Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

MI - 4th Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang Feb 22-25, 2018 - Pigeon River Country

Well, it was a new era at the 2017 Green Timbers Big Tree Hang here in Michigan with the cabin gone, but we hold true to our traditions and will be returning to our home base by the river in 2018. I figured it was time to get the planning thread started for the 4th Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Winter Hang in the snowy Pigeon River State Forest, located 7 miles west of Vanderbilt, MI.

The official date for this years hang is Thursday, Feb. 22 through Sunday, Feb 25th. I know a number of us will be arriving Thursday morning, but last year a few rolled early and graciously set up camp in the footprint of the old Lower Cabin.

There are miles of trails to explore in the tract, so bring your snowshoes. The river never freezes and water is available. Lots of hanging spots are located nearby. FYI, you might want to bring some extra long tree straps, there are some big trees! The 2 mile hike in takes an hour on a 2-track and is mostly flat. Let's hope for lots of snow this year. Pulks & snowshoes are recommended.

Bacon on the hour is a long-standing tradition with this crew, so come with a healthy appetite and enjoy a long weekend in the woods of northern Michigan. There will be a few cast iron frying pans, dutch ovens and big pots to purify water and help feed the crew. Just a short list of some of the food from past hangs: posada, sausage and gravy, farmer's breakfast, jambalaya, pheasant/wild rice soup, hot apple cider, coffee, bacon steaks, venison, chili, etc....

Post what you're bringing (food, group gear, etc) to the google spreadsheet or when you respond to the thread.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Be prepared to feed a group of 10 (2 main courses per meal so everyone's food that they hauled in gets eaten). We had around 20 or so that attended and it's always a good time. An extra tarp shelter for base camp or a table is always needed. Wood gathering is a group effort with guys cutting, hauling and processing. An extra saw or ax or two (or 3) would help move things along. A chainsaw always makes things go faster.

There is no fee for parking, but the lot is not huge and it can fill up fast. Please, carpool if you can...In past years, I've made arrangements with 2 gas stations at the Vanderbilt exit to stage cars, so I will get in touch with them and post the details later. I'm also in touch with the manager of the Pigeon River State Forest to let him know of our plans and give them the heads up about possible car overflow. With last years light snowfall, we used nearby Hare Road as the access point. It is not plowed or maintained in the winter. As we get closer, we'll have and update on snow condition and access points.

Note: Since this is a winter camping expedition, be prepared for a variety of conditions. We've had lows of -26 and highs in the 50's. Snow, rain, sleet, and high winds are always a possibility. Dial in your gear prior to getting out there and know what your comfort level is. We want everyone to be safe and enjoy their time out there. Travel in two's (or three's and four's) if possible.

Getting there:
    From I-75, depart at exit 290 and head south for Vanderbilt. In town turn east (left) on Sturgeon Valley Road and follow it for 7 miles. The main entry to Green Timbers is the stonegate trailhead (on north side of road) on Sturgeon Valley Road, reached just before crossing the Sturgeon River. Location details here (thank you Jim DuFresne).

Come on out and enjoy a weekend in the woods with friends! The price of admission is cheap: bring a pound a bacon, toss it in the pan and help out in camp. Looking forward to getting back north again to the Pigeon River State Forest for the 2018 Green Timbers Big Tree Hang!

Google Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Links to last 3 years of trip reports:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hang-Michigan
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...body-say-bacon
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=green+timbers
    Last edited by michigandave; 11-15-2017 at 12:26.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for getting this together Dave. Dates are on my calendar. Still not sure of my arrival time...but probably sometime on Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* + 2oz, Full
    Suspension
    DIY UCR, 1" Straps
    Looking forward to it! I may try and swing a half day Friday so I can get in during day light.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Looking forward to it! I may try and swing a half day Friday so I can get in during day light.
    I hope we'll see a repeat of your 2016 grand entrance on skis!

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Badwind7 here from Ky. Ive already got these dates saved and set aside. I want to try some new things this year. My new polk worked well last year. I have a chain saw and if it fits I will bring it to really get some good wood for the fires. I have been buying extra bacon and sausage, I will have a whole lot to bring. look forward to seeing all again. That's all for now folks from Northern Kentucky.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Added to Google Sheet!

Need to start looking at food options, numbers attending, what else is planned for food.... Hot food, Hot drinks!!

Large Tarp, some Stakes, Lines are coming. I'll bring some bankline for lashing/tying poles to fortify the tarp structure(s).

Planning on a December 2017 and at least 1-2x other Snow/Pulk outings in Jan/Feb 2018 to totally dial in my setup/gear lists.

Gregori

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregori View Post
    Added to Google Sheet!

Need to start looking at food options, numbers attending, what else is planned for food.... Hot food, Hot drinks!!

Large Tarp, some Stakes, Lines are coming. I'll bring some bankline for lashing/tying poles to fortify the tarp structure(s).

Planning on a December 2017 and at least 1-2x other Snow/Pulk outings in Jan/Feb 2018 to totally dial in my setup/gear lists.

Gregori
    I hope the weather report is accurate that we are supposed to get a lot of snow in Michigan.
    This hang looks like fun and I too hope to get out more.
    My snowshoes have hardly any use so far the last couple years. . . .

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Great to see the dates posted.

Looking forward to a snowy and cold winter, with lots of camping
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Not even going to jinx it for the 4th year in a row, so I'll act like I'm not even coming. No weather reports. No vacation turned in until week before. Brewing some good karma starting now.

Hammock
    WBRR or custom gathered end
    Tarp
    Larger in winter,
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles,
    Yes! I am really going to try and make this one. I will update the spreadsheet when I get conformation from Master.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast