WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    On a similar note (but not to hijack); how does one enter and exit from a Bridge?

All pics and videos I have seen, show the sides of the bridge much higher then the bottom. Does a person 'tunnel crawl' from the foot-end upto the head end? Do you do a 'barrel roll' from the side (and hope that you don't bounce too much)?
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I do it one of two ways. My bridge doesn't have end caps. That means I can't recline in it, but it also means I can climb in the end and I can let my feet dangle off the end.

The other way is over the side. To do this without the spreader bars swinging up and poking the tarp, I enter it the same way I would enter a canoe: grab one "gunwale" in each hand to hold it steady, swing one leg in, sit, then swing the other leg in. I demonstrated this for Cannibal last year and he got a good blooper video out of it.
    Last edited by vitamaltz; 02-05-2010 at 09:13.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I demonstrated this for Cannibal last year and he got a good blooper video out of it.
    I've got to find that footage. I've got a bunch of video of the vendor area on that same disc. Thanks for reminding me.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    On a similar note (but not to hijack); how does one enter and exit from a Bridge?

All pics and videos I have seen, show the sides of the bridge much higher then the bottom. Does a person 'tunnel crawl' from the foot-end upto the head end? Do you do a 'barrel roll' from the side (and hope that you don't bounce too much)?
    I just push one side down and sit down in it. The bars on the other side go up and will hit the tarp unless it is pitched pretty high on that side, but I've never seen any signs of damage from that contact.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Interesting replies, I just recently field test my DIY Bridge, and although as everyone has said it does have its limitations, it is a very comfortable sleeping platform, I also have a mark 2 DD and a double layer 1.7 Blackbird.

Limitations;

You have to be a bit more careful not only in setting it up (height wise) but getting in and out, as already stated the canoe entry method works well.

I use a superfly during the winter, and had no trouble setting my Bridge up under it, the suspensions bars were well clear of the tarp fabric. However the suspension triangles extended beyond the tarp which in a wet night may cause concern. I believe the superfly has an 11' ridge length.

I plan to negate the bad weather/tarp problem somewhat by making a waterproof breathable weather shield which will replace my bugnet during the colder months, which should mean I can set up my tarp on the entry side, with minimum overhang on the other (a canopy) which may work out that I have more sheltered area.

To be frank that aspect is still on the CAD system, and not converted into fabric, always hopeful tho

Cheers

Stephen

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gailainne View Post
    Interesting replies, I just recently field test my DIY Bridge, and although as everyone has said it does have its limitations, it is a very comfortable sleeping platform, I also have a mark 2 DD and a double layer 1.7 Blackbird.

Limitations;

You have to be a bit more careful not only in setting it up (height wise) but getting in and out, as already stated the canoe entry method works well.

I use a superfly during the winter, and had no trouble setting my Bridge up under it, the suspensions bars were well clear of the tarp fabric. However the suspension triangles extended beyond the tarp which in a wet night may cause concern. I believe the superfly has an 11' ridge length.

I plan to negate the bad weather/tarp problem somewhat by making a waterproof breathable weather shield which will replace my bugnet during the colder months, which should mean I can set up my tarp on the entry side, with minimum overhang on the other (a canopy) which may work out that I have more sheltered area.

To be frank that aspect is still on the CAD system, and not converted into fabric, always hopeful tho

Cheers

Stephen
    Yours being DIY, I can't know how similar it might br to the BMBH, of course. But the BMBH has 3 rings, one at the end of the triangle towards the trees, and two more on each side of tha hammock. which the spreader bars plug into. I think that, if the end ring was outside the tarp I (I think mine are covered by the JRB 11x10?), I think the spreader bar rings would still act as a water block.

Actually, as I think about it, I'm sure the outer triangle ring on each end of the BMBH is covered by the JRB tarp. Because the recommended set up distance between the rings is 9'6", and of course the tarp is 11 feet on the RL.

Glad to hear you find a bridge as comfortable as I do. I guess that is at least 2 of us!

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Bleemus, you didn't mention the new Switchback hammock (search in the forums...their website is still pending...lots of info and photos).

Very roomy (you can turn around in it) plus you have the option to use spreader bars on the netting.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    I just saw my first pics of the Switchback today and it does look like it deserves a place on my potential list!

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Thanks to all for their thoughtful insight. I am going to try a BMBH and see how I can mod it to lighten it up and use trekking poles as spreader bars. I assume a MacCat Deluxe is going to be large enough for this hammock. Want to keep the hammock tarp combo under 3lbs ultmately but probably will be unrealistic. This is not including the poles as the trekking poles will be used.

Concerned that the trekking poles will be rubbing on the tarp and will have to learn to hang it so there is plenty of room. Time will tell.

Thanks all!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What ever you use as spreader bars I would leave them out of the hammock until you are ready to get in. This way nothing should rub on the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast