Dutchware Half-Zip
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Second Attempt: Hello from South-Central Pennsylvania

Hello Hangers. Wrote up a nice long intro previous to this, but by the time I tried to post it said I was logged out; then I got a white screen of death after I tried to log in. Let's try this again.

As a teen in Boy Scouts (and through my early 20s) I camped regularly and did some backpacking. Over the past 20 years, however, I can only recall three different camping trips. I don't know why I cast aside a hobby that I enjoyed so much...I guess career and family took over. At any rate, I've recently starting rebuilding my camping kit to do some "bikepacking" and I have gone the hammock route for sleeping/shelter. I did my first overnight bikepacking trip last weekend with the ENO hammock and tarp I bought from REI and loved the experience, but (like many of you) have determined that I want to upgrade to a better hammock and tarp. Also, while my pad arrangement worked okay, I've already placed an order for a TQ and BQ.

I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning and contributing!
    Last edited by longhuntr74; 10-19-2017 at 14:22.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Welcome to the forums and welcome to the addiction. Remember if possible post trip reports of those "bikepacking" adventures. We love to see how people are camping.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Zip
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by NarlocB View Post
    Welcome to the forums and welcome to the addiction. Remember if possible post trip reports of those "bikepacking" adventures. We love to see how people are camping.

I've got pictures (pics, or it didn't happen, right?)...I'll just need to figure out how to post them here. What's the size limits for uploads to this forum?

P.S. I like your signature line about "Shug"

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    Hello from Southern Maryland. My first hammock camping experience was on the C&O bikepackking. SOmethiong I need to do again one day. Mostly been backpacking the last several years. With an occasional car camp.
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You've already been bitten by the upgrade bug. Be careful as this can lead to a lighter wallet Welcome and congrats on getting back out there.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Welcome from Northeastern Maryland. And take heed to Slugs words of wisdom....this can EASILY go from the backyard,
    to occasional weekend fun close to home, to hobby, then habit, and finally severe addiction..Very fast ! Which can and often times does lead to an unhappy bank account, unhappy spouse and an order of protection from the mailman because your always stalk.... er , "waiting" for packages..... by following him like a private investigator tailing a mark. Not that I have any experience whatsoever with any of that, I'm just saying what I've heard from others lol.

All of "our" cottage manufacturers make absolutely AMAZING gear and several now have an economy or budget line of quilts. You've already decided to upgrade the hammock and tarp also, and most ( and I say that very loosely) of us prefer hammocks 11' long and tarps 11' or greater as well. Keep an eye on the for sale section. and you'll find great deals on anything you might be looking for. Also, Dutchweare, Warbonnet, AHE, and almost all of the other vendors that have a hammock line offer a netless 11' hammock with whoopie sling suspension and a ridgeline for around $65. Lots of people love their ENO hammocks, and I've never tried one, but Ive heard a lot of HF members say that once you try a wider, longer 11' hammock thats made to order by hand, with a softer, lighter fabric that has easily adjustable whoopie slings, you just might never use the ENO in the woods ever again lol. I used to hike with my mass produced hammocks all the time, but once I got my HH and then Warbonnet XLC , I haven't used them other than at home ever since, but thats me.

Use the hammock that makes YOU the most comfortable, tarp that keeps YOU the driest and quilts that keep YOU the warmest, and YOU will be happy. Again, welcome to the forum! No question is a dumb question... ASK questions! watch ALL of Shugs vids on YouTube , check out " Theultimatehamg.com , go to as many group hangs as you can if you wanna see how other people hang their rigs, the search function is a great way to find out what you need without having to start a new post... USE IT , and last but certainly not least, have fun , stay warm, stay dry and enjoy the "piney woods" !!!!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Welcome! Glad you persisted and gave it another shot after your first post was wiped out!

Sounds like you're already showing the early signs of addiction! Welcome to our world!

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    hello and welcome from NWPA! Can't wait to see your adventures

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    Welcome and enjoy the forums! There's a wealth of knowledge here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast