Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by GregfromHolland View Post
    How do you like it?
    I'm curious how it compares to the 90degree hammocktent.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC 10 met Tapatalk

It hasn't arrived yet, but did ship yesterday. I will post my thoughts on a comparison. But I know from the get go that given how much it weighs compared to the gamma UL/CF tarp and the overall comfort of the gamma UL v.2 it most likely won't be a fair comparison. I'm simply hoping it will be comfortable to use around home and for other non-backpacking purposes.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'm honestly just curious if the 45ish degree hang introduces any weird movement side effects, or if it reduces yaw and pitch, etc

Hammock
    HHSS
    Tarp
    HH catenary mod
    Insulation
    pad or sheep
    Suspension
    clamcleat
    There is little movement, but you will swing angular of the anchor points. These are quite high, like a swing with long chains, you have to put a lot of energy to get going. And rolling in the hammock is not a problem, you just end up against the fabric.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by hangmarter View Post
    There is little movement, but you will swing angular of the anchor points. These are quite high, like a swing with long chains, you have to put a lot of energy to get going. And rolling in the hammock is not a problem, you just end up against the fabric.
    Thanks for giving us some insight into some of the nuances of the Ergo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Okay, I've had several nights and days to evaluate the Ergo and thought I would pass along my thoughts and observations as requested. My first observation was that it certainly is a lot of fabric compared to the clinically clean lines of my Hammocktent Gamma UL ver. 2.0. Second observation was, Huh, the "First Sit Here When Entering" was dead on for balancing the hammock entry, i.e. a nice functional detail. I also notice that the 2016 model is completely different from all the web pictures; there is no "pad pocket" sewn into the second layer. Rather, there is another complete layer for stuffing the pad between the inner and outer layers. The differential size between the inner and outer layers is sufficient to prevent squishing the insulation value out of a pad or DIY IQ and that was good to see. In addition, there is a set of four small "daisy chains" sewn into the bottom of the upper layer near each end with light cords dangling that I assumed were for securing an Inner Quilt (IQ) or pad in position. However, after a couple nights I consulted the instructions to see just what they had in mind with the daisy chains and cords as you will see later.

I immediately completely unzipped the bug net and stuffed it into one of two mesh storage pockets (one at each end). This is because the main reasons for purchasing an Ergo was to have a daily use hammock that would save wear and tear on my Gamma UL backpacking hammock and to have a hammock without a net (or removable net) for use inside or outside when bugs are not a problem.

Next came the test drive over the nights. My impression is that there is plenty of room at six foot with the amount of fabric in the Ergo. One person asked about hammock swing, and it seems to me the Ergo tends to swing for a longer time than my Gamma UL, empirical observation not substantiated. The swing in any of my hammocks doesn't bother me in the least, and to the contrary, I find enjoyable.

However, for me, I did not find the lay in the intended position based on videos, pictures, and hammock construction comfortable (slight feet right/head left angle, aka normal lay). Not nearly as comfortable as my Gamma UL which I find to be better than either my WBRR or DH Raven. There is just too much of what I can "hyper knee extension" in that the lack of support under your knees in conjunction with the pressure on your feet may initially seem okay, but over a sustained period of time, e.g. over night, is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Then, much to my amazement, I noticed that if I shifted my feet into a "feet left/head right (aka reverse lay)" diagonal angle the knee hyper-extension disappeared and my legs were lying flat, no knee hyper-extension, and it was very comfortable. BUT, if I moved in to too much of a reverse lay my legs would be great, but the fabric would be bunching around my shoulders, neck, or head. Kind of like calf ridge, but at the head end ;-) I spent several nights using the reverse lay approach and it was okay. I must add that I sleep both on my back and sides and the side sleeping comfort was as good as the Gamma UL, which is the best of any hammock I've experienced.

However, this reverse lay presented somewhat of a problem with the Exped inflatable pads I was testing with the Ergo. The complete fabric outer layer, as compared to a static sewn in pad pocket, allowed the pads to shift as I changed positions throughout the night. It was okay since I was inside, but I knew if I was outside it would have been a serious case of CBS! Not acceptable. I then used the daisy chains to position the pads, but since I was using the reverse lay approach, this was not entirely successful. On the plus side, the complete fabric outer layer does away with the sewn pad pocket seam and the inherent "seam slippage" where the fabric stretches along the sewn seam. I plan on replacing the OEM cords with shock cords that would allow more flexibility in the tie outs and might prevent a mishap. In one of my email exchanges with Luke (hammocktent) when I was testing the Gamma UL ver. 2.0 I suggested using a complete outer layer like the new Ergo. I still think that with the proper design, e.g. the daisy chains or other attachment points, this design definitely has merits.

As I mulled this over, my honest thoughts were that I could not recommend the Ergo to anyone. Fidgeting and thrashing about to find that sweet spot, versus climbing into my Gamma UL and all is well, simply isn't something I could recommend. Since the hammock was now mine I was determined to modify the suspension into the "lazy S" like I did for my Gamma ULs by adding beads to the suspension strands. But the beads I wanted were sequestered away in an unknown moving box, yeeesh!

Then suddenly, the skys cleared, the sun shone through, and the birds began to once again chirp (not really because they are smart enough to abandon MT for warm climes until next spring). I pulled on one of the suspension strands and much to my surprise it moved. I pulled the strand through the upper sleeve. Lo and behold, there was knot with tails, all hidden up in the sleeve. Ah Ha! I thought perhaps I could retie the strands into my "lazy S" suspension. Wonderfully, the knots turned out to be figure 8 climbing knots that were able to be untied, albeit not exactly easily. I shorted up strands 4, 5, and 6 and lengthened 2 on each side. Frankly, this is a much better solution than my Gamma UL girth hitched beads.

After the modifications, I can lay, and sleep, in the Ergo in the intended lay position (slightly head left/feet right, aka normal) and the knee hyper-extension is solved...for me. The beauty is that it is easy to tweak and modify to your individual leg position or "lazy S" comfort. I still have work to do on modifying the pad securing system, but I am quite content with the Ergo now. It will be my nightly hammock and save my Gamma UL for forays into the mountains. Would I recommend the Ergo? Probably not, because unless it fits you fine out of the box, you would have to be a insatiable hammock tweaker, like me, to get it like the porridge..."just right".

ExpedErgo_12032017_4.jpgExpedErgo_12032017_3.jpgExpedErgo_12032017_2.jpgExpedErgo_12032017_1.jpg

Hammock
    90 degree Gamma Hammock
    Tarp
    Rab sil III
    Insulation
    exped synmat
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Okay, I've had several nights and days to evaluate the Ergo and thought I would pass along my thoughts and observations as requested. My first observation was that it certainly is a lot of fabric compared to the clinically clean lines of my Hammocktent Gamma UL ver. 2.0. Second observation was, Huh, the "First Sit Here When Entering" was dead on for balancing the hammock entry, i.e. a nice functional detail. I also notice that the 2016 model is completely different from all the web pictures; there is no "pad pocket" sewn into the second layer. Rather, there is another complete layer for stuffing the pad between the inner and outer layers. The differential size between the inner and outer layers is sufficient to prevent squishing the insulation value out of a pad or DIY IQ and that was good to see. In addition, there is a set of four small "daisy chains" sewn into the bottom of the upper layer near each end with light cords dangling that I assumed were for securing an Inner Quilt (IQ) or pad in position. However, after a couple nights I consulted the instructions to see just what they had in mind with the daisy chains and cords as you will see later.

I immediately completely unzipped the bug net and stuffed it into one of two mesh storage pockets (one at each end). This is because the main reasons for purchasing an Ergo was to have a daily use hammock that would save wear and tear on my Gamma UL backpacking hammock and to have a hammock without a net (or removable net) for use inside or outside when bugs are not a problem.

Next came the test drive over the nights. My impression is that there is plenty of room at six foot with the amount of fabric in the Ergo. One person asked about hammock swing, and it seems to me the Ergo tends to swing for a longer time than my Gamma UL, empirical observation not substantiated. The swing in any of my hammocks doesn't bother me in the least, and to the contrary, I find enjoyable.

However, for me, I did not find the lay in the intended position based on videos, pictures, and hammock construction comfortable (slight feet right/head left angle, aka normal lay). Not nearly as comfortable as my Gamma UL which I find to be better than either my WBRR or DH Raven. There is just too much of what I can "hyper knee extension" in that the lack of support under your knees in conjunction with the pressure on your feet may initially seem okay, but over a sustained period of time, e.g. over night, is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Then, much to my amazement, I noticed that if I shifted my feet into a "feet left/head right (aka reverse lay)" diagonal angle the knee hyper-extension disappeared and my legs were lying flat, no knee hyper-extension, and it was very comfortable. BUT, if I moved in to too much of a reverse lay my legs would be great, but the fabric would be bunching around my shoulders, neck, or head. Kind of like calf ridge, but at the head end ;-) I spent several nights using the reverse lay approach and it was okay. I must add that I sleep both on my back and sides and the side sleeping comfort was as good as the Gamma UL, which is the best of any hammock I've experienced.

However, this reverse lay presented somewhat of a problem with the Exped inflatable pads I was testing with the Ergo. The complete fabric outer layer, as compared to a static sewn in pad pocket, allowed the pads to shift as I changed positions throughout the night. It was okay since I was inside, but I knew if I was outside it would have been a serious case of CBS! Not acceptable. I then used the daisy chains to position the pads, but since I was using the reverse lay approach, this was not entirely successful. On the plus side, the complete fabric outer layer does away with the sewn pad pocket seam and the inherent "seam slippage" where the fabric stretches along the sewn seam. I plan on replacing the OEM cords with shock cords that would allow more flexibility in the tie outs and might prevent a mishap. In one of my email exchanges with Luke (hammocktent) when I was testing the Gamma UL ver. 2.0 I suggested using a complete outer layer like the new Ergo. I still think that with the proper design, e.g. the daisy chains or other attachment points, this design definitely has merits.

As I mulled this over, my honest thoughts were that I could not recommend the Ergo to anyone. Fidgeting and thrashing about to find that sweet spot, versus climbing into my Gamma UL and all is well, simply isn't something I could recommend. Since the hammock was now mine I was determined to modify the suspension into the "lazy S" like I did for my Gamma ULs by adding beads to the suspension strands. But the beads I wanted were sequestered away in an unknown moving box, yeeesh!

Then suddenly, the skys cleared, the sun shone through, and the birds began to once again chirp (not really because they are smart enough to abandon MT for warm climes until next spring). I pulled on one of the suspension strands and much to my surprise it moved. I pulled the strand through the upper sleeve. Lo and behold, there was knot with tails, all hidden up in the sleeve. Ah Ha! I thought perhaps I could retie the strands into my "lazy S" suspension. Wonderfully, the knots turned out to be figure 8 climbing knots that were able to be untied, albeit not exactly easily. I shorted up strands 4, 5, and 6 and lengthened 2 on each side. Frankly, this is a much better solution than my Gamma UL girth hitched beads.

After the modifications, I can lay, and sleep, in the Ergo in the intended lay position (slightly head left/feet right, aka normal) and the knee hyper-extension is solved...for me. The beauty is that it is easy to tweak and modify to your individual leg position or "lazy S" comfort. I still have work to do on modifying the pad securing system, but I am quite content with the Ergo now. It will be my nightly hammock and save my Gamma UL for forays into the mountains. Would I recommend the Ergo? Probably not, because unless it fits you fine out of the box, you would have to be a insatiable hammock tweaker, like me, to get it like the porridge..."just right".

ExpedErgo_12032017_4.jpgExpedErgo_12032017_3.jpgExpedErgo_12032017_2.jpgExpedErgo_12032017_1.jpg
    Thanks for the update. Great write up.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC 10 met Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for your assessment. I take it that given a choice you would pick the Gamma UL over the Ergo then? I'm glad I got a Beta when they were still available.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Thanks for your assessment. I take it that given a choice you would pick the Gamma UL over the Ergo then? I'm glad I got a Beta when they were still available.
    You are correct. I am very pleased with the Gamma UL. For me, the Gamma UL is an excellent light weight, compact (including CF tarptent), and very comfortable hammock. I hesitated in picking up a Beta too long...and they were gone. However, for the price, the tarp, and the intended purposes for the Ergo I am overall pleased with the purchase. Since I am six foot, it may even be more comfortable than a Beta ver. 1.0. I know you are a little shorter and the Beta probably fits you perfectly. I can tweak the Ergo to my hearts content, sleep in it at home, truck camp with it, and not be worried about theft or the ultimate demise through use.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, there's somebody trying to sell a Beta on the German Hammockforums. Maybe the seller would be willing to ship to the US, in case you are still looking for one. Alternatively, it doesn't seem to be difficult to build a 90° hammock, so you could give it a try if one of yours should fail eventually.

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    OTD, what is your impression of the Ergo tarp?

kg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast