Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaseblossom View Post
    I got my Half-Zipped today, too. Hexon 1.6 Wide in Brilliant Blue. I’ve been wanting to try a wide hammock, and when Dutch put the Half-Zip on sale, decided it was a good way to try both the different width and a new hammock style.

So I found out quickly that the only place I can hang in my yard—between a tree and a corner fence post—won’t work for a wide hammock, as I need to shift my suspension up a lot higher than the space allows. Bummer. I did get in it—and my butt was maybe a half inch off the ground. But I could tell despite the pathetic hang that I’m really going to like the Half-Zipped (jury is still out on the wide until I can get a proper hang). I also have a Chameleon, which I love, but I think I’m going to like having the bug net permanently attached with the Half-Zipped. And what I really liked in just the few minutes I spent in it, is that it didn’t try to eat my hair! In my Chameleon, unless I have the net or cover fully zipped on, the zipper or the quilt hooks snag on my hair and it’s pretty annoying. In the Half-Zipped, I found myself automatically laying with my head against the non zippered side and noticed immediately I didn’t have to worry about snagging my hair if I shifted my head. Bliss. I know it sounds like a dumb little thing, but it’s something I noticed and loved right away. And it’s a gorgeous hammock—love the blue—and I think it’s the perfect balance between all the features of the Chameleon and the simplicity of the Dutch netless. I think I’d be very interested in a 4 season version with a top cover also attached (kinda like tents have the screen door and the outer door). If you’re not too worried about weight, it would be nice to have the convenience of both covers ready to deploy.

So now I just need a Tato stand or some inside hardware so I can hang it properly and give it a full test. Yet another Dutchware order in the works.
    I thought this was an asymmetric hammock, head left, feet right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0 Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post

It is Head left. So you can lay with your head on left back sewn side, or front right zipper side. Orientation as looking at the hammock from the side with the zipper.

Hammock
    DL Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge/CDT
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I'd love to know what other observations you've made comparing the Chameleon and Half-zipped. I'm leaning slightly toward the Half-zipped, and have these considerations so far:

Pros:
    1. With (just) the net, it's a lighter setup
    2. It's a bit cheaper
    3. I don't need to flip the net to change the direction I want to lay
    4. Still appears to be compatible with all the storage options available for the Chameleon

Cons:
    1. In the winter, I can't remove the net, and need to carry a sock in addition (more weight)
    2. Can't exit both sides
    3. Can't adjust both sides of the underquilt without exiting the hammock

What should I do, Peaseblossom (and others who care to weigh in)?
    Get both!

I have yet to really test the Half-Zipped, so hard to say. The cons you mentioned about the Half-Zipped are definite points in the Chameleon’s favor. Plus as someone mentioned, you can switch out top covers—I did actually order a second top cover in a different color with a wider vent for more visibility, so I love how versatile and how customizable the Chameleon is. I’ve done a lot of weekend lounging in it, and sometimes I’d wish I had the net or top cover on, but was too comfy and lazy to get up to switch it out. The Half-Zipped seems like it’ll be a little more convenient to do that (might need to get a top cover version like Peppy, or better yet, one with both, hint hint). My waist length hair gets caught in the Chameleon easily, like I said, but it seems like I’ll be able to avoid that more easily in the HZ. I did also get a winter sock in my last order—first time using one—and I think I’ll prefer having an attached top cover instead—less fabric to fiddle with and attached nets and top covers help keep my top quilts inside.

So long story short, I agree with the other post—if you want a multi-purpose, 4 season hammock, go with the Chameleon. You’ll love it. If you like a bit more simplified hammock, and the idea of having the net attached so you don’t have something separate to carry, try out the Half-Zipped. You’ll love it. Or just get both to try, plus the cool sticker, and tell yourself you’ll sell one (right).

Pease

(PS...either way, be sure to get at least one Peak Shelf—I have two—and the little storage pocket. I love them!)

Hammock
    DL Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge/CDT
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post

I’m still too new to this hammock thing, and have no idea yet what my “lay” is. So far, view and sun angle seem to dictate the most where I end up in the hammock. If I figure out I’m opposite of what my Half-Zipped is, then I guess I can sell it and ask for one to be made the “right” way.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It is $20 more for the overcover.
    Cool! Is it vented like the Chameleon's? And how much does it weigh with the overcover?

So I got my Half Zip Wide hammock in the mail yesterday and took today to my hammock laboratory (a pine grove in a local picnic area) and set it up. All I can say is, this is the most comfortable hammock I own after the Ridgerunner, at a significant weight savings. No shoulder squeeze, no calf ridge and an almost totally flat lay. I have another wide hammock, a non-netted in HyperD XL and I got tired of replacing the Fronkey net every year, so I decided to get one with the net attached. On set up, the bug net was a little saggy but, once I got in and flattened out, the net tightened right up and kept well off my face. The tie outs helped in this regard. I really like the Xenon fabric, it’s not as soft as the HyperD but supports my 215 lb, six foot frame a bit better (the Xenon seems less stretchy). That being said, the HyperD ain’t bad either. All in all, a great hammock that I look forward to using extensively in the field.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Cool! Is it vented like the Chameleon's? And how much does it weigh with the overcover?
    If you like, we had one order and they wanted it at the peak but I prefer the chameleon design and that will be probably my final design. If you order it now, I will make it any way you want it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    D17F1A95-8ADA-475C-A666-11B691EBFBDA.jpg

Here’s mine! I like the vent near the top and this turned out great!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That should work well to keep the cold air off your face and give you ventilation.

Dutch
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Did my first trip with the half zipped. 1.6 Hexon. Worked great! I’ve used both the chameleon and the half zipped and I gotta tell you I liked the way that bugnet rolled back. The toggles were super simple and was able to roll the net back and do the toggle while still in the hammock.

Laying head left/feet right was a little New but for me I found getting out to “water the grass” was easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12