Portable Hammock Stand

I researched the Internet looking for ideas for a portable hammock/tarp stand that was stable, not too bulky or too heavy and was relatively easy to set up. This is what I came up with.

PortableStandWinterTarp.jpg PortableStandWithHammock.jpg PortableStandGuyLines.jpg Ground Anchor.jpg Sefl-Supported-Hammock.jpg

I wished I could find the resource that taught me how to make the "ground anchor". Not sure what the inventor called it, but I think it was on YouTube. I think it was used to pull down a tree. It was not originally shown as an anchor for a stand. It was the ground anchor that made the difference. The problem I found with anchoring the wood dowels to the ground with the guyline was that the pull was directed towards the dowel at both ground level but also upward towards the top, where the line terminated. The ground anchor takes the force and directs it to a straight ground level pull that is anchored at 5 or more (if desired) points. It is rock solid. My original thought was to use a giant ground stake that would withstand the force. When I came upon the ground anchor I know I had found my solution.

The orange guy lines serve to keep the dowel straight up. They also help to keep the dowel pulled back. You could use a bi-pod (2 dowels) and eliminate the guy lines if desired.

I've use this set up for some time now and it has never failed me. You'll notice in the images that I put a peice of 2 X 4 with a hole drilled about 3/4" deep to accept the post under the dowels to keep them from sinking in the ground. Normally I have not found this necessary, but when the ground is soft and wet it does the trick.

If there is any interest, I'll be happy to elaborate more. This forum is a valuable asset to me. I am not aware of other hangers in my area so the Internet is my teacher.

Dan Ayo
    Last edited by DanAyo; 10-31-2017 at 05:52.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    That is very similar to my Alamosa Stand. You might want to take a look at it here - https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=Alamosa+Stand. It uses conduit for the ends which can be nested to make carrying it much easier.

It uses Stake Booms (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...348-Stake-Boom) that is an alternate to backing stakes. These also nest into the poles.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    I wonder if a couple of spiral anchors would save some work - say two anchors per pole?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vortex-1...RG-A/202703690

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Corkscrews can be ideal at the beach, if sunk all the way in. Might be a good choice for soft forest duff, but I can't say from experience. Probably wouldn't be able to sink then all the way in because of being stopped by a root or rock, and if so, the exposed shank would likely bend.

I only use two stakes on each of my poles on my portable rig. And no board. These are the stakes. They are not light but never have failed me on dirt. And are not easily stopped by some stones when hammering in. The stakes pull out easily with one hand after twisting them, yet I've had one rig set up in back for over two months, no problem. I pound them in at a slight backward angle, not too much.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• + New Posts