Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I use both Tatos and prusiks - unsure which I like more.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I concur with 5 wraps, same or smaller diameter prussic line to RL and the slickness wearing off the Lash-It.

Make sure each and every time you setup the tarp that you correctly dress the knot. When the wraps overlap each other, it lessens the bite. Very important in high winds with added rain like here in Florida. Oh, if to only forget those nights...

Also, after the coating wore off my Lash-It a little, it helps the prussic to bite in. I can tell the difference in the worn area to the non worn area a little.

With that much Lash-it, you can still change your mind on the CRL because you will find many other uses for it like all your guy lines, draw cords, daisy chains, drip lines, clothes lines, bear bag lines, etc etc. Maybe even make a snare to catch your hiking buddy for fun.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    I concur with 5 wraps, same or smaller diameter prussic line to RL and the slickness wearing off the Lash-It.

Make sure each and every time you setup the tarp that you correctly dress the knot. When the wraps overlap each other, it lessens the bite. Very important in high winds with added rain like here in Florida. Oh, if to only forget those nights...

Also, after the coating wore off my Lash-It a little, it helps the prussic to bite in. I can tell the difference in the worn area to the non worn area a little.

With that much Lash-it, you can still change your mind on the CRL because you will find many other uses for it like all your guy lines, draw cords, daisy chains, drip lines, clothes lines, bear bag lines, etc etc. Maybe even make a snare to catch your hiking buddy for fun.
    Thank you for your well thought out response, good information right there, especially the buddy trap!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mountaineers use the prusik for crevass rescue.
    6mm cord on 9-11 mm rope. Wrap 4-6 times.
    I would stand on a loop, using the prusik only, and not slip.

+1, dress the knot each time.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangdang View Post
    Purely out of curiosity if prusik knots work why did you go with the bigger heavier option?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I still use prusiks for many things, but found that after a few years on my tarp, that sometimes adjusting them was a bit of a pain. Especially with gloves on. As the ZingIt gets worn in, the knots start binding more and more (catch 22) and it got so that I could not use them easily with gloves on. I just wanted to see if the Tatos were an easier solution and after using them, I think they are pretty nifty. It is much easier to move (adjust) the tarp on the ridgeline because once the Tatos are unwrapped/unlocked...you can slide the whole tarp along the RL with ease. With the prusiks, say you want to to move the whole tarp from left to right...you have to move the trailing prusik (left one) first and judge where it goes..then move the leading prusik to the right and adjust as needed. With the tatos I just find that simpler and easier. They weigh hardly anything so I wasnt worried about the weight difference. One thing I didnt like about the Tatos was the shock cord between the toggle and the connector...i actually switched the shockcord out to ZingIt and it works better for me.

ETA: I made a Dutch CRL clone for general RL use around camp. I always like to have a RL up (say near the kitchen or fire) for hanging items. On that RL I put 10 prusik loops and I can hang food, jackets, lanters, keys, gravity feed water filter, etc on those loops and position them anywhere on the line i choose. Prusiks rock (just not my preferred method for tarps any longer )
    Last edited by Burg54; 11-14-2017 at 17:53.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

My CRL ... after the tension is set, I can move the tarp without moving the prusik.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    My CRL ... after the tension is set, I can move the tarp without moving the prusik.
    huh? Not sure I am tracking. How would you be able to move your tarp along your CRL without moving your prusiks ?
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

May be hard to explain.
    I have one end of the CRL wrapped around the tree and the small carabiner, at the end of the CRL, clips onto the ring of the tarp, and the CRL, that comes from the other side of the tree, runs through the carabiner. The CRL continues, over the tarp to the other tree.
    The other end of the CRL wraps around the other tree, and the other carabiner is attached to the line with a prusik loop, where the CRL then drops to the ground. The carabiner is clipped to the ring on the tarp and the CRL, that came from the other side, is run through that carabiner.

Then all I have to do is slide the tarp left or right on the Crl. Just like a laundry line on pulleys.
    One side (loop around the tree) gets longer and the other side (loop around the tree) gets shorter. When it is placed where I want it, I stake the guylines.

I thought everyone did it that way.

Ken in NC
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Klemheist knot-holds better under tension

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    UCR w/Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    May be hard to explain.
    I have one end of the CRL wrapped around the tree and the small carabiner, at the end of the CRL, clips onto the ring of the tarp, and the CRL, that comes from the other side of the tree, runs through the carabiner. The CRL continues, over the tarp to the other tree.
    The other end of the CRL wraps around the other tree, and the other carabiner is attached to the line with a prusik loop, where the CRL then drops to the ground. The carabiner is clipped to the ring on the tarp and the CRL, that came from the other side, is run through that carabiner.

Then all I have to do is slide the tarp left or right on the Crl. Just like a laundry line on pulleys.
    One side (loop around the tree) gets longer and the other side (loop around the tree) gets shorter. When it is placed where I want it, I stake the guylines.

I thought everyone did it that way.

Ken in NC
    I do. But with a truckers hitch instead of prussik. Gives a nice V for your suspension too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast