Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I have an 11 ft. Winter Palace with doors.The only thing I like about it is the weight and the only reason I carry it is to keep my total weight down in cold weather.I do like having doors in cold weather though.My biggest objection is that it feels like heavy duty Saran Wrap and it is translucent which makes it a real hot house in warm weather;hence it's strictly a cold weather item for me.
    I think the Winter Palace is a little thicker than the standard CF tarp. So it probably does retain more heat. If there’s no threat of rain I’ll pitch mine wide open to allow good air flow. And I’ll tie the doors back unless they’re needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time I hear the sound of rain on my cuben tarp I think dry, dry, dry! Sweetest sound in the woods when it rains.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Every time I hear the sound of rain on my cuben tarp I think dry, dry, dry! Sweetest sound in the woods when it rains.
    Right there with ya!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I always keep an eye on the Dyneema stuff just in case I get back into it. I tired it but didn't like it for several reasons. When silpoly tarps started catching on, it really sealed the deal for me. My cuben w/o doors was 9.2 oz total (hardware, skin, sack) and my silpoly is 14.4 oz. Other than the silpoly being a bit wider, everything else was equal. The 5oz just wasn't enough for me, especially since it offered less protection, bulkier, and I actually prefer a little initial stretch to get a taut setup with a little breathing room (silpoly is almost like having a built-in self tensioner).

I don't mention price because I know this is the kind of money you need to spend to shave those last remaining ounces off the pack.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I always keep an eye on the Dyneema stuff just in case I get back into it. I tired it but didn't like it for several reasons. When silpoly tarps started catching on, it really sealed the deal for me. My cuben w/o doors was 9.2 oz total (hardware, skin, sack) and my silpoly is 14.4 oz. Other than the silpoly being a bit wider, everything else was equal. The 5oz just wasn't enough for me, especially since it offered less protection, bulkier, and I actually prefer a little initial stretch to get a taut setup with a little breathing room (silpoly is almost like having a built-in self tensioner).

I don't mention price because I know this is the kind of money you need to spend to shave those last remaining ounces off the pack.
    Couldn’t agree more. When you start getting to “bare bones” the tarps are very similar as far as weight goes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If they could get this Cuben Fiber to be less bulky I'd purchase another one of these but the bulk is hard for me to deal with. It is light so HYOH and enjoy.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    If they could get this Cuben Fiber to be less bulky I'd purchase another one of these but the bulk is hard for me to deal with. It is light so HYOH and enjoy.
    It definitely is bulkier than other materials. That is one of its downsides. I just roll it up in the sleeve and throw it in the outside pocket of my Ohm 2.0.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    One good thing about that is it's much less of a problem than what photos may show. I put mine in the dyneema snake, then folded it (or rolled like a firehose) in about 10" lengths. So I was left with a ~8x10 rectangle that packed easy on the inside of my pack. Since the material is so slick, I was able to slide it in last even after packed.

So I wouldn't worry about the bulk if you like everything else about it.

Warbonnet Silpoly Mamajamba vs HG Dyneema Hex. Again, the photos make it look 2x the size but it smashes down flat and rides nicely inside the pack, towards the outside (farthest from my back)

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    I just ordered a custom monster. 13’ winter palace in camo for my rr, with door tiebacks, ridgerummer pullout spacing and attachment points under the ridgeline (cloudburst style) for the rr bugnet. Dying to try it out. Henceforth it shall be referred to as “the bunker” or M.O.A.T (the mother of all tarps)��

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF, Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20°, HG 40°
    Suspension
    Venom Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76 View Post
    I just ordered a custom monster. 13’ winter palace in camo for my rr, with door tiebacks, ridgerummer pullout spacing and attachment points under the ridgeline (cloudburst style) for the rr bugnet. Dying to try it out. Henceforth it shall be referred to as “the bunker” or M.O.A.T (the mother of all tarps)��
    Awesome! If you’re not using it for backpacking you can park your car under it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast