Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

Secret Sauce

Question for this august group... If someone creates a novel DIY project, and then posts pics or a video of the finished product, is it considered rude to show off the finished article without agreeing to sharing the design or steps to make another just like it? I ask this because I have made a couple of items that fall in this category, and folks have asked me if I could share how I did one thing or another. Most of the time I am happy to oblige; however, I sometimes decline in cases where I received tips or direction from someone else (secret sauce), and then respect my mentors by not sharing their ideas. I suppose this is a rhetorical question...
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like you already know the answer. If you decline to divulge the details, that's up to you. You can still share the results without sharing the methods. Just one man's opinion...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    The real question is, after you share it and someone copies it will that bother you? If not then I'd say share away. Now I'm on the edge of my seat

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    The real question is, after you share it and someone copies it will that bother you? If not then I'd say share away. Now I'm on the edge of my seat
    If you decide to join our crew for some hikes you are likely to see some pretty neat stuff made by the likes of Hangnout (Leighlo Quilts) and others.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    If you decide to join our crew for some hikes you are likely to see some pretty neat stuff made by the likes of Hangnout (Leighlo Quilts) and others.
    I really regret missing out on that last Savage Gulf hike but I'm trying to get my trail legs back before heading out with you buff guys Keep me in the loop. I'm heading up to Savage Gulf tomorrow and doing the hike out to Hobbs hopefully if the thunder storms hold off.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I think Jellyfish and kitsapcowboy as well as a few others (grizz) have shared plenty of secret sauce. Even better is when someone combines the secret sauce and their own desire for better or easier use and come up with an innovative new design.

It's different if you are copying copyrighted design to a "T".

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    Question for this august group... If someone creates a novel DIY project, and then posts pics or a video of the finished product, is it considered rude to show off the finished article without agreeing to sharing the design or steps to make another just like it? I ask this because I have made a couple of items that fall in this category, and folks have asked me if I could share how I did one thing or another. Most of the time I am happy to oblige; however, I sometimes decline in cases where I received tips or direction from someone else (secret sauce), and then respect my mentors by not sharing their ideas. I suppose this is a rhetorical question...
    This forum, to me at least, seems to be one in which the free exchange of ideas leads to mutual prosperity. So many have given their time and energy freely. I know I've benefitted personally from their efforts and try to keep the same mindset when I can offer some contribution.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with sharing your projects without detailing methodology. If you feel you owe someone else credit, give it to them. Pass the torch and see what happens.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just gave away a lot of my filming techniques (some secret ones) in a 3 part video series.
    It was liberating.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I just gave away a lot of my filming techniques (some secret ones) in a 3 part video series.
    It was liberating.
    Shug
    The techniques are good, but really it's your personality that makes your videos as good as they are. All the technique in the world can't help me people who don't have that gift =)

That said, thanks for sharing your secret sauce!

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    One of the things I like best about this community and this site in particular is the willingness of everyone to share ideas for the betterment of the hiking community. I've benefitted from seeing how folks do things and I've posted my DIY projects to give back to the community.

If you (or your friends) don't want to share their "secret sauce" with the community you might ask yourself if this is really the right forum for you. I would find it hard to imagine anything that would need to be kept private that couldn't be shared with everyone here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast