Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    I'm a new hammock camper with a Ridgerunner and Spindrift that I got last month. Waiting on payment for a project I just completed so I can order a sub-zero quilt but with long manufacturing lead times, my old ground dwelling gear will have to suffice for a few more months.

I'm trying to see how far down the thermometer I can take a 22 year old 0° Slumberjack synthetic bag with a Klymir V luxe insulated pad. Last night it was very comfortable down to 20°F by adding an equally old summer bag loosely over top.

Two nights ago was in the upper 20s but with very high winds and the old 0° Slumberjack alone barely kept up with the wind chill. The wind kept me awake for a few hours as the wind battered the tarp and tossed me about, but it gave me time to reflect on how I actually enjoy this. Really.

Still, even hanging at home with work the next day, is like being on a mini-vacation adventure. I get to hear the sounds I normally would miss in the winter, owls, coyotes, foxes and last night (I think) a fisher.

Wayne

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    At the freezing point for the night and the snow turned to pitter patter of rain and showers....the forecast Dart completely missed that one.
    But it is a good reason to never rely on forecasts but to learn to understand weather and how to manage it when outdoors hence use your gear as much as possible at home
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Perfect timing... First subfreezing gang for me.

Acurite thermometer registered 28 degree low overnight.

DIY hammock with WB Superfly pitched in summer mode... Rather high because though it was cold get was no wind. HG 20 kit kept me warm except for my toes.. I had my down jacket over the ridge and could have wrapped my feet but it wasn't bad enough to get me up and my brain want really working.

Woke up around 9 am.. Which I never do!!

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    My coldest so far this year was last night at a balmy 27. It was 15 when we hit the trail on Saturday, so we got the warm side. My gear was the same cold-weather gear as last year: Hammock gear 20 degree incubator (which has seen 17 degrees so far) and my 15 degree burrow (my first TQ purchase as a hanger, in 2011). Both performed at their usual best, but this time it was with the dog and I in the hammock (she is 40 pounds of solid mutt). I woke up almost too hot, but was so glad to have such great quilts.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Hanging again tonight. Considering I my first outside hang overnight was only about 9 months ago, two weekends in a row is pretty good for me.

Is it weird that I’m disappointed that it’s warmer and only supposed to be in the mid 30s this weekend?

When I started hanging, I built a hammock stand and put it in my house. It was a learning curve but eventually I enjoyed it better then my bed. I slept in it nonstop for over a month. I then moved it out side when the temps go wormer. I slept in it a lot that spring and summer. That winter I made an underquilt that was a heck of a messy task. I had a down bed quilt that was to warm to ever actually us on the bed in the house. Bought a couple of cloth shower curtains. Sewed them together with baffles. Got in the tube/shower, closed the door and the shower curtain. Began to take the down out of the quilt. Down was flying every where. Put the down into trash bags. Then put the down into the make shift underquilt liner. Talk about an ordeal! Finished it just see that down was seeping out of the newly made underquilt. I still have it though. Last winter I bought an underquilt. I used the bought one and the one I made plus my down sleeping bag one night. The temp actually got down to 19F and I stayed totally warm all night. I was shocked how well I slept at that temp. So this winter I will sleep out back a lot with the same setup. The experiance building my DIY underquilt was horrible but it did it's job for me. I sleep a lot out back now and actually look forward to a night alone.

Hanging out back tonight. Temps are suppose to get down to around 29F.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnystriple View Post
    Hanging out back tonight. Temps are suppose to get down to around 29F.
    Odd, as we are supposed to get to 27-28 tonight. I would have thought Owensboro would have been a lot cooler. Have fun.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Going to give it a shot here tonight! Supposed to get down to 32. Looks like I’ll have my first foray into the 20s Wednesday night. I’ve only been a covert to the hammock for a year now but skipped last winter. This year I’m hanging 4 seasons!

Not according to the forecast on my phone. 29 at 3:00 to 6:00 AM

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast