Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images

Moving beyond the mind game... Hammocks are awesome

This may not interest anyone, but just had a few moments and wanted to go over a few things I’ve learned about ME while hammocking. I over analyze everything. Color, lay, fabric, etc take me weeks to decide and then I go over it again and again, but I am learning it doesn’t all matter. Fabric choice can be very important depending on size, weight, feel, etc and I certainly believe it can have a huge impact on the comfort you feel. But I have learned that some of the things we agonize over don’t really matter. I tried and tried until I learned that in a GE Hammock I prefer left lay, and everything I ordered reflected that. But the funny thing is, I’ve learned that it’s very easy for me to get comfortable, and sleep either way. Now those with medical reasons, by all means that’s a deal breaker for you, but most of us could easily learn to sleep opposite of what we do. Another thing I’ve learned is that I prefer full length UQ’s. Extra piece of mind, etc. But with a little coaxing, I’ve tried 3/4 again and when everything is hung properly (that’s the key) I find I sleep just as warm and snug as I do in a full length quilt. Anyway, just finding out that some of the mind game we play is nonsense. HYOH. YMMV. I get it. But it turns out most of us are just spoiled enough to demand it a certain way. Have a great day my hammocking friends!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    But is it a mind game or is it what we prefer? For example, I absolutely hate partial length quilts and all the flipping and flopping I have to do in a hammock just to get the pad for my feet to stay in place only to get up and go to the potty and start the circus act (no offense Shug) over again. I believe it's all about HYOY - what ever works for you do it (in the voice of Jaxx). Mind games or not- what ever makes you comfortable even if we are a bit crazy

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm indecisive, stubborn, picky, you name it. I really tried to make the 3/4 quilt work too. In fact, I purchased one, sold it, then re-purchased the exact same thing again...then sold it. That's just insane. No "third time's a charm", it's over. Full length, or my alternate 7/8 length is where it's at.

Then I had a 0° TQ/UQ quilt set and sold them since I decided I wanted a different color (moroccan blue instead of brick red). Again, pure insanity!

Now I'm not sure about my hammocks, so I had Jared at SLD make me a 10.5' black hammock. That'll match with everything

Overall, everything has to be comfortable. All this usually adds up to a dangerously expensive situation, i.e. a hobby.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    hammocks are like finger prints, no 2 are ever exactly the same. lol. You have every right to over analyze, that's your personal property, your personal space. I believe every hammock says something about the person who owns it(consciously or not). some people are weight conscious, some people want ease of use, some people want absolute comfort, some people(like my wife) only care about the color. So I say, go ahead, over analyze. Its an extension of yourself.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Supafly!
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitches
    Left lay, right lay, whatever makes you comfortable. I've spent more than a couple nights laying the wrong way in my Hennessy Asym, and was still comfortable. When my feet get cold, I can convince myself to ignore it and go back to sleep.

The nice thing about the hammock, once you're in it, it's all about you, and what makes you comfy. No rules, no social norms, just you and the hang.
    ~Kev

The world would be a lot less grumpy if we all slept in hammocks.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    It's a journey that's for sure
    But no matter how you trek down that road, in the end the amount of peace, rest, sleep one gets makes it all worthy
    Enjoy
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have to agree with you, Peppy. For instance, I sleep head-left now. But when I first started, I slept both directions. Even though I now prefer head-left, I know for a fact that if I had to sleep head-right, I would still be more comfortable than I am in my $1000 mattress.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I have to agree with you, Peppy. For instance, I sleep head-left now. But when I first started, I slept both directions. Even though I now prefer head-left, I know for a fact that if I had to sleep head-right, I would still be more comfortable than I am in my $1000 mattress.
    YES!

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I’ve messed with about everything I could in the past year of sleeping every night, but I never found anything to be uncomfortable, just different.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Some people are luckier than others. I wish I (or rather my body) would be that undemanding. It certainly would make buying new gear a lot easier and cheaper. As it is, partial underquilts absolutely don't work for me. I tried, but gave up because I got into hammocking to be (a lot) more comfortable, and partial uqs simply are not warm enough for me. And the right fabric in a hammock makes all the difference to me. Color is a choice, and while I wouldn't be keen on a yellow hammock, I could live with it as long it's comfortable. Fabric is not a choice. If it's the wrong one, I won't be able to sleep more than 2-3 hours comfortably. I guess I'm high maintenance hammockwise

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast