Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

HG Incubator Econ vs Incubator vs Wooki

I love my Warbonnet XLC. I bought a Wooki 20 UQ and was satisfied with it, however I also made a full length Costco overstuffed UQ with traditional suspension that I used for warmer hikes. I really love that quilt because the traditional suspension allows the Uq and it's insulation to wrap up along the sides like a taco. My wooki is a little slack and the insulation just runs where I lay. That is efficient design, however I tend to move off of it and catch the cold edges. My DYI quilt doesn't do this, so I thought maybe its time to buy a warmer underquilt with a traditional suspension. I LOVE my HG Borrow 20 TQ, so I thought I look to get a HG UQ.

So what are the big differences between the normal Incubator and the Econ Incubator (other than $100). I think I heard its a different down, but what are the draw backs of that difference?

Also, I am debating between the 20 degree and the 0 degree. I might someday do the colder weather (maybe the frozen butt hang) but nothing imminent. I am leaning towards the 20 degree and if I go colder bring the wooki and layer the Incubator 20 on the outside of it. I realize I have to carry both, but would that work for the colder temps?

Thank you!

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
    So what are the big differences between the normal Incubator and the Econ Incubator (other than $100). I think I heard its a different down, but what are the draw backs of that difference?
    A few ounces and a little less packable. Incubator uses goose down, Econ uses duck. I have an Econ, works pefectly.

Also, I am debating between the 20 degree and the 0 degree. I might someday do the colder weather (maybe the frozen butt hang) but nothing imminent. I am leaning towards the 20 degree and if I go colder bring the wooki and layer the Incubator 20 on the outside of it. I realize I have to carry both, but would that work for the colder temps?
    Yes, that should work.

If you can't decide between a 20* and a 0*, why not get a 10*? It's right in between.

Besides, you already have a 20*.

So there are three primary differences: price (which you mentioned), fabric, and down.

The Econ line uses the Ion fabric (1.1 weight) while the premium line uses Argon (.67 or .9 weight). This has an impact on weight and feel of the quilt. On the summer quilts, this fabric difference actually impacts weight much more than the down. However, as you progress into lower temp rated quilts you start to see the down material difference play a larger factor in terms of stuff size and weight because of the larger volume of down required to meet the temp rating.

Having said this, you will see less tangible benefits from the premium materials (goose down and Argon fabric) in the 40 and 50 degree quilts. However, as you get into the lower temps (20 and below) those benefits start to show up in a more noticeable way.

For me personally, all of my quilts are from the Econ line as I love the feel of the material and don't hike enough to warrant the extra cost to shave the few ounces. If I was through hiking the AT, I would certainly reconsider that. But for my casual backpacking, I am very satisfied with the Econ line.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I too prefer the feel of the Ion fabric to Argon- even though the Ion is ever-so-slightly heavier.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    i just ordered an ECON 0, today, for my blackbird. And I have the 20 Wookie and a DIY.

• + New Posts