Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Another Georgia boy!

I live in central Georgia and am relatively new to hammocking, although I first played around with it a number of years ago when there wasn't much available. The reason I looked into hammocks was that I had a bit of arthritis in my spine and could no longer lie down flat, so tent camping was out. I though that maybe hammocks were the answer. I bought a dual layer jungle hammock that was made in the UK, and, although it was a bit short, it was fine for warm weather, but when temps dropped at night, I tended to get cold. This was before the advent of the underquilt. So I just got away from camping altogether for too many years.

Then, this year I decided to look into it again and was amazed at the advances that had been made and at the amount of reasonably priced equipment that was available. Amazon was absolutely awash in the stuff. So I bought a really nice 10 foot double hammock for about $30 and a decent 12 foot tarp for about $40 and, after digging out the North Face Dolomite 20 sleeping bag that I had put away, I was back in business. I could use the bag as a top quilt. I also had an old and really heavy, but also really warm, military sleeping bag that I could use, if necessary. Of course the cold butt syndrome was still a problem, but I found that there were some low-priced underquilts available, as well, and decided to try one of the OneTigris winter underquilts.

I also found the Hammock Forums and YouTube hammocking videos and went on an information consuming binge. Sort of like Johnny Five in Short Circuit - "Inpuuut, more inpuuut!"

So that's where I am at the moment - testing the bag and quilt combo to see how low I can go. I sleep cold, so just making it through the night is not good enough. My goal is that toasty-warm-all-over feeling that makes you want to snuggle down and go to sleep. So far, the OneTigris UQ is not quite what I hoped it would be, but I may not be using it properly. We'll see. Even so, it's a heck of a lot better than what I had before, which was ... oh, yeah ... nothing. Did okay into the 40's but had to boost the UQ a bit with a lightweight sleeping bag as a second layer. Got cold when I tried it down to 32 degrees. So still testing, and we'll see how it goes.

I'm also testing a goofy-but-good-for-me hammock suspension system based upon the continuous ridgeline suspension system for tarps. I'll post a photo and description when I get around to it.

In the meantime, cheers, and happy hanging!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    GoneShootn, you're off to a flying start. You might want to come to a local hammock hang. Maybe try out a few hammocks while there--try 11 and 12 foot hammocks. There is a big jump in comfort going from a 10 to an 11 foot hammock. Also they will help with pointers on underquilts.
    If you can--show pictures of your new suspensions.
    There are a great bunch of hammockers in Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And watch Shug's videos on underquilts, he shows how to rig your underquilt so there will be no gaps. I did not know that underquilt should lift hammock when hammock is empty. He has great many insights--watch Shug's videos.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from a neighbor to the north in Marietta GA.

Make sure to take a look at the vendors represented here on these forums, especially for a quality UQ. I think you will have much better luck with them than you will on Amazon. Down quilts are the most effective as far as weight vs insulation power, but there are some quality synthetic quilts available as well.

Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    And watch Shug's videos on underquilts, he shows how to rig your underquilt so there will be no gaps. I did not know that underquilt should lift hammock when hammock is empty. He has great many insights--watch Shug's videos.

Yeah, I didn't know that, either, but, with the OneTigris design and some others - I think that ENO has one like it - that's almost impossible to do. You have that deep well in the middle, and I think that's part of my problem, if there is one.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey GoneS. Welcome to the party from a neighbor very close to you.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    Freedom V1 from Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    DIY hex w doors
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome from Moultrie, GA!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Welcome from ATL!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts