ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies

23 Mile Elkhorn River Kayak and Hammock Overnighter

The link to my youtube video of this trip is right HERE.
    IMG_0057.jpg
    The morning of October 28th, even with loaded up with our extra layers for the expected chilly weather, ThisOutdoorsMan and I were able to tandem-carry our kayaks to the river’s edge under the Highway 91 bridge. The water proved to be very cold as I hit some shallows early on and had to knuckle crawl a few yards to deeper water. The sun prevailed and warmed us up quickly as the morning continued. With a good flow, we glided for a little over two hours before stopping for lunch. Luckily, there were many areas with very smooth banks to beach our boats. I enjoyed some AlpineAire freeze-dried chili as my main course, while also enjoying the warm sun.
    IMG_0006.jpg
    Following lunch, we continued on toward our planned camping spot along the bank. We began to notice more submerged trees, but there was always plenty of room to skirt around them. I am still not sure why exactly I gained a false sense of confidence as my boat began to drift sideways, and I didn’t feel the need to correct it quickly. I felt my boat bump a submerged object, and by the time I had my paddle in my hands, the current pushed me onto a submerged branch. As my right side was lifted onto the branch, my left side dipped under the surface just enough for the current to pour in some water. The fast current simultaneously filled my cockpit and flipped me over. Thankfully, everything was tied in and stowed inside a dry bag or box, aside from my phone that was in my coat chest pocket.

Once I was kicked out of my kayak, I was able to stand on the same tree that flipped me over and grab onto my submerged boat. Holding onto the back of the cockpit by my seat, I lifted the back end up enough for some water to flow out the front. After standing like that for a few minutes (still not sure what was going through my mind), I stepped off the branch back into the water and pushed myself and my boat to the nearest bank, which was nearly vertical. ThisOutdoorsMan was able to find some footing and he lifted the front of my kayak into the air while I reached down and pulled my drain plug. Once most of the water was drained, we made our way to the other bank, which was much lower, and assessed the damage. Aside from my phone, my bag of river snack cinnamon bears took the worst beating.
    gopr4217.jpg
    After putting on the driest clothes that I had, we decided to just continue on and warm up with some paddling. I again took advantage of the warm sun to help me warm up and for my stuff to dry out. I used my GoPro extension pole to hang up my down-filled coat and towel behind me.
    gopr4219-2.jpg
    I also removed my wet socks and let my toes get some sun.
    gopr4219-1.jpg
    We paddled until around 6 PM and found a suitable spot with trees spaced well for our hammocks. After hanging the hammocks and pulling out all my dry bags, I realized that everything I brought was somewhat wet. I took advantage of an extra Atlas strap to make a clothes line for all my clothing and hung my insulation onto my hammock suspension to dry as much as possible before bed.
    gopr4220.jpg
    While ThisOutdoorsMan used his handsaw to cut wood, I used my Kabar to baton the chunks. Once we had our fire going we warmed up our cast iron skillets for some bannock and boiled water for ramen. I also used some extra cordage to hang my socks above the fire from a branch. With darkness upon us, we enjoyed our dinner along with the many sounds of this particular spot.
    IMG_0004.jpg
    We awoke the next day with a low of 35 degrees in the night. I was plenty warm, even with damp insulation. Thankfully I had thrown in my 0 degree quilt. We enjoyed a breakfast of oatmeal bannock and coffee before breaking down camp and continuing on our journey. With many more submerged trees and a steady wind, we spent most of the morning paddling rather than coasting, resulting in a fairly short journey that morning. We arrived at our destination to find that my truck was right where I had left it at Elkhorn Crossing.

Another journey in the books, with more to come.

Oh, and here is my garage afterwards, with all my gear drying out.
    IMG_0008.jpg
    Tree Rhino
    YouTube Channel-------------Website
    Twitter------Instagram------Facebook
    not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
    an optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Glad that the tip over turned out as good as it did. Could have been a lot worse. Sounds like an overall good trip.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Glad you are ok. Sounds like quite an adventure.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    We need the film of the capsize =) Other than that, great report, and good recovery from the tip-over. Glad it wasn't worse than it turned out to be!

Nothing worse than wet gear/clothes! Sounds like you made the best of it though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I like the use of the EE Convert to completely envelope the hammock. Did you also use an UQ or was the Convert enough?

I paddle the Elkhorn occasionally - where did you put in again? HWY 91 is a lot more than 23 miles to Elkhorn Crossing.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    I also like to use the convert to make a peapod. I did have the ENO ember on under me also, since everything was a bit damp. I have had just the Convert down to 18 degrees with a topquilt even.
    We did put in where highway 91 crosses over the Elkhorn, near Nickerson and went to Elkhorn crossing. It is about 24 miles by road to go around, and 22.9 river miles.
    Here is the map we took with us and the map of the way by road:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 9.07.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 9.03.02 AM.png
    Tree Rhino
    an optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    We need the film of the capsize =) Other than that, great report, and good recovery from the tip-over. Glad it wasn't worse than it turned out to be!
    ThisOutdoorsMan was saying the same thing. Neither of us was recording at the time.
    Tree Rhino

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rhino View Post
    We did put in where highway 91 crosses over the Elkhorn, near Nickerson and went to Elkhorn crossing. It is about 24 miles by road to go around, and 22.9 river miles.
    Here is the map we took with us and the map of the way by road:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 9.07.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 9.03.02 AM.png
    Aha - now I get it. For some reason I was thinking that Hwy 91 was a north/south route way further west
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks like a fun trip.

Around like a submerged strainer got you - thankfully it didn’t grab you in the current. Suggest you always wear your PFD - especially if there is current + chilly conditions.

I’m an avid kayak camper - it’s like a rite of passage for rookies to drown their phones, lose gear and drown their other gear in a capsize....everyone has to lean the hard way

Glad it all recovered and a good time was still had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts