Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    To solve the bridging issue, I ran inside and grabbed my CDT TQ and stacked it inside the -10° Burrow...... Talk about a literal mountain of down! The CDT effectively filled the space created by the bridging Burrow and added a few more ounces of down to the already insane amount. Once I got back in and settled I had over 12" of down between me and the sub zero frozen hell scape outside of my hanging downy nest! Add in my clothing and quick snack to stoke the furnace up for the final push through the coldest part of the morning and I was good to go. I woke up to a reading of 88° inside my quilts and a low of -10° outside . I did have some frost in front of my face on the Burrow , on the jungle blanket at was over the RL at my feet and on the inside of the sock at the top but it wasn't too bad since I left a gap in the zipper by my face this time.All in all I'd say it was a success since I learned of a weakness in my system and how to correct it. How did everyone else make out? Any lessons learned?
    Thanks for the tip on the CDT. I’m leaving tomorrow for Dolly Sods where the forecast calls for single digits. I love my EE Revelation, but it’s rated for 20 and hovering near zero will be pushing it.

I took my CDT Gemini and stacked inside this morning, PERFECT fit! The EE even has a few CAM snaps for the footbox and they line up almost perfectly with the Gemini. So I just left them stacked and put into the compactor bag. I also added the Gemini UQ and put it between my HG Incubator and the hammock, again it seems like a perfect fit. I feel pretty comfortable that I can easily get to sub zero with this setup.

I’ll let y’all know after this weekend (even though I won’t be at home for this one.)

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple
    Haven't hung outside since the temps fell but got 2 eons hung in the bedroom that my wife and I lounge in to wind down after the kids go to bed. Can't wait for the warmer weather!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Back from 2 nights in the Hammock Hot Tent....vid loading now.
    Got down to -16c then -15c inside the Tent....no way I'm stoking fire by night. Stacked my UQ's and topped things with the 0* TQ
    Tonight it's back to the deck and currently -11c....suppose to warm right back up to the freeze mark for Sat
    Always good times when yah have a hammy
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    After a week of mild temps I'm finally heading back out tonight. Should be around 10° and feel around 0° with the wind so I'm gonna pitch my OMW with my Argon hammock and no sock this time and might tr to push the ONETIGRIS 10° UQ to see what it made of. The only thing I just can't get past is the fit. Ive got to add longer shock cord to be able to use it with my 11' hammocks, and once I get diagonal and flat with it snugged under my butt and back it hangs well under my legs causing a large gap. Ive tried a RL quilt hook, pullingnit as tight as I could w/o compressing , and just about every trick I could think of and as long as its good under my top half the bottom half sags. I just dont think its designed for 11" hammocks. So we'll see how it goes.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I find I have to string the Hammock a little tighter to get a little more flatter lay and that allows the quilt to better fill the space under/by the legs.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Saw my personal low last weekend.. 16 F

I was absolutely comfortable in a HG 20 set.. no cold feet either!

Only wish is that it would have snowed.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hi folks! Looking for some feedback on a nice looking and quality stand for home hanging, indoors - non portable. I use an 11 foot gathered end double, it's going in my bedroom. Has anybody tried an Algoma, or similar? It looks nice, just not sure about all the frame under my feet. I guess I could modify a little with some foam blocks/padding, and throw a rug or blanket over that, kinda make a step. What do you think, or where could I find out? Anybody got one or know somebody who does?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That would be a huge footprint in the room.
    Can you not mount connectors on the walls?
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Weather called for 34 last night, so I made a few changes just to see. I hung my tarp and Hammock a little higher so there was more airflow underneath and between me and the tarp, and I went out in just normal pajama bottoms and a wool long sleeve shirt. I also left the doors open on my tarp.

Well, it got down to 28, and by 6 I was “cool.” Not cold, but definitely not a snug as I had been in the past. And it was really just around my legs. I’m a little shocked because my 20* Revelation has been outstanding so far, my back, snuggled by a 0* Incubator, was still toasty even without an underquilt protector.

So now I’m thinking anything under 40, and I still need a good base layer to stay good and warm. I’m actually going to try another 20* hang in shorts and t-shirt to see how the Revelation will warm up under those conditions. I almost thinking I wasn’t transferring enough heat to the quilt.

That’s the beauty of backyard hangs: virtually zero risk I seeing how low you can push it so you know your limits and what you need to bring when you go out. I don’t mind carrying extra insulation if warranted, but if I can get away with less and do so comfortably, then all the better.

Happy hanging, everybody!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I think it had less to do with the 20* TQ and more with the 0* UQ not snugging up under your legs or most likely a air space just to the side of your legs sucking the heat out...why I said earlier to string the Hammock a little tighter to help keep these 0* UQ fully snugged up under the Hammock. If it is not right it is always to the side of my legs from the butt up that feels it.
    Keep playing TxAggie... sure can't beat the knowledge one gains by using their gear constantly

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast