New calculator for buckling strength of EMT pipe

Can anyone comment on this calculator I found for the buckling strength of EMT pipe

http://www.atc-mechanical.com/calcul...al-properties/

1. Enter length of tube (6 feet for me)
    2. Enter load (I just put 400lbs)
    3. Pick "select tube based on column buckling property"
    - the subset confused me. It gives you options for one end fixed/ one end pivoted, both ends fixed, etc
    - I just selected one end fixed/ one end pivoted because my design is a single vertical EMT pipe with 2 guylines on one side and the hammock on the other
    4. Pick "use any size"
    5. Pick "every gauge"
    - 1" EMT has a wall thickness on 0.057"

This calculator says the buckling force for 1" EMT with 0.058 wall thickness is 817 lbs. Does this sound right? If it is I would think it would be fine for my stand since ive seen other threads around here talking about maximum compressive force being ~400lbs for average individuals.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY winter/summer
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ/TQ
    Images
    It's been over 35 years since my college class in mechanical engineering. Here's my take:

The end in the air would be 'pivoted/pinned'. Is the end on the ground driven into the ground (like a 8-foot length with 2 foot in the ground, and 6 foot above)? That would be a fixed end. if it was just a 6-foot length with the bottom able to pivot around, then it would be 'both ends pivoted/pinned'.

If I were doing the calculations, I would run all 4 options, pick the lowest number, and then use half (or less) of that as a safety factor.

...Bob

Its basically the classic Alamosa stand. and the bottom of the pole resting on a piece of wood on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    If you're worried about it just go up to 1.5" EMT and call it good. I think that's what I used as an 8' ridge pole on my "stand." If I remember my mechanical design courses (also an engineer) minimum safety factor is three for almost anything you can imagine... Even higher for dynamic loads.

In the situation you describe both ends of the pipe are free to rotate, thus are "pinned" not "fixed". An example of fixed would be setting the pole into a deep hole in the ground filled with concrete, which would prevent the lower end from rotating. Running the calculator with both ends pinned should result in the lowest buckling strength.

• + New Posts