Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I replaced mine with extra strong 3mm shock cord:

Works well for me. And shock cord is more durable than the stock rubber band.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

I'm not sure if I'm picturing correctly what you did. But if you want to use the Wooki with a longer hammock, you need to extend the suspension on both sides, not just the head end. Otherwise the insulated part will move too much in the opposite direction, as you apparently noticed.

Here is what the extension of my regular Wooki looks like on a WB Traveler XL:

Head end

Foot end

Because I want to be able to switch the Wooki quickly to different hammocks, I spliced two 12" daisy chains from cheap polyester line. I larksheaded one to the loop on the head end of the Wooki. And I clipped the other one into the mini biner of the foot end. With the help of two mini biners I can adjust the length of the suspension on both ends. And I can also control to some extent where the insulated part will end up. There are limits, of course, but since I usually hang all of my hammocks in a similar way to my Blackbirds (head end quite a bit lower than the foot end), I have never had a problem with the insulation being too close to the head end.

The key to fitting the Wooki to a longer hammock is to keep it tight enough against the hammock, but retaining an elastic element that also breaks long before the Wooki rips. If you make the extension from shock cord, you are introducing too much stretch into the system. If you remove the rubber band without replacing it with a piece of shock cord of similar length and stretch, you run the risk of ripping the Wooki. I have destroyed 2 rubber bands already, because I accidentally sat in the Wooki instead of the hammock or simply set up the Wooki too tight. Since I have run out of rubber bands, I'm now using an extra strong 3mm shock cord loop that is the same length as the rubber band and is attached to the Wooki in the same way. That has worked very well for me so far. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info and photos, l have an 11" hammock and the xl Wooki, from my understanding as for my lay position is more of a centred into the middle of hammock.

The purchase of a regular Wooki might have been better suited because of the amount of shock cord l added with the head end.. simply to make the a new position of the insulation would be in line.

I tied a knot in the foot end of the fabric due to the excess fabric, after the amount shifting down ward for the new insulation positioning, the foot end ended up with some fabric bulk.. hence why a regular Wooki with a longer amount of cord at the head end may line up ok down at the foot end with no or little excess..... well for situations like this..... but really l am not overly worried about it, l will probably order a 3 season in a few months and purchase the regular.

Thanks, l will leave the shock cord on at the foot end for the give and for tension... then remeasure some rigid cord for the head end as to fit to a better seal.
    Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The wooki insulated area is not centered - it is offset to the head end by perhaps a foot or so if I recall

Good luck!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    The wooki insulated area is not centered - it is offset to the head end by perhaps a foot or so if I recall

Good luck!
    Hey there pharmGeek, when l set my Wooki up out of the box with no mods.... this is a non BBXLC hammock... with this now set up and me inside l noticed my feet were outside of the insulation by roughly about a foot and hence there was a lot of insulation up past my head....... l then added about 2/3 ft of shock cord through the whipped end with the head end... this adaptation brought the Wooki downwards to be much better centred for my hammock and now my lay position and the insulation is now past my feet, l would say it is now perfect...
    Sorry l haven't explained things clearly.... and thanks for sharing in with help!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Thanks for the info and photos, l have an 11" hammock and the xl Wooki, from my understanding as for my lay position is more of a centred into the middle of hammock.

The purchase of a regular Wooki might have been better suited because of the amount of shock cord l added with the head end.. simply to make the a new position of the insulation would be in line.

I tied a knot in the foot end of the fabric due to the excess fabric, after the amount shifting down ward for the new insulation positioning, the foot end ended up with some fabric bulk.. hence why a regular Wooki with a longer amount of cord at the head end may line up ok down at the foot end with no or little excess.....
    Before you buy a new Wooki, why don't you try hanging the head end lower? You might find that your hammock feels more comfortable that way. Or at least not worse. This would solve your problem. As I said, I hang all my hammock with the head end lower, which is why the Wooki fits perfectly without moving the insulation.

Before you buy a new Wooki, why don't you try hanging the head end lower? You might find that your hammock feels more comfortable that way. Or at least not worse. This would solve your problem. As I said, I hang all my hammock with the head end lower, which is why the Wooki fits perfectly without moving the insulation.
    I do have the foot end higher maybe 8 or so inches higher... with no calf ridge or shoulder squeeze, l have based on my left shoulder level with the tie out to be my measurement and l am say 5"7.... l have slept outside in much this same foot head geo for over three years whilst using traditional UQ, this was my set up to go.... l only noticed when l set the Wooki up out of the box then lay in my hammock l realised l had no insulation under my feet?

l only thought about thinking up a method to mod the Wooki to unite with my bed time hammock lay position, l hadn't actually thought about changing my hammock position to fit the Wooki! Lol!...... Anything is possible.. l guess this could be achieved.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    I have made several "Wooki style" underquilts, some of them was specially adapted for Hennessy Hammocks. I sew on some webbing with a little toggle on, to the side of the uq. It corresponded with the tie outs on the hammock and made a perfect fit! 20171012_132808.jpg

You can get a peek of it, in this film at the 17 min mark. It's in danish, but you'll get the picture...

Check out my website http://fimbulgear.dk/
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

Hammock
    WBBBXLC 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I replaced mine with extra strong 3mm shock cord:

Works well for me. And shock cord is more durable than the stock rubber band.
    Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Thanks for this information, I have eldorado, but my 345cm hammock as well, and was trying to fit the wookie on that one. It is still not 100%, but much better as in the beginning. The best tip is to put the head end of the underquilt to the head end of the hammock Not reversed !

I think there comes also the ridgeline to play the role, as the eldorado has longer ridgeline. I have adjustable one on my DYI hammock, will play more with that. Even my best try still had the wookie too much floppy on the shoulders.

TIP: I made small shoopie sling from zing it to be able to adjust the length of the foot end on the wookie for larger hammock. The head end I put fixed eye loop from amsteel through the original rubber band.

I made some heavy duty rubber bands by cutting some cross-sections of a bicycle tube. They stretch a lot and are as tough as you'll find. One or two of these (end to end) on each end, and the Wooki can be easily adusted to any 11' hammock....possibly even a 10' or a 12' too if necessary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12