Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mudsocks View Post
    Frankly I would be surprised to find a better solution than the soft shackle/prusik combo:

https://ulweekendwarrior.files.wordp...9/img_4322.jpg

(not my image, but I use very similar setup.)

It's light, inexpensive, holds tight, DIY, what's not to love?
    This is what I currently use on one of my tarps and I love the easy of setting up but on my larger winter tarp the prusiks slip in the winds. So I tried the Tatos and I'm not a fan of the shock cord as the tarp can get pulled to one side or the other during setup.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I got rid of prusiks because they kept slipping. My first tarp suspension was a single piece ridgeline made from 2.2mm Lash-It with softshackle prusiks made from 1.75mm Lash-It. When I started running the ridgline over the tarp (due to problems with rain running under the tarp), it was difficult to get the tarp tight. And once I pulled the guy lines tight, the prusiks on the ridgeline slipped incrementally. I solved this problem by switching to Stingerz and a split ridgeline. But you can build a continuous ridgeline with Dutch Hardware, too. You get a better mechanical advantage and it's easier to get the tarp tight. And I have never had anything slip again with Dutchware.

Here is one example of using Dutch hardware with a CRL:

https://i1.wp.com/theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2012/11/continuous-ridgeline-dutch-hook1.png

You could also use Stingerz or Fleaz instead of the Flyz.
    So with the method above you could just order Dutch's Conitnuous Ridgeline and add a StingerZ

See which option works better for you.

img_3043_1.jpgstinger2-page_1_1.jpg
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Looks like I will be abandoning soft shackles and prussiks as I already have some hooks and stingerz.Thank you everybody!

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I've found my prusiks to hold solid even in strong winds with big gusts. I find that occasionally I need to redress (work out any slack) in the prusik. FWIW I'm using 1.75mm Lash-It for both the ridge line and soft shackle/prusik. How many wraps are you using on your prusiks? I use three on each side for a total of 6 wraps just like those seen in the photo above. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    This is what I currently use on one of my tarps and I love the easy of setting up but on my larger winter tarp the prusiks slip in the winds. So I tried the Tatos and I'm not a fan of the shock cord as the tarp can get pulled to one side or the other during setup.

Are you referring to the way the tarp gets pulled away from the overhead ridgeline, when the ground guy lines are tightened? Or something different?

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    I have a CL on the ridge line with a prussik, then I pull that CL into a "Larkshead" knot and thread through the shock cord attached to my tarp ridgeline. The shock cord on the ridgeline is tied in a diamond stop knot which is what holds it in the larks head of the CL:

tarp_connector.jpg

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Trailslug....I had the exact same problem as you. I switched to the split ridge using stingerz. Stingers are nice cause they stay attached to my tarp, I spliced the zingit on to them myself. So much happier. no knots, never slips, so no readjustments.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Tried prussik knots with diamond knots, prussiks with integral soft shackles and the same with kleimheist knots... I hate prussiks. Too small for my mitts. In the NE, we have lots of pine trees. Pine sap gets on everything. Once you get sap on your CRL, the prussik knots no longer slides on the ridge line. Switched to mini-ucr's a while back and never looked back. No sticking issues, no hardware, to problem. Easy to work even with gloves.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Under/Topquilt
    I have tried several crl shock systems. I always get sag especially as I tie down the pull outs. I hate it.
    Now I just use tatos but without the shock cord. I have the Ridgeline thread through the middle hole of the Tato and the tarp connected via a mini biner on the end of the Tato. And I packed the Ridgeline in with the tarp. So when I get to my site I pull out the Ridgeline and leave the tarp and stuff sack hanging. Tie up your Ridgeline with your desired method. and then I pull out the tarp and secure it with the Tato connectors. Because there is no shock cord I don't do it super taught. I find that if I leave a little sagging my Ridgeline by the time I pull out my pull outs and secure him the whole thing is nice and taught. I have shot cord on all of my pullouts so I find that those give it enough give in the wind as to be a little forgiving on the ridge.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Hey TS, I happen to think so. My setup is very simple with one piece of hardware- Dutch Fleaz- and no knots. Basically it's this: On my tarp, I have one soft shackle and one continuous loop that has the Fleaz spliced to it on either end for my ridgeline tie-outs. I use a 30' piece of Zing-it with an fixed eye spliced in one end for the ridgeline itself. I attach the fixed eye to the soft shackle, run the line around the tree on that end, then back over or under the tarp to the tree on the other end (based on situation and preference). Once I go around the other tree then it's back to the Fleaz, where I make my adjustments and final attachment.

Once it's all set up it's even easier when I have my tarp skinned, I never have to take my RL off my tarp.

This method is similar to Derek Hanson's "Deep V" method. The V's formed by the line going around the trees keep the tarp ridgeline from interfering with the hammock suspension.

If you're interested I made a video showing how I set it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-lqQTSjnM&t=118s

The first 2 minutes or so show the ridgeline. Good luck finding what works best for you!
    I've been using the MSH to stake out my tarps ever since I watched this. Thanks johnspenn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast