Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    Do you sew, or know someone who would sew and fit one just for you? If so, you're in luck! Here is just one of MANY sites to get you inspired: https://www.makebra.com/product-category/bra-patterns/
    Or search "make bra pattern" for several other DIY sites where you can design your own pattern to fit perfectly no matter what your measurements, and there are detailed step-by-step construction directions. Most of them also sell or suggest where to buy quality materials. The sewing is a bit fiddly, especially if you need serious support, but really not hard if you're patient and pay attention. Even if you never make one, I think it's interesting to see all that goes into a bra's design, fit, & construction. No wonder it's so hard to shop for a bra that fits, is comfortable, and lasts a while! Oh, and you want it to LOOK good too?!?! Hahaha!

I'm hard to fit and don't like to shop for clothes, shoes, or especially bras. I'm an aspie and can't tolerate wearing anything that doesn't feel good. For decades now I've been making most of my clothes and bras to get a custom fit in the style, fabrics, quality & colors I want. I started with a 1920's Singer sewing machine when I was about 14. Still have it -- it only does straight stitch, no zigzag so I had to learn about French seams and other classic techniques -- that old machine can sew everything from fine lace to boot leather! Now I mostly use a 1970's Bernina with just a few stitch patterns for stretch fabrics, seam finishing, buttonholes, hems. In the long run I find making my own is a lot more satisfying and a better use of my time than endless shopping and still not finding what I want or need -- that's so frustrating and I either end up buying nothing or else returning or donating most of what I bought. If I make my own I can work on it when I feel like it, and I can have exactly what I like and a custom fit at a price I can afford.

This sounds like a sales pitch for sewing your own bra. Not my intention; it's just another option that works for THIS hard-to-fit lady, and it's as close to having a fairy godmother with a magic wand as I'm likely to get. Bippity-boppity-boo(bs)!
    You know I never thought about looking for diy bra patterns...now you have me thinking!

And I am also drooling at the thought of a 1920s singer and a Bernina of any age!

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    You know I never thought about looking for diy bra patterns...now you have me thinking!

And I am also drooling at the thought of a 1920s singer and a Bernina of any age!
    I love my old machines and hope to keep using them both forever! I make nearly all my clothes and hiking/hammocking gear. Check out the DIY subforum here for MANY threads re. finding, testing, refurbing, maintaining old machines. Also lots of good info on what used to be Yahoo Groups for old Singers and Bernina, most of those groups have now moved to groups.io.com. My mother bought my old long-bobbin (aka "vibrating shuttle") 127 Singer and a sewing book for my 13th or maybe 14th birthday. Absolutely the BEST gift anybody ever gave me. It was rather beat-up with a bright blue over-paint job, and probably very inexpensive, all she could afford, but it was strong and ran well (still does). She didn't have a clue how to use it, but it came with 6 or 8 free lessons at the shop to make a dress from a pattern with zipper, collar and set-in sleeves. After that I was on my own to figure everything else out from the directions in a few store-bought patterns. That was long before the internet! Later a friend in high school made really exquisite, well-made, perfectly fitting clothes, and she taught me about fitting, attention to details, and fine finishing. Then I learned how to draft my own patterns from a library book. Another friend makes very intricate quilts. Not my thing, but her work still inspires me to practice patience and careful joining of fiddly little pieces. I admired her Bernina and finally bought mine second-hand in the early '80s from a Bernina sales & repair shop. It does everything I need and it's been reliable, but parts will be a challenge if needed (maybe I need a 3D printer -- yet another rabbit-hole). I still look longingly at the occasional oldies in thrift shops and the wonderful "museum" in a machine repair place about 50 miles from here but I don't have room for another one in my small house. Still, I might enjoy being an apprentice there if it weren't so far away and if I were a few years younger!

That was long-winded way of saying, it's quite possible and IMO also rewarding to make a really good custom-fit bra (or any other garment), using any machine that runs well (or even hand-sewn). My vision has never been keen, and my hands are somewhat arthritic now, but if I can make a bra you probably can, too, starting with one of those pattern sites. And there are lots of great old Singers and also some fine Berninas & Pfaffs out there, although it may take a while to find what you want in good condition and at a reasonable price. You go, girl!
    Last edited by WhollyHamaca; 12-10-2019 at 13:22.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I believe this was the red “undergarment" (to avoid moderator censorship like apparently happened to the flag photos) thread. I’d like to surprise co-camper calliopal with a small flag (2ft x 3ft max - probably a lot smaller would work, 1ft x 2 ft) of a cougar and a hummingbird. Maybe like hummingbird on top half/diagonal of flag and cougar on bottom half.

Do y’all know of a flag maker who could put such a thing together at a price that wouldn’t cost cougar his paw or leg?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I too have the issue of being top heavy and hating to sleep in a bra, but, I wear the Playtex 18hr bra's, no wires, and I sleep in them with no problem when camping. I have to be up atleast twice a night, and would not want to be walking around braless. I put clean under things on in the morning, and I try to keep them someplace they won't be ice cold when I have to get into them. I use a tarp always, so if I had to hang something on my line, I would be ok to do it.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I don't want to get anyone in trouble so I'm clarifying.... the original image is not viewable because the site I used to hosts my pics went away. There was zero censorship by the admins/moderators.

I've switched my picture hosting site to Imgur so hopefully this image will stay up as long as I'm alive and keep the account open.

◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Click here to be taken to a Google Drive .png file where the Red Bra Logo bra is vertical with a transparent background

Feel free to add to your own HF profile picture like I did! If you do, post so we can all admire it!

Last edited by Karla "with a k"; 08-22-2020 at 20:44.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    I bought a cheap 'gear hammock' by Sea Dog on amazon for under $10. It is netted. I like it because I can string it up on the ends of my webbing loops that aren't in use (I use the ENO atlas XL but am looking to downsize because they are heavier than most systems). This then hovers just above the ground but below my hammock so it doesn't touch me. I place my undergarment, my waterbottle, and anything else that I want for quick access. I can fit an entire 65L backpacking pack in it, or two smaller day packs with room along the sides. I wish it wasn't mesh because the loops of the packs can get tangled easily BUT I didn't want to spend the extra money or carry the extra weight of essentially a kids sized hammock.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-67110...0217205&sr=8-4

I wear my Panache sports bra hiking and camping. I've never had any chafing and I find it breathes pretty well
    https://wearavo.com/best-sports-bras/
    If you want to avoid chafing with a sports bra you can put baby powder or a soft handkerchief between your boobs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Attended my 1st Hangcon and had my red bra hanging for all to see. Got LOTS of questions about it so now I'm gonna make a youtube video about our Red Bra Club. If you've got any pics of you and/or your red bra hanging off your set-up, please post it here so I can use it in the video. I'll start working on the video tomorrow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567