WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps

Candle lantern in a hammock?

I used to use one in my tent during winter trips. Helps with a little warmth and with condensation. I saw on FB where this question was asked, but this is my go-to place for good info. Do any of you use a candle lantern during winter trips? Does it help at all. I use a luci for light and reading, I was just curious if there are many that use the old fashioned lantern. I know they are not lightweight...
    Last edited by Dhagan; 10-20-2017 at 11:21.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    No!

Been Len brought up a good many times. But keep in mind that every bit of fabric in the tight hammock space is extremely flammable. Like melt into your skin burn center for months after if you survive type of flammable. Open flame and nylon in close quarters do not mix.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    No!

Been Len brought up a good many times. But keep in mind that every bit of fabric in the tight hammock space is extremely flammable. Like melt into your skin burn center for months after if you survive type of flammable. Open flame and nylon in close quarters do not mix.
    What he said. I don't think I'd want an open flame anywhere near my hammock, doubly so if I'm in it.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I remember once when I was a kid me and my step-brother were camping out and we had a candle lantern in our tent, I woke up in the morning with a huge headache couldn't figure out why until I unzip the tent and got some actual oxygen again:<) And like stated before, open flames and nylon are not a good combination. Hot water bottles and hand warmers work pretty good as a alternative heat source.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    A whole bag full of nopes for this one.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I set mine on the ground for atmosphere...I expect no warmth from it. Though it does warm my heart a little.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DD Camping and DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 / DD 3x4.5
    Insulation
    DD underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing + whoopies
    I'd go along with the current consensus on this.

I prefer a safer (and lighter?) alternative. On the rare occasion I have any light (I like being in the dark, and I even cook in the dark if I am using my usual stuff) I suspend a 1 AAA Thrunite torch from my hammock ridgeline with a diffuser on the end made from a ping pong ball. I cut a hole in the ping pong ball just big enough for the torch head to fit through, and I have bits of black electrical tape stuck onto the outside of the ball which I can move about to control the direction of light. My Thrunite has three beam settings (moonlight/firefly, medium and full) so I can get just the right amount I need. Moonlight/firefly is enough just to give a bit of ambient light and this lasts for many, many hours on a single battery, but I would put it to medium to read by. This arrangement gives off a really nice, soft light.
    strikealight

LNT obsessive across life generally. "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." (C S Lewis)

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    No!

NEVER EVER HAVE A FLAME IN YOUR HAMMOCK SPACE.

As Mr. Arrowhead points out.
    Nylon goes up in a flash, you have no chance to exit.

We lived on the side of the Columbia River Gorge, a very popular area for hiking and it is close to a major city. We frequently had people at our door with injuries often serious burns from their camping gear. Cuts were second in line.

Fire is dangerous, most tents are highly flammable, as is your clothing.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have a UCO candle that I take car camping. Although it is completely shielded, I would never have it in or hanging from my hammock. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy being burned alive encapsulated in fabric melting its way into my flesh.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

As nice as candle light is, that clever ping pong ball diffuser idea sounds much safer and more practical than a flame-even an enclosed flame-to me.
    Sam

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast