn't that someone else's responsibility? Why should I be expected to research gear and understand what the various issues are and ways of dealing with them? Ughh, why is it so hard to just buy a product that works for me?!? (tic)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I hate technical gear, especially when its marketed as gear that will improve my outdoor experience. This is because I hate to attempt to understand how it works. Why should I have to go through that trouble. I mean, shouldn't the marketing people know that? It should work right out of the box, right? Or else, it should come with explicit instructions, or else an announcement of some sort of what other gear is needed to make it work properly. Why should I have to understand the physics of heat transfer to know how to insulate myself? Isn't that someone else's responsibility? Why should I be expected to research gear and understand what the various issues are and ways of dealing with them? Ughh, why is it so hard to just buy a product that works for me?!? (tic)
    don't remove that silver spoon you'll be a dead man walking

Totally funny in this day in age that it seems very few people are willing to google and or search out the info needed to improve their experience.

When I started this Hammock rabbit hole I wanted something different lighter more compact than a tent for a Motorcycle trip. That led to a Hennessy Hammock and yah I gave up lighter and went heavier with the deep jungle xl version for some extra perceived comfort durability.....which was a correct choice.
    After that awesome trip I dabbled around with the Hammock and became more 'interested' in the whole hammock world so google leads me to this forum and well the rest is history. It totally shaped how I approached Hammocking with the knowledge imparted within all the pages.
    Honestly it has been the best Rabbit hole I have ever gone down in terms of health on many levels.

We can all poo poo ideas but we also must keep a open mind which this author failed on.....he could have asked 'am I missing something'.
    Clearly his failure to use google and do just a wee bit of research in the time it took to write the article could have changed his whole perspective rather quickly.
    Clearly defines the 'now' mentality as you say dakotaross
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast