Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Uq, tq and hammock go in main body. Puffy when I take it. Everything else goes in side or stretch pockets. Anything that never gets wet or dirty or I don't need or prefer quick access quickly.

No one wants to pack a few soaked tarp in the main body, or their water filter or cook kit that may be sooty.

Soooo much easier packing in the mornings just jamming into your pack and compresses them less

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Ok. Here’s what I do. Lazy slug tube. Quilts, hammock, sleep clothes, pillow, earplugs all stay together and go into the slug tube (think a fatter version of a tarp snakeskin made of mesh). All this goes into the compactor bag in my OHM first. I can smash it way down by gathering the top of the bag and pushing it down letting the air out. Then I twist it and tuck it away from where my back would be.

Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy "Bull" Bullock View Post
    Ok. Here’s what I do. Lazy slug tube. Quilts, hammock, sleep clothes, pillow, earplugs all stay together and go into the slug tube (think a fatter version of a tarp snakeskin made of mesh). All this goes into the compactor bag in my OHM first. I can smash it way down by gathering the top of the bag and pushing it down letting the air out. Then I twist it and tuck it away from where my back would be.

Works for me.

Did you buy or make the slug tube? Can you give some approximate dimensions on it? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Here's another option for you.

The slug sack.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...DIY-Slug-Sack?

I've really enjoyed the ease of setup and take down. As my quilts got fluffier and larger, I started packing only the Underquilt, hammock, baby hammock, and suspension into the lazy sack. TQ goes into the pack liner at the bottom. Then clothes, then lazy bum double stuff sack.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    To address the OP, I'm a non-stuff sack guy. I use 20* quilts and so far haven't had a problem. I currently use a compactor bag as a pack liner. I put my night/warm clothes in first, TQ, UQ, then hammock. Push all that down and twist/fold the top. Hammock suspension and other stuff that wet doesn't hurt goes in next.

I am interested in a Slug Tube like Andy mentioned though.

There's no RIGHT way, really, there's just the way that works for you.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Did you buy or make the slug tube? Can you give some approximate dimensions on it? Thanks!
    http://www.wildernesslogics.com do a quick search for “lazy” and it’ll pop up.

They make one for a bridge hammock too and it’s the one I use (since I usually sleep in a ridgerunner).

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have never had an issue keeping the quilts tucked down in their place in the pack. I smash everything down into the pack liner a much as I can then push one side of the liner down tucking it between the other side of the liner and the quilts. Then tuck the other side over it between pack and liner. This has worked well to get a seal on the liner bag so that the quilts stay compressed down. I find this works better than rolling or twisting the top of the liner closed...using the quilts own natural presser to expand to create a tight seal at front and back of the pack.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    That is how I do my stuff. I pack it last in; first out. In other words, clothes that I don't need during the day go in first, then my TQ, UQ and the hammock last; that way what I need, the hammock, is the first thing out. I have not had anything wet yet and I can cram stuff in until it fills every little bit of space in my 45 liter pack & it is lighter than all the stuff sacks that I would need. I have been doing this for years and never wished for a stuff sack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I put a pack liner in my bag, put extra clothes at the bottom, then my TQ, my Igneous Socks (from Bonefire Gear), down pillow, and sleeping balaclava into my Bonefire Whisper, zip it closed, and stuff on top of the clothes with the amsteel loops near the top. Seal the bag up and everything else goes on top in another bag or in pockets.

Definitely a timesaver. That's why I like the Bonefire hammock. I keep my tarp and tree straps on the outside. When I find my site, I put up the tree straps, hook up my tarp to them (see Bonefire's Deluxe Suspension) and if it's raining I peg out the tarp before attaching the hammock. If it's not raining, I just take out the hammock and hook it to the suspension and I'm ready to nap.

Simple stuff man.
    Brady

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    Thank you all for your insite, I'm going to give it a try and see how I like it.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast