Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why rope for tarp rigging?

Newbie here, and apologies if this was addressed in another thread, but searching various terms showed nothing.

Question: All of the Youtube videos I've seen show people rigging their tarp to the trees with a simple rope/cord. I know this is a big no-no when hanging a hammock, since rope is not tree-friendly.

So why don't people use webbing for tarp attachment to the trees? Is it because the stress from a tarp is insignificant compared to the stress that would be caused by the weight of a hammock plus occupant?

Using webbing would mean extra ounces if you're backpacking, so that's the obvious downside of going with a more tree-friendly rigging.

Thanks!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I feel that there is no body weight in/on a tarp like a hammock. You could put small sticks under your tarp cord if it is a moral thing.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Why rope for tarp rigging?

I have been using tubular webbing with my zing-it crl strung through on the tree when at campgrounds so i can say "no ropes" will be attached to trees directly. Its more about appearances than anything else. I want my local rangers to be confortable with my setup and not have any doubts.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    amok tarp is rigged with webbing rather than rope/cord for the tree ties.

I think it's more for aesthetics tho, and to match the draumr more than anything else

as shug said, there's not really much of a load on the tarp, so requirements are different

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I feel that there is no body weight in/on a tarp like a hammock. You could put small sticks under your tarp cord if it is a moral thing.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    I love the part about "a moral thing". I figured it probably wasn't that much stress/weight, but wanted to ask.

I do like Smb82's point about the park rangers. I hadn't thought about that. I don't know how often that could happen, but I'm already wanted by the law in 49 of the 50 US states, and I don't want to mess up in this last one, so I don't want to get the rangers mad at me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Smb82 View Post
    I have been using tubular webbing with my zing-it crl strung through on the tree when at campgrounds so i can say "no ropes" will be attached to trees directly. Its more about appearances than anything else. I want my local rangers to be confortable with my setup and not have any doubts.
    I like what you've said about keeping the Rangers comfortable. I've found a wide variety in how we hammockers are perceived and good PR is important.

I however don't know what "tubular webbing" is. Any chance of a photo of your setup when you have time?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I actually did this starting out but then stopped when I realized I was the only one! It is a pretty good amount of pressure on the tree, but I guess not bad enough since there's not a person in it, moving around.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smb82 View Post
    I like what you've said about keeping the Rangers comfortable. I've found a wide variety in how we hammockers are perceived and good PR is important.

I however don't know what "tubular webbing" is. Any chance of a photo of your setup when you have time?
    Got at REI for like 30 cents a foot, i dont really notice the weight but im not ul. It probobly makes minimal differance on the tree but i think it looks more reassuring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFartzalotte View Post
    Is it because the stress from a tarp is insignificant compared to the stress that would be caused by the weight of a hammock plus occupant?
    This is exactly it. Unless you're pitching a tarp from a little sapling or something, the force that the rope has isn't going to harm the tree.

It's like hand-tightening a screw vs using an air wrench.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm going to sew ~1/2" tree huggers for my tarp, because my impression is, that the tarp lines can be pretty hard on (some) trees. It's true that the tarp is much lighter than the loaded hammock - but it's also not suspended at a 30° angle. I like to pull my tarp ridgeline pretty tight, which is easy to do with Dutch Stingerz. And while the tarp might not move a lot, some trees do when it's windy. Seeing how quickly the cord tension increases with shallower angles, I think that there's a potential for damaging trees. I have certainly left some ugly marks in the past, and I don't want to repeat that if the weight penalty for a bit of extra protection is low. A narrow Dyneema webbing might even weigh less than the Lash-It I'm using, so it might turn out to be a win-win situation

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast