Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Synthetic sleeping bag suggestions

I知 looking for opinions and suggestions on synthetic sleeping bags for use in a hammock long term. I want to take my hammock on the 6-month canoe trip two friends and I are going on in April and I知 in need of a new bag. I want to take a synthetic bag around 0 Celsius (about 30F) and a blanket or liner to increase temperatures along with clothes for the shoulder seasons.

I want something that packs down well and has a full length zipper so that I can unzip it fully for use as a quilt in warm weather.

Bonus info, I知 in Canada.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    The Loco Libre Jalapeno Pepper Topquilt may work for you. You can configure it with insulation options for a broader range of temp coverage. It also opens flat like a blanket & LL gives you the ability to customize it with different colors, multiple widths, lengths, etc.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have had several synthetic bags before I migrated to down. I still own three Mountain Hardware Lamina series sleeping bags and I like them (-10 to 35F). I am currently sleeping in 35* Lamina in my hammock knowing that I can throw it in the wash machine as the need arises. I had a Marmot bag that I hated, too voluminous interior wise...gone. I

I am not a subscriber to the top quilt theory for several reasons and prefer to use my sleeping bag as a quilt for most of the time with it unzipped most of the way leaving the bottom as a foot box. I like the versatility and extra warmth a bag can provide when it gets too cold for a top quilt; I like to have the hood part to seal off my neck and head when conditions are marginal but I don't want to zip in; when going to ground, hostel, or hotel it is my bedding; they maintain their resale value if it is a quality bag and have a much wider market; you usually can pick up a good quality synthetic bag for very little and not care what happens to it.

Images
    I would looks at Wiggy's bags. He may be a curmudgeon old man, but he takes a lot of pride in his work and they are built like tanks. He makes bags for the military too. I've got a couple hundred nights in his bags, and they are very impressive bags. Their only down side is they are bulky and heavy, but a canoe helps with that. I still use them in my bridge car camping.

https://www.wiggys.com/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    C Pepper, Wht Clou
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've had a Cabela's 3D -20 bag for about 10 years and love it. Spent many a single digit night in it toasty warm when I lived in Washington state.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Enlightened Equipment has their 'Convert' bag/quilt that looks like a good option. Full zipper, can be used as bag, quilt, or laid out flat. Doesn't have a hood but comes in several sizes so could be ordered long enough to cover your head if desired. It's on my 'wish list'.
    As Fallkniven said, the Wiggy's bags are very good. I have had a 20 degree bag for years and years. Still looks and performs as good as new. Heavy though - mine is over 4 pounds.

Just noticed you want a full length zipper. My Wiggy's does not have that.
    I haven't looked recently but I think I remember that Sierra Designs had some bags that might fit your needs.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I like the versatility and extra warmth a bag can provide when it gets too cold for a top quilt
    How cold does it have to be before it gets too cold for a TQ ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/ WBSF
    Insulation
    HG, JrB
    I use a top quilt year round, just a lower temp rating quilt. It doesn't get "too cold" for a top quilt unless you are below the temp rating.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    How cold does it have to be before it gets too cold for a TQ ?
    Usually about the time you start thinking to yourself "Hmmm, you know I would be a heck of a lot warmer if I could zip this up, snuggle in, envelop my head, neck and shoulders, maximize heat retention, minimize heat lost through leakage, and retain the warmth I am losing through the gaps and top end of the TQ every time I move. Brrrr...dang! I thought CBS was bad. Wish I had my WM or FF down mummy bag that I foolishly traded on the FS forum for this POS TQ."

Hammock
    DW Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Synthetic sleeping bag suggestions

Ive been using a Teton sports 20ー F mummy bag for a year now, synthetic but stuffs into a 6L compression sack. i had to superglue the zipper to keep it from unzipping and losing my foot box but can still use it as a sleeping bag if need be. i think i paid less than 50 for it a few years ago and have been happy with it for the price.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast