One bug net for tandem hang?

So I got my gf a hammock/suspension so she can hang with me, and one if my hobbies is weekend backpacking. I got whoopies with the dual hook and spreader bar from Dutch to accommodate a tandem hang, but would like to make a larger bug net that both hammocks can fit in. Before I dive into it, I wanted to see if any of you had attempted such a thing or had any creative thoughts, anything I should think about incorporating or potential issues before I start cutting fabric.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide Hexon 1.6 Coyote B.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econs 30
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by thompssc View Post
    So I got my gf a hammock/suspension so she can hang with me, and one if my hobbies is weekend backpacking. I got whoopies with the dual hook and spreader bar from Dutch to accommodate a tandem hang, but would like to make a larger bug net that both hammocks can fit in. Before I dive into it, I wanted to see if any of you had attempted such a thing or had any creative thoughts, anything I should think about incorporating or potential issues before I start cutting fabric.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/birds-nest-bugnet/

This would be your best bet. Not the cheapest solution but it works and comes with larger stuff sack to fit everything in hammocks and all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DannyRosa View Post

This would be your best bet. Not the cheapest solution but it works and comes with larger stuff sack to fit everything in hammocks and all.

Dang, how did I miss this?! Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide Hexon 1.6 Coyote B.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econs 30
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by thompssc View Post
    Dang, how did I miss this?! Thanks!
    No problem. I have yet to use mine but I'm pretty excited. I got the wife a net less Dutch hammock cause I liked the idea of being able to still reach around and adjust my underquilt as needed. Plus there's the tub in the bottom for all kinds of storage or puppy sleeping area.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyRosa View Post

The Birds Nest is great - but you have to be careful with it. You really should be careful every time you sit in a hammock, to make sure you're going to end up sitting into (vs falling over or under) your hammock. But if you get used to an integrated bugnet, you might get a bit careless (or you might not, but, um, I did...) about checking for overshoot since the bugnet always catches you. Then you take it off and put your hammock in the Bird's Nest and end up dropping yourself in the middle between the hammocks and... still might be OK if you're a good bit less than 200 lbs, or you didn't pitch it higher than you should have, or... Anyhow, bugnet mesh behaves rather predictably when you ask it to absorb 200+ pounds (actually more considering the shock load). It crys, and it crys great big nasty tears... (of course Dutch being Dutch, there is an end to sorrow)

My Bird's Nest will rise again, but in the mean time I ordered a Double Dutch Bugnet. My hope is that it will - by virtue of holding the hammock open towards the inside - be more forgiving of sub-optimal entry technique. I'm pretty confident I won't make the same mistake twice with the Bird's Nest, but the whole point of these is to share space with someone else. For my needs, some of those "else"s are not exactly the habitually careful and graceful types.

So - if you're planning on using it for two people who are already have plenty of hammock experience, or are good at learning and consistently employing "proper technique", the Bird's Nest is great. It also gets extra points for working with pretty much any pair of gathered end hammocks (the Double Dutch requires Chameleons). I think the Double Dutch might be a safer choice if you're trying to get someone new to hanging to try the tandem thing. Just gotta sew those zippers on one of my 11' Netless so we can try it out.

• + New Posts