My DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    silnylon/poly DIY
    Insulation
    sleeping pads
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by strikealight View Post
    Not over the pond to me! Welcome from the UK. Your English is an awful lot better than my German (or my English if I'm honest!). What's the hammocking scene like over the North Sea? Do you have any hammock manufacturers over there? We have DD Hammocks in Scotland and a few cottage manufacturers, but I envy our cousins in the USA for the huge choice they have. Our wild camping laws aren't terribly friendly, and our wilderness is somewhat scrappy and fragmented - I think you have proper big forests and that sort of thing.
    I think there are 2 reasonable companies in Germany: Amazonas and La Siesta(not compareable to US in terms of outdoor). The hammock scene here is quite small, despite the amount of trees. Me, a friend of mine and sometimes a few guys from other countries(ireland/israel) are the only ones i have seen on campingsites going with hammocks! Tent and caravan camping is common here...
    Camping laws in germany are sometimes very restriktive, and it depends on where in germany and wich way of camping. Open fires/bonfires for example are stricktly forbidden in all departments. Except on your own property and defined campingrounds. Same for tent-camping(destroying ground/soil)!
    Otherwise hammock-camping for one single night is accepted (embraced by the term "emergency bivak") and the people you met are mostly astonished!
    The nature in germany is very scattered too, because of the dense infrastructure/agriculture, and the few "nature" spots are mostly very restricted national/recreational parks/areas. Often crowded by people/tourists in the main season, making it quite impossible to get remote like in scottland or the baltic region.

Hammock
    DD Camping and DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 / DD 3x4.5
    Insulation
    DD underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing + whoopies
    Scotland is more wild camping friendly, although this seems to be changing at certain spots, and a lot of the Scottish countryside is a bit sparse tree-wise! Thought you would have been well-off with places like the Black Forest. Good to hear you have some hammock gear manufacturers - hope we might be seeing some of their stuff here in the UK before too long. Happy hammocking!
    strikealight

LNT obsessive across life generally. "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." (C S Lewis)

Hammock
    My DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    silnylon/poly DIY
    Insulation
    sleeping pads
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by strikealight View Post
    Scotland is more wild camping friendly, although this seems to be changing at certain spots, and a lot of the Scottish countryside is a bit sparse tree-wise! Thought you would have been well-off with places like the Black Forest. Good to hear you have some hammock gear manufacturers - hope we might be seeing some of their stuff here in the UK before too long. Happy hammocking!
    I think i can provide you with some information(pictures/data) about a new, not yet listed german manufacturer, if you give me some time...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12