Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Tons of info scattered here. Many have built and went the toboggan route to haul major gear/stoves. I have plenty of space with the popular Paris pulk.
    What he said....I started with a Jet Sled Jr, then built a toboggan and now have to use a caboose because I have too much crap, including hot tent, stove, chainsaw, coffee pot, cast iron fry pan...the list goes on.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    HAHA! As long as you're not breaking trail you can haul a shipping container!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    What he said....I started with a Jet Sled Jr, then built a toboggan and now have to use a caboose because I have too much crap, including hot tent, stove, chainsaw, coffee pot, cast iron fry pan...the list goes on.
    Good lord man, you must have legs like tree trunks
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Pulling it is easy peasy with just a strap around my shoulder. Now, if the snow melts and the ground is showing, that's a whole different story...

Hammock
    wb/dutch/dh
    Insulation
    wooki/loco libre
    Suspension
    spider web 2.0
    This is probably the reason you feel the cold in Az. In Denver we got over a foot in less than 24hrs044.jpg

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Since I started hanging about 5 years ago now, I've yet to have a chance to try it in the snow! I've either always been busy or we just didn't get enough snow. I think I jinxed myself when I bought my Muk Luks and Old Man Winter specifically for hanging in the snow lol. However, if the long range winter forecast ( or "guess" as I like to call it) stays even remotely close to true then I might FINALLY get the chance. So far the well below average temps that were predicted for fall in my area have been spot on. It's felt like early winter every night since about mid October with a few nights even getting into the low 20's. I've been dying to hang in the snow!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >Pulling it is easy peasy with just a strap around my shoulder. Now, if the snow melts and the ground is showing, that's a whole different story...

That's why wheels were invented
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >Pulling it is easy peasy with just a strap around my shoulder. Now, if the snow melts and the ground is showing, that's a whole different story...

That's why wheels were invented
    We did have a wagon-er out last weekend...it didn't look like much fun either.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was excited for this weekend when the temps were in single digits. Then...

A chance of snow showers before 1pm, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

And of course, back down to cold the day I leave. How did I manage hit the only 2-3 days window of warmth. So unfair!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    Billybob 58 good write up, good stuff. If the idea is to have no regrets at the end, you'll probably succeed.
    Hey, thanks for the kind words, ODG! I'm just seeing this for some reason. I guess it is true that I have had a more than average number of wild back country and snow adventures. Getting a little long in the tooth now(71 in a month), and the majority of my wildest adventures were between age 34(when I moved to Flagstaff and got into some serious wilderness travel) and a few years later when I spent 30 days straight hiking, climbing and sleeping within the wilderness areas of the Wind River Mountains of WY. I will never forget the river crossing by Tyrolean traverse during a major June 27th snow storm! That night at 24ºF was the single coldest night of my life. Then again, major snow and dead mosquitoes almost in July, how could I complain? My adventures since those crazy days have been shorter in duration and mostly less severe, though I still love those high Rocky Mountains for occasional winter during summer.

But, way down here in MS, we had snow yesterday, a couple of inches, already gone though. But it was a delight hiking in it. Not much stuck because the ground was so warm, but it was coming down heavily all day!

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast