Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Go to Tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by ccolclou View Post
    I use a HG standard with doors. I love it and it's the only one I own, and I don't feel the need for another! I'm actually surprised by the number of responses on this thread that only have or use one tarp.
    My HG doorless is my one and only because who wants to spend that much money twice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    HG CF with doors. Its also my only tarp due to the price.

DD 3x3 tarp is my go to. My Humingbird single+ hammock fits under it just fine, and I can set it up to fully enclose me. Also added a tent pole for a DIY tarp pole mod. Not the lightest, but it is a durable tarp for a decent price. I don't know how I feel about the tarp pole resting on the tarp itself, thinking of adding in a ridgeline across the top of the tarp to have the pole rest on.

IMG_20171126_1054339.jpgIMG_20171126_1055261.jpgIMG_20171126_1055042.jpgIMG_20171126_1123313.jpgIMG_20171126_1118447.jpg

Snowshoes came in the other week, I am officially ready for the snow to hit the mountains.

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    I have a diy 1.1 silypoly hex with doors. I really really really really like it. I done broke down this spring and got a HG CF with doors. Should have left the doors off the CF. MOST* of the time CF is my summer tarp and silpoly is for the winter or nasty weather...
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Have you had the time to try the minifly!

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Warbonnet Edge!
    Used to be Warbonnet SuperFly year round until I tried out an Edge and discovered I liked it even better!
    Like Fishbite, I use an UQP which helps block the wind in spite of the Edge's more minimal side coverage.

Got a Warbonnet MiniFly for my birthday from my husband and kids, but haven't had a chance to try it in the wild yet. It might nudge out my Edge...!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My go-to tarp for true adventures three seasons out of the year (as opposed to leisurely, planned camping trips) remains an asym tarp -- usually a 6'x9' rectangle hung asymmetrically -- owing to light weight, small pack size, simple set-up and limited requirements for ancillary gear. Pitched properly and battened down, an asym tarp will keep you dry and block the wind with no hassles -- and no frills -- in all but the worst weather, with minimal logistical burden.

After more than a year of real experimenting, I decided that, for me, a DIY 12'x10' rectangle tarp with 36" cutbacks (rather than the more typical 30" cutbacks) makes for a pretty ideal all-season weather protection solution. It remains fairy light in weight for a two-piece tarp made from standard materials while providing superior rain protection for both GE and bridge hammocks, it has great porch, hex, and full-enclosure modes (including pole compatibility) for all types of inclemency, and it even provides shelter for side-by-side tandem hanging. For my personal needs, my Cat Tangle tarp have truly proven to be "one tarp to do it all".

As JmBoh, Coldcityely, and others have mentioned, a 12' UGQ Winter Dream is an excellent and very affordable vendor-made tarp option, often available ready to ship, that will give you great all-season performance in virtually any weather and provides many of the advantages of a custom or DIY 12'x10' rectangle.

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 01-03-2018 at 14:40.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    My favorite (right now) is a SLD Trail Duster 2.0 slightly modified (by Jared) with extra tie out to allow it to have little doors.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I recently used the HG cuben std 12' with doors and was very happy with it.

10°F and light wind. I don't know how it would perform in a stiff breeze... perhaps a UQP would be needed, so I ordered one just in case from 2QZQ.

Camp_Dutch_03.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-03-2018 at 10:07.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Have you had the time to try the minifly!
    No. Haven’t gotten to hang since getting the minifly two and a half months ago. I will be hanging this weekend and again a few weeks later. Being winter and particularly cold in my neck of the woods right now, I had planned on playing it safe and using my SuperFly since the sides on it come down lower, providing greater wind protection. I don’t know though...if it’s not horribly windy Saturday, I might just grab that minifly and give it a whirl instead of the SuperFly! If I do, I’ll report back.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    Nice to find another Ottawanian here, Spike! I've been using a cheap(er) MEC silnylon guides tarp with my Ridgerunner. A basic, square cut tarp that has irregularly spaced tie outs (intended for a one pole ground shelter) that works well with the Ridgerunner spreaders. At 12.8 feet long it also covers the Ridgerunner nicely; but at 586 grams it's roughly 50 grams heavier than the Superfly (Superfly weight from older Superfly posts).
    Last edited by HarveyM; 01-05-2018 at 14:29.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast