Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I was being cynical... I agree, you can't. You could splice it in.. But that might defeat the purpose of the OP..
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I would just skip the noose.

I did that with a few micro bridge prototypes to save a little rope (about 16")... not a bad deal when going one at a time.
    If you skip the noose you also have a self leveling bridge (sorta)... so guess the noose can't hurt but you have to be pretty accurate with your splicing to get it all right.

Anyway-
    Grubbster is quite correct- the challenge is the second larkshead.

Great big Dave presented half a solution- the second half of his solution is that you have to sew the webbing loop closed around the larkshead.
    The advantage there is you can get all your splicing done and balanced out. Once you're good- you form the larkshead, feed the webbing through it, then sew the webbing loop closed.

If you prefer to complete all the sewing first; you have to splice one end of the dogbone (and add the noose if you want it).
    Then you pull the unspliced end of the dogbone through the webbing and complete the fixed eye splice over the rope.

I kept it simple ( I just spliced the loop onto itself) which technically isn't a true larkshead but seemed to work just fine.
    I don't really see the functional difference once you dress it but a knot nerd or two pointed out some minor technicality I can't recall.

This idea does save a few grams but it complicated things to the point I abandoned it. If you don't get your splicing perfect the bridge is out of balance.
    Adding the noose... seems like a simple idea but you'd have to nail a perfect spot and it may create a premature wear point.
    In theory you could do a larger loop for your noose, but that shortens the dog bone length and may have other unintended consequences.
    Yes, I figured I would do the second larkshead either by sewing the webbing around it, or splicing around the webbing.

But...no noose? It seems almost too simple. Why doesn't everybody do it this way?

Images
    Why not just do 2 dogbones? You can still larkshead your suspension directly to them and you're probably less likely to wind up with one longer than the other.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Why not just do 2 dogbones? You can still larkshead your suspension directly to them and you're probably less likely to wind up with one longer than the other.
    Well that's just too easy and sensible.

Seriously, I like the idea of having one thing instead of two. And if I can ditch the noose and have a self-balancing system, why not?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    So it really depends on what your trying to do. If having a single piece of cordage is your goal. The I think your on the right track. If your trying to insure that you could remove/replace the cordage if it got damaged, or make them them longer/shorter to test different configurations then two dog bones, I think makes more sense.

I like having the ability to make changes without having to cut the suspension off the hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    The noose would negate the self balancing part of your goal unless you perfectly nail it. An 1/8" off is enough to make the bridge feel unbalanced.

The only real decent reason to chase the single cord is to shave grams.

Course satisfying your own curiosity is a decent enough reason too. So just do it.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    ... And if I can ditch the noose and have a self-balancing system, why not?
    A "self balancing system" may also be a self unbalancing system. With dogbones, I can lean WAY over to one side to reach something on the ground. I suspect trying that with a single line might result in it slipping to one side and a quick trip to ground.

IMG_4185 (Medium).JPG

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12