Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chameleon: Wide vs Reg?

I have yet to pull the trigger on my Chameleon....I think I've got the fabric figured out, but now the width. I've never had the opportunity to lay in a wide gathered end hammock. What are the advantages? Is it easier to side sleep in them, or achieve a more diagonal lay?

Help!

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Maybe Wide would be a better option if you’re taller than 6’3” — the most distinct advantage to a wide chameleon is that it comes in Moroccan Blue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Everbody is different, and for a wide range of variables such as height, girth, personal preference and physical ailments. No matter what anybody tells you, the only way to KNOW is to try. Better if you can set up side by side. Better yet if you can try for mulitple consecutive nights, at least three. If possible, get or make a relatively inexpensive netless in both standard and wide versions and compare. Then get the width of chameleon that suits YOU best. Sell the netless if you no longer need them.

That said...I'm 5'4" and on the lighter end of the scale and have more than my share of physical ailments. I'm talking finished widths here. I find that 70" is just rediculous overkill. 60" is perfect as a backpacker and 62" is nice indoors, not too excessive. I also find that even with a much wider width, no matter how diagonal I start out I always wake up at the same angle as if I were in a standard width hammock.

So with all that, you now know no more than you did before. Happy experimenting!

Actually, squid mark, I do know more now than I did before, so thanks for your post!

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images
    I have a regular width chameleon I have been using all year and I am getting my wide chameleon in the mail on Monday. I have very little experience with wide hammocks, but I felt like I needed more fabric to stretch out on for a better lay then I was getting in the chameleon, even though I loved it and figured out how to sleep in it, so I bit the bullet and am about to find out more. So, while this does not tell you anything new, I will definitely try and let you know as soon as I can what the difference is for me. Good luck and I’m so curious what others have to say on this isssue!

Hammock
    Dutch/Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Dyi underquilt
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle 15'
    Please let us know the difference, I lay good in my chameleon, but I wonder if it could be great if it were wider,I'm 6' if that matters.

I’m shorter than most that would be considering a wide (5’7”)and only got to try out the wide for a short period vs my regular width one, so take my comments with a big grain of salt. For lounging, even at my height, I found the wide (even) more comfortable than the regular width. Calf ridge and ankle pressure/ knee hyperextension were non-existent. There was some excess fabric and the space felt cavernous, but was extremely comfortable and didn’t flop in when using the tie-outs. My brother(who ended up with a wide and is around 6’) has felt like much of the advantage gained by the extra material was lost when using a regular width underquilt. We didn’t spend a lot of time really trying to dial it in however, so this issue might be surmountable with some tweaking, a wide underquilt, or a Wooki. I’d be interested to hear how people with a wide have felt their underquilt works with it and if they have any tips for taking advantage of the width (with underquilt).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    I had a similar question...
    So I made two hammocks.
    The first was an 11' out of Hexon 2.4
    The second was 11.5' out of Hexon 1.6 wide

Still experimenting with them.
    It seems like I lay about the same angle in both hammocks.
    As a restless sleeper, the added width just makes it a bit easier/more confident to squirm around within the hammock.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by knightshade View Post
    I had a similar question...
    So I made two hammocks.
    The first was an 11' out of Hexon 2.4
    The second was 11.5' out of Hexon 1.6 wide

Still experimenting with them.
    It seems like I lay about the same angle in both hammocks.
    As a restless sleeper, the added width just makes it a bit easier/more confident to squirm around within the hammock.
    Kind of sounds like it's best to just go with the wide if you aren't sure. Other than weight penalty, is seems like there isn't much for a downside (am I wrong?)

For my 6 foot 210lb frame, it's a no-brainer. The wide is so much more comfortable than a regular width hammock, of which I have two.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast