Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question WB Wooki with a Hennessy Expedition/Chameleon

I am struggling with keeping my standard rectangle UQ in place on any of my asym hammocks (Hennessy Exped and Chameleon). I have watched Shug's video (and other YouTubers) on UQ adjustments, I have tried many different clips and hooks to keep the UQ aligned to the asym lay. Then I discovered Warbonnet's Wooki UQ. Before I make another large investment, I am wondering if a WB Wookie might be the answer. Anyone have have experience with a Wooki on a Hennessy and/or Chameleon?

Thanks!!

Another option for you before you throw down your cash on a Wooki, that l can't say will snap seal on clean without some kind adjustments? would be to check in with arrowhead equipment, Paul has a Hennessy specific UQ (the Potomac) an asym cut with tie outs matching in with the HH.... l used a 3 season Patomic on a HH ULBP this was perfect, this did also work on other non HH l have minus the use of the hammock tie outs.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Wooki will work with any normal gathered end hammock. I have been using my Wookis with all of my DIY hammocks for more than a year now. However, it's easiest to fit the Wooki to a non-Warbonnet hammock if the hammock is at least as long or a bit longer than it. And you need to fit the Wooki's extension to the hammock length. In order for the Wooki to perform best, it needs to be tight against the hammock. I helped a couple of people fit their Wookis to non-Warbonnet hammocks, and the biggest mistake they made was not setting it up tight enough. Keep the rubber band on the Wooki, but make the extension out of non-elastic cords. Otherwise you won't get it to press against the hammock with sufficient force.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The Wooki will work with any normal gathered end hammock. I have been using my Wookis with all of my DIY hammocks for more than a year now. However, it's easiest to fit the Wooki to a non-Warbonnet hammock if the hammock is at least as long or a bit longer than it. And you need to fit the Wooki's extension to the hammock length. In order for the Wooki to perform best, it needs to be tight against the hammock. I helped a couple of people fit their Wookis to non-Warbonnet hammocks, and the biggest mistake they made was not setting it up tight enough. Keep the rubber band on the Wooki, but make the extension out of non-elastic cords. Otherwise you won't get it to press against the hammock with sufficient force.
    Hey there hutzelbein, it is always of great benifit to read up on your posts, your hammock experience in this forum is ace!
    I actually am using a 20* Wooki on my non BBXLC or BB, in order to set a good positioning of the insulation l was to add close to 2" of, l fed shock cord through the whipped end or the head end, purely to enable my shoulders to line up and feet to be fully covered.
    This effect of added length of cord with the head end, slid down the Wooki at foot end, l ended up with quite a lot of the fabric unable to attach, so l tied in a knot in the fabric to reduce the length, replaced the rubber band with 3mm shock cord.
    Interestingly as you just mentioned.... l will now change the head end back to a non elastic cord for a better seal connection.
    At this moment l am stacking with a 20* climashield quilt, we have had a drop in the springtime temperature and l am a cold sleeper..... in saying, l have the Wooki set up with just enough tension without compressing and this works well. To be honest l would really like a non tapered Wooki using the extra width of insulation, l have a full time set up going on and not truly concerned so much pack weight.

Thank you hutzelbein for this extra info with re Wooki set up.... and Bike 2 camp if you want the Wooki? Well here it is mate! Anything is possible, with some more great insight here from hutzelbein, more tips bits being on offer to adapt on a with a Wooki!
    All the best!

Just wanted to make a correction with the temp ratings of the UQ l mentioned they are in fact 40* not 20*...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah - I’ve used my wooki now on several gathered end hammocks

The marketing can make one think there is some special sauce about the fit to the WB specifically but mostly it, just like all or most gathered end hammocks - is a rectangle of fabric with gathered ends - native width of the wooki vs the hammock may vary - and of course the cut end point length will vary

The wooki when I gathered looks like this:

Loooooooove the wooki!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I have slept in both a rectangular 2/3 length UQ and a Wookie, there is in my mind no comparison, the Wookie is far more comfortable, and much easier and quicker to setup. The only drawback is it's increase in pack space required (not much more, but it a slight difference) and a few more grams. Once you go Wookie you'll never go back!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    I actually am using a 20* Wooki on my non BBXLC or BB, in order to set a good positioning of the insulation l was to add close to 2" of, l fed shock cord through the whipped end or the head end, purely to enable my shoulders to line up and feet to be fully covered.
    This effect of added length of cord with the head end, slid down the Wooki at foot end, l ended up with quite a lot of the fabric unable to attach, so l tied in a knot in the fabric to reduce the length, replaced the rubber band with 3mm shock cord.
    I'm not sure if I'm picturing correctly what you did. But if you want to use the Wooki with a longer hammock, you need to extend the suspension on both sides, not just the head end. Otherwise the insulated part will move too much in the opposite direction, as you apparently noticed.

Here is what the extension of my regular Wooki looks like on a WB Traveler XL:

Head end

Foot end

Because I want to be able to switch the Wooki quickly to different hammocks, I spliced two 12" daisy chains from cheap polyester line. I larksheaded one to the loop on the head end of the Wooki. And I clipped the other one into the mini biner of the foot end. With the help of two mini biners I can adjust the length of the suspension on both ends. And I can also control to some extent where the insulated part will end up. There are limits, of course, but since I usually hang all of my hammocks in a similar way to my Blackbirds (head end quite a bit lower than the foot end), I have never had a problem with the insulation being too close to the head end.

The key to fitting the Wooki to a longer hammock is to keep it tight enough against the hammock, but retaining an elastic element that also breaks long before the Wooki rips. If you make the extension from shock cord, you are introducing too much stretch into the system. If you remove the rubber band without replacing it with a piece of shock cord of similar length and stretch, you run the risk of ripping the Wooki. I have destroyed 2 rubber bands already, because I accidentally sat in the Wooki instead of the hammock or simply set up the Wooki too tight. Since I have run out of rubber bands, I'm now using an extra strong 3mm shock cord loop that is the same length as the rubber band and is attached to the Wooki in the same way. That has worked very well for me so far. Hope that helps.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I need to find a comparable rubber band for my diy wooki - I thought like a band from a like vacuum machine maybe? Not sure where to find them

For a wooki that is too long for a given hammock - shortening it on both sides is easy too - just kinda whip it to a shorter length with some cord and you are good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I need to find a comparable rubber band for my diy wooki - I thought like a band from a like vacuum machine maybe? Not sure where to find them
    I replaced mine with extra strong 3mm shock cord:

Works well for me. And shock cord is more durable than the stock rubber band.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast