Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    How did the stacking of quits go? I hung out last night and the forecast was for 32 but it only got to 39 but the wind howled last night. I was toasty warm in my LocoLibre 20 degree top quilt and 3 season Lynx. Nose always gets a bit cold.
    The quilt stacking was more than adequate....however not having an UQP on a deck 20 feet off the ground made my shoulders cold.

Feet fine...shoulders down fine but a breeze cooling my shoulders and above.

My Greylock cinch straps were not tight enough & I needed a UQP in this scenario.

IMG_2531.jpg
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 10-29-2017 at 14:04.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    We had 10-15 mph winds all night and not once did the wind rob me of warmth in my Ridgerunner. The big difference is the Ridgerunners under quilt is rubber band tight so there's really not a place for wind to enter. The only wind I felt was on my exposed nose but that wasn't enough to keep me awake. Keep at it and you'll get it. I would have thought your new SLD tarp would have kept that wind off of you.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    We had 10-15 mph winds all night and not once did the wind rob me of warmth in my Ridgerunner. The big difference is the Ridgerunners under quilt is rubber band tight so there's really not a place for wind to enter. The only wind I felt was on my exposed nose but that wasn't enough to keep me awake. Keep at it and you'll get it. I would have thought your new SLD tarp would have kept that wind off of you.

Didn't deploy it. I am waiting on the deck anchors to arrive to do it right.

Wind was about the same here in Chattanooga.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Didn't deploy it. I am waiting on the deck anchors to arrive to do it right.
    Ah gotcha. Yea, without a tarp you need some tight fitting insulation to stay warm.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I am now using the Costco quilt in the Blackbird XLC to block the wind on my head side and extend the insulation in the netting opposite the shelf.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    It’s interesting to see all the different ideas people have for those Costco throw blankets. I used two similar blankets stacked up one night, when it got to 8°F. It wasn’t adequate for comfort, but I didn’t die.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    It’s interesting to see all the different ideas people have for those Costco throw blankets. I used two similar blankets stacked up one night, when it got to 8°F. It wasn’t adequate for comfort, but I didn’t die.
    funny how everyone is different

I've spent a night at -15c (5 f) in my sunroom hammock with single CDT underquilt, and 2 stacked CDT topquilts

not a whisper of a breeze this way tho, but that was the absolute edge of what the underquilt can do. topquilt(s) was nice and toasty though

Costco Double Black Diamond down throw

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I just picked up a Costco down throw this week on sale for under $16 (plus tax). I chill easily, so I also gifted myself a 20 deg. top quilt (only had a 40 deg. TQ which is fine for summer camping here in SoCal) since I'd like to do some desert camping this winter/spring. A trip I was going to do next weekend was forecast as down to 38 at night - I've never camped in temps that low, I'm cold in the house in that weather so I'm going to have to acclimate.... I also have a 40 deg. under quilt and I'm planning to try the Costco throw folded in half sandwiched between the UQ and the hammock. Fortunately, I also came across someone's post with a chair quilt and got myself one of those too!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12