Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images

Introducing a new kind (for me) of trip and report

Short YT vid explaining the change...

And blog post with the actual trip report...

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the info on the new format to your blogs / vlogs / etc. etc. Looking forward to your posts.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Looks like a good series to switch things up. Looking forward to it.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Thanks for the info on the new format to your blogs / vlogs / etc. etc. Looking forward to your posts.

STinGa
    Thanks for checking it out, StinGa!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Looks like a good series to switch things up. Looking forward to it.
    I am too! Thanks Cabmanhang!

Just took a look at the blog post and really enjoyed perusing it. I like all the photos. That's a cool format and a good idea for a "trip." I'm lucky in that Redlands WMA pretty much surrounds my home and I can be on WMA land within 180 seconds of leaving my house, so walks like yours are an easy possibility. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Love the idea of actually spending the time to see what's in front you. Sometimes I feel that I'm always in too much of a hurry, even when hiking.

Looking forward to the updates!!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Kewl. Yeah man. I like doing the urban thing. Here I call it urban hanging of urban camping actually I just forgot what I call it but it is when I go walking and hang here in the city tucked away. It’s fun to hear the trains and night sounds. I’ll be happy to check some stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Nice blog.I would like to hear more about your experience handling cobras in Thailand though!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Just took a look at the blog post and really enjoyed perusing it. I like all the photos. That's a cool format and a good idea for a "trip." I'm lucky in that Redlands WMA pretty much surrounds my home and I can be on WMA land within 180 seconds of leaving my house, so walks like yours are an easy possibility. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Cheers.
    That sounds like a great area to do the kind of thing I'm trying to do. I recommend it as a change from the way many of us normally do things. I'm not giving up the hiking and backpacking, just sort of throwing this type of thing into the mix for a different kind of experience. Thanks Sidney!

Quote Originally Posted by deckster View Post
    Love the idea of actually spending the time to see what's in front you. Sometimes I feel that I'm always in too much of a hurry, even when hiking.

Looking forward to the updates!!
    You just described me perfectly- always in a hurry to get to the next thing, and not paying attention to the moment. Maybe I can retrain my brain... thanks deckster!

Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    Kewl. Yeah man. I like doing the urban thing. Here I call it urban hanging of urban camping actually I just forgot what I call it but it is when I go walking and hang here in the city tucked away. It’s fun to hear the trains and night sounds. I’ll be happy to check some stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It should be an interesting experience for sure! Thanks BB!

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Nice blog.I would like to hear more about your experience handling cobras in Thailand though!
    Haha! Well you asked. My unit (3rd battalion 7th Marine Division) was training for jungle ops in Thailand with the Thai Royal Marines. The TRM gave us some interesting classes on the kinds of things they deal with in their country. One of those classes happened to be dealing with cobras.

The first method they showed us to catch a cobra was pretty simple. As the cobra is crawling on the ground you simply walk up to it and pick it up back near the tail. Once you have it you sort of shake it and it can't bite you.

There were a few of the guys in our unit that tried this method with success. If a cobra isn't hooded, it's a fairly easy way to catch one.

Once a cobra is hooded and on the alert it becomes a little more complicated. The Thais showed us a method where you squat down in front of the cobra, waving your knee back and forth. The cobra will focus on the movement of your knee, and even sort of sway back and forth with the same rhythm. While it's focus is on your knee, you reach behind his head with your opposite hand and snatch him up by the neck so he can't bite you.

Well, none of the guys in my unit seemed to want to try this method. As a longtime snake aficionado, a patriotic American and a United States Marine I felt like is my duty to catch this particular cobra for Corps, Country and personal glory lol! So I did, and the prescribed method worked like a charm. It was definitely a unique experience.

After I caught him, the Thais beheaded him and bled him into some really strong rice wine, which I was then obliged to drink. This, according to the Thais, endowed me with the "Spirit of the Cobra." So i figure if I have the Spirit of the Cobra, then I don't have to worry about pedestrian snakes like copperheads and rattlesnakes right?

Anyway, that's the story. I had some interesting times as one of the Few and the Proud! =) Thanks Five Tango!

Hammock
    Onewind 11ft zippered
    Tarp
    TW Sargasso
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Nice one mate, bushcrafting is whatever you want it to be

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast