Tarp
    HG Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Cool pad PLUS underquilt?

I've got a Warbonnet Ridgerunner with a sleeve for an inflatable sleeping pad. I have also modified my HG Incubator 20 degree to fit the Ridgerunner. Would it be beneficial in really cold weather to use both the pad and the UQ at the same time? or would the pad be blocking some of the insulation the UQ would provide?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

More insulation

Sure, the pad would just add some more insulation.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    Sure, the pad would just add some more insulation.
    Thanks, Goober! Hope to meet you at Hang Con in January.

I routinely do this, since my foot pad is also my sitpad- Might as well use it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks! thecatch20two. Are you going to Hang-Con? Maybe we will meet face to face sometime. All the best. Hang in there. lol.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Insulation isn't quite always additive. Maybe in a numbers sense, but not necessarily in keeping you warm. If your quilt rating is marginal for the temps, then adding a pad is probably worthwhile. Otherwise, its better to get to know the technical issues with getting the most out of your quilt.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I use an inflatable insulated pad in my hammocktent 90 degree; exped ergo; and DH Raven. If the temps exceed the comfort range of the pad, I put a 3/4 Phoenix on the Raven or put the pad on top the hammocktent or Ergo and insert a synthetic or down IQ into the pad pocket.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Montouk/0Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I thought about this over the weekend while sleeping in upper 30-degree weather. I am thinking about getting some reflectix to prevent cold arm. I was using a 20-degree sleeping bag and a 4 season jarbridge and was mostly toasty save for my arms. I ended up using my foot pad across my bag to give myself a little warmth. It made me think about just tying off some ccf to my pack, or maybe diy with some reflectix.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    When I use my Snugpak Cocoon sometimes it can be tricky to get hung just right w/o compressing it under me. So more often then not I end up hanging it slightly loose and then I'll slide a long piece of reflectix that covers from my butt to my shoulders between the Cocoon and hammock. This works great and Ive never had any issues with perspiration pooling or making the hammock wet under me. Ive also done this with my other synthetic UQs when I need to push them a little further. Since the reflectix is so thin and in between the Cocoon and hammock, it doesn't change the lay or comfort level of the hammock at all, it just makes a nice warm spot on your backside kinda like a down UQ does.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    When I use my Snugpak Cocoon sometimes it can be tricky to get hung just right w/o compressing it under me. So more often then not I end up hanging it slightly loose and then I'll slide a long piece of reflectix that covers from my butt to my shoulders between the Cocoon and hammock. This works great and Ive never had any issues with perspiration pooling or making the hammock wet under me. Ive also done this with my other synthetic UQs when I need to push them a little further. Since the reflectix is so thin and in between the Cocoon and hammock, it doesn't change the lay or comfort level of the hammock at all, it just makes a nice warm spot on your backside kinda like a down UQ does.
    Thanks Chesapeake....that may be my issue with the cold spots I've had when using the Snugpak Cocoon. I've got some reflectix here and may cut a piece and try that out. With the colder nights I've been wanting to try hanging in the yard again and maybe a short weekend trip to Trap Pond or something over Christmas... I know my 15* down sleeping bag will be fine as a TQ but I've been having issues getting the insulation under the hammock dialed in - so haven't been out since Thanksgiving weekend. Ordered a 0* HG Econ Incubator but now waiting for that to come in...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast