DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Mmmm, bacon!

Don't forget the charcoal for Billy Goat's gruff dog!

Just about finished my winter tarp, and have a bit more work on my hammock sock. I think the combination with my 6 oz climashield quilts will take me down to about 20F.

Also have the supplies to make a pair of down quilts, but I don't know if I'll have them done in time. Will probably start the UQ first...

Billy Goat - I ended up buying a ULA Circuit after giving up on the idea of making my own BP. How is yours working out?

mathineer

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post

Billy Goat - I ended up buying a ULA Circuit after giving up on the idea of making my own BP. How is yours working out?

mathineer
    It is/was super comfy. Carries at least 30 lbs very well. Not anywhere near waterproof, I found out, lucky to have all my dry stuff in a compactor bag. I have to remake my carbon fiber pockets for the frame because it wound up poking the frame rails through the stitching on the same outing that proved it wasn't waterproof. It turns out that it does carry pretty well without the frame, but I definitely prefer it with it. I've got plenty of stuff to bring it back to life. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. There will be a version 2, as well, with improvements learned from the first one. And I won't get in a hurry and the seams will be sealed.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    It is/was super comfy. Carries at least 30 lbs very well. Not anywhere near waterproof, I found out, lucky to have all my dry stuff in a compactor bag. I have to remake my carbon fiber pockets for the frame because it wound up poking the frame rails through the stitching on the same outing that proved it wasn't waterproof. It turns out that it does carry pretty well without the frame, but I definitely prefer it with it. I've got plenty of stuff to bring it back to life. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. There will be a version 2, as well, with improvements learned from the first one. And I won't get in a hurry and the seams will be sealed.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cool! I hope we both make it so I can see the result!

mathineer

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Advice to all; check the weather; whatever they forecast for that area, subtract at least 5 degrees. If you have a quilt protector, bring it as it cuts down on the wind robbing heat from your under quilt. Good socks and a good hat help tremendously. If you have a sit pad, put that under your feet; that'll help a lot.

There's no water on top of bell mountain so bring in what you need for the morning and the hike out.

It's only 5 or so miles to the top so if you take you're time, anyone should be able to make it to the top.

"IF" it's clear, it'll be colder but you'll see the stars like you rarely do in Missouri.

Bring gloves; and those "hot hands" left over from deer hunting may come in handy!

Remember night one is right by your car so you can have heavy boots, heavy cloths, heavy food; then plan accordingly for the hike up Bell on day/night 2.

This is Missouri, a "mountain" is really only a decent hill!

Loose layers of synthetics are better than heavier, tight cotton or anything else.

There's nothing better in life than sitting in the woods with a bunch of guys, staring into the flames and looking at the stars overhead.

Having said that, wood is getting scarce at the top of bell mountain but if a few of us bring small hand saw's and take some time, we'll have plenty!

I look forward to seeing the familiar faces and meeting new folks!

Gideon

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Wash4;H.Sierra
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Gideon: Thanks for the input! Looking forward to meeting everybody -- if the road conditions permit the trip...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyc View Post
    I can make this work. How about it thread starter, AJEADS?
    I’m down for that weekend for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Count me in for Saturday for sure, possibly Friday.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird with Whoopies
    Tarp
    Superfly w/Dutch
    Insulation
    Mac Gear 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Starting to get worried looking at the forcast. My gear can't handle single digits, that's for sure. Everything I have is rated for 20-25 degrees, which to me means it can handle 30 at best. Of course, here I am sitting here in a 70 degree room and shivering. LOL

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
    Starting to get worried looking at the forcast. My gear can't handle single digits, that's for sure. Everything I have is rated for 20-25 degrees, which to me means it can handle 30 at best. Of course, here I am sitting here in a 70 degree room and shivering. LOL
    Don't worry, I can't make it under 15 either. Not quilt wise, it's clothing. I'm still going Friday at least to do some real testing. Saturday will be weather
    dependent.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird with Whoopies
    Tarp
    Superfly w/Dutch
    Insulation
    Mac Gear 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Right now I have a 19 degree down REI Radient sleeping bag which is, well, ok. I've only tested it in the hammock one time and it worked reasonably down to about 45 degrees using a reflective windshield pad in the fold of my Blackbird double. I just bought, but have not tested, Mac Gear top and underquilt rated for 25 degrees. I may do as Wetfoot310 said and test them out on friday night. If this all works fine, I would do the hike. If not, well, it will be nice to sit around the fire getting to know you all, on Friday evening.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast