Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyc View Post
    Thats one of the best ways I learn! My first real winter trip was -2 last year at Bell Mountain with new, borrowed and un-tested gear! It wasn't the ideal situation to learn from due to the extreme temperatures, but I certainly did learn a bunch!
    It usually takes a painful experience to make us change our ways. But when I'm new at something and don't have a "way yet, I like to learn from other's mistakes if at all possible and just avoid them. That "always be prepared" scout motto is deeply ingrained in me now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thats one of the best ways I learn! My first real winter trip was -2 last year at Bell Mountain with new, borrowed and un-tested gear! It wasn't the ideal situation to learn from due to the extreme temperatures, but I certainly did learn a bunch!
    At 58 years young, I have more time to study and learn before i try something new/risky than I have to suffer and recuperate. But I also improvise pretty well, and I'm always thinking about how to improve my experience. My dad was a tinkerer, and so am I. He would have loved the internet. Shug's videos taught me a LOT - plus he's a pretty funny and all around talented guy. I'll never be able to play mandolin on a unicycle!

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidcryotank View Post
    That "always be prepared" scout motto is deeply ingrained in me now.

And hence the American Honey for Saturday night! :-)

mathineer

Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    And hence the American Honey for Saturday night! :-)

mathineer
    And Friday night...

Forecast has data for Belleview, MO that shows it's going to be colder after all, and chance of rain decreasing - WOOHOO! Still, I know it can be way off this many days out. IF it holds true, I'll have to pack my heavier topquilt after all. Getting psyched for this trip. My Outdoor Research Realm shell came in, just a little too small. Reordered, it should be here before the trip.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidcryotank View Post
    At 58 years young, I have more time to study and learn before i try something new/risky than I have to suffer and recuperate. But I also improvise pretty well, and I'm always thinking about how to improve my experience. My dad was a tinkerer, and so am I. He would have loved the internet. Shug's videos taught me a LOT - plus he's a pretty funny and all around talented guy. I'll never be able to play mandolin on a unicycle!

Yep, what would the Hammock Community be without ole’ Shug and his awesome how-to videos!?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Alright guys. Are we still meeting at hwy A trailhead? I got the day off so I'll probably leave every and do some day hiking while everyone is still working on getting there. Anybody know around when they are planning on being there?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetfoot310 View Post
    Alright guys. Are we still meeting at hwy A trailhead? I got the day off so I'll probably leave every and do some day hiking while everyone is still working on getting there. Anybody know around when they are planning on being there?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    I took the day off too and plan on leaving for Bell Mtn around 7 to 8 am on Friday morning. It’s a 4 hour drive so I should be there around noon. I will explore for a while then set up camp around 3 or so. Depends on the weather. There are quite a few decent spots to hang around base camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took the day off too and plan on leaving for Bell Mtn around 7 to 8 am on Friday morning. It’s a 4 hour drive so I should be there around noon. I will explore for a while then set up camp around 3 or so. Depends on the weather. There are quite a few decent spots to hang around base camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm 2 hours away, can be there anytime. I'm thinking sometime between 11-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
    Good, cause my goretex poncho weighs a lot less than my heavy winter parka. I've loaded and unloaded my pack a dozen times trying to get the weight down, already. As it stands now, with the parka, total weight with 3lt's of water plus food= 29lbs. Which to me, sounds like too heavy for basically one night.
    HAH! I just weighed out, and you've beat me pretty bad so far. Fully loaded with all food and water, I'm at 34 lbs. However, I don't think my problem is so much with the weight (believe i can handle that, hope i can) as is the weight distribution and how it hangs on my back. I need to shift my water supply from hanging on the outside to inside my pack between my shoulder blades, but then I'll have to displace what I've got in there now and move it to the outside somehow. My pack is leaning out too far away from my back at the top, and it only has a chest strap - not those top of shoulder strap tensioners. I'm not really getting the full benefit of the padded hip straps, they don't seem to ride low enough. Any advice on pack optimization would be appreciated. It's an Outdoor Products Arrowhead 45L pack. Yeah i know it's cheap at $50 and it's pretty full, but it's served me well for my primary use for it, kayak camping when it's not so full (some gear stashed in boat). It's been a long while since I've hiked any distance with a pack. I wanted to avoid buying a pro quality rig for a one-off situation as i don't know when I'd hike with a pack again, but I don't want to be miserable either. I have one other pack option - an old, HEAVY Lowe Alpine Systems pack. All of the waterproof lining is peeling off on the inside and onto everything, looks nasty. However, it was a Cadillac in its day and has all the premium features and is otherwise still sound - looks like 65L with internal frame. You experienced backpackers, please give me some good advice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast