Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    You better not take any chances and get a warming flashlight.

Better don't do that, many candles are not safe. I understand that this creates a cool vibe, but when it comes to your safety, it would be better to avoid such things.
    I LOVE candles, I probably have a whole collection. I also bought a kit from https://www.aussiecandlesupplies.com.../candle-making to make them by myself, and even so, I wouldn't risk bringing them in the hammock. As others have mentioned, the hammock's material can burn and lead to severe and sad consequences. So, stay safe, please!
    Last edited by SerafinaDahn; 07-08-2021 at 16:43.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ive never run a UCO candle lantern in my hammock but I have in a tent plenty of times. So long as its not pressed right up against the tent fabric and hangs down a bit from the top of the tent its fine.

I bring mine on winter backpacking trips. I think it helps with condensation a bit.

Of course now I have a 0F underquilt so I can finally do some winter hammocking!!!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Bruh.

Ironically, the first questions on both the Hammock Hangers Membership cancellation form and the Ganges River Cremation Application form: Candle lantern in a hammock?

Around camp, sure. In a stable tent, carefully but sure. In a bouncy hammock that someone might be zipped into.... Pass.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Bruh.

Ironically, the first questions on both the Hammock Hangers Membership cancellation form and the Ganges River Cremation Application form: Candle lantern in a hammock?

Around camp, sure. In a stable tent, carefully but sure. In a bouncy hammock that someone might be zipped into.... Pass.
    Haha yeah I dont think I'd ever try it in a hammock. The top of those UCO lanterns can get HOT! Its nice winter camping in a tent because I string up a line between the peaks hang the lantern a bit down from the line and hang wet items near by to dry out a bit. But I'd be to afraid to try it in a hammock. I also dont see a point to them outside of winter myself but to each their own.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    PLEASE do not do this. Burns are seriously the most painful injuries you can suffer, and that's if you're lucky enough to get out alive. +1 to what others have said about looping your headlamp around the ridgeline...and if you need extra warmth then I'd say it's time to invest in a new underquilt

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The old hot water bottle between the legs is one of the best ways I know, besides warmer quilts, to keep warm in cold weather. Takes the edge off of warming an icy hammock.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    One Tigris is selling a tarp-like (AHEM!) TENT styled shelter designed to go over a hammock like a big tarp - but with walls! And one can use a wood stove in it with a stove jack, making it a hot tent for a hammock! Lightweight, easy to carry. Actually designed by Lonewolf902, but they had a falling out, now they are selling it under their logo. Lonewolf902 may be selling a version, I dunno. You can see him with it on YouTube. Andy, from Kent Survival in England, has a video up using it as well with a hammock in winter.

Winnerwell makes a lightweight Titanium folding wood stove that works very well with hot tent style shelters. Pomoloy does as well. I use a Gstove Heatview from Scandinavia. All of these work with the hammock shelter. Keep the inside 80* - or higher if you want!

Skypainter - who always seek options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Think several times before you do this. First of all, it is very unsafe. Many people have already told you this. Candles can very quickly set the hammock material on fire, even if it is super strong. Second, it's not very practical. Candles will constantly go out, and you will have to light them again.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s not that it “can” get HOT! It’s that it WILL get hot. So hot that the top will severely burn you if you touch it and it will easily melt though nylon. But I understand the moth-to-the-light attraction. I have a few candle lanterns from yesteryear. I look at the structural ridgeline in the hammock and imagine a lantern hang down, away from me, away from the netting and keeping some condensation at bay, etc. as long as nothing moves. But I’ve never cooked inside my tent (back in the day) and I just can’t have a lit flame inside that hammock inclosure. It’s not that I’m afraid of the fire flame; it’s more like playing with a hot iron. The downside just outweighs the upside by too much of a margin.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast