Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps

Fleece Underquilt for Indoor Hanging

I stopped at JoAnn Fabrics today and picked up 2 1/3 yds each of light purple and dark purple Blizzard Fleece. Even better it was on sale! It's going to be strictly for indoor hanging at home as I've made the switch to sleeping in a hammock full time.

Next I need to figure out how I want to finish the edges and set up the suspension. I'm leaning against doing a clew setup as will be using it constantly and don't want to have to worry about the suspension getting tangled when it's time to wash. I was planning to pick up some grosgrain ribbon, but I wasn't sure if they actually had any or not as the ribbon that I thought was the right one wasn't labeled that way. Plus they were out of purple anyway. Sigh.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to do a straight rectangle or if I want to taper the ends. It seems like it would reduce the bulk to taper the ends and I would have scraps I could use for other things, but since I'm not going to be lugging this thing about it may not be worth the effort.

Any advice from others that have done something similar would be appreciated.

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    My wife got a couple of no-sew quilts on sale at JoAnn's a few years back and sewed the fabric together with channels. She was able to go though both layers of the fabrics. Our kids use them for the hammocks in their rooms.

I ran shock cord through the channels and they love them. When its time to wash them we just pull the shock cord out and wash. Channels are about an inch wide so re-threading takes only a minute or two with a long piece of wire.

The one pictured is my daughter's.
    1119172111.jpg

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Thank you for the input. Are the channels just on the ends? About how much shock cord is necessary for this setup?

Images
    Or you could just, sew it directly to the hammock.
    My work hammock,

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Underquilt is sewn. I'm not totally happy with the suspension, but I think it will work. Tonight will be the first test.

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Well, after sleeping with the new underquilt for about three weeks, I decided that I love having the underquilt so I don't have to smooth out a blanket under me everytime I get in the hammock but I didn't like how the suspension was working out. So it was time to rework things and separate out the part that gathers the ends from the suspension. I was originally going to sew on some loops of webbing, but got completely frustrated with the webbing I bought, so new plan. Instead I installed grommets at each of the corners through the layer of fleece opposite the layer that the cord is running through to gather the ends. I shortened the shock cord by about half and threaded each end through one hole of a double cord lock. Next I took the remaining shock cord and threaded the ends through the second hole of one pair of cord locks and grommets to form the new suspension. I knotted the ends to keep the cord locks in place by the grommets. After I rehung the underquilt, I cinched up the ends and tied the loose ends together. It's now hanging MUCH better than before. I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    20170505_142506.jpg
    same hammock, same stand, different underquilt suspension

I basically sewed 2 panels onto the ends of a CDT (you could do the same with fleece) or just use a longer fleece quilt, and hang it like it is it's own hammock.

• + New Posts