Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps

What does an UQ feel like? How can I 'try' one out?

Hi all - forgive my ignorance, newbie here (used my hammock for the first time on my first backpacking trip last weekend)

I'm hoping for some advice with regards to trying to determine if I need or would like an underquilt. My hammock is a double layer Warbonnet Ridgerunner and I currently use a Klymit Static V Luxe Insulated pad (which i've used comfortably into the low 40's). I use a Klymit KSB 20 down sleeping bag as a top quilt and just leave it unzipped.

I know this may seem like a strange question, but does an underquilt change the 'feel' of the hammock other than to improve the insulation? Obviously my pad changes the feel of the hammock since it raises my up a bit and I'm sleeping on top of it. But my understanding is that an underquilt would go below the hammock and essentially just be touching the hammock fabric. So from that standpoint, does sleeping in a hammock with an underquilt feel the same as sleeping in a hammock without an underquilt?

My other question is - is it possible to 'try out' an underquilt without committing to buying an underquilt? By that i mean, can i use existing things I own (like sleeping bags, blankets, down throws, etc) to get a similar experience to an underquilt? I would obviously try it out in a controlled environment like my backyard where weight wasn't a concern.

I'd be hoping to be able to draw conclusions between how my insulated pad feels versus how an underquilt would feel. Is this an unrealistic expectation?

Thanks!

Images
    An underquilt feels like just laying in the hammock by itself, except warmer.

HOWEVER, if that underquilt has a "traditional suspension" (a shock cord loop that goes all the way around it through channels in the long sides), then that cord will pull inwards and i find that intensely annoying. Other suspension types don't have that problem.

Just for the sake of trying something, take any throw blanket and just tie a cord around the ends. Essentially, you're making the blanket into its own hammock that goes under the actual hammock.

The one big upside to having a pad is cushion. A quilt wont give you that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    An underquilt feels like just laying in the hammock by itself, except warmer.

HOWEVER, if that underquilt has a "traditional suspension" (a shock cord loop that goes all the way around it through channels in the long sides), then that cord will pull inwards and i find that intensely annoying.
    I agree it feels like laying in a plain hammock, but I haven't ever been bothered or even noticed any "squeezing" by the suspension when laying in it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Instant warmth in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner and there's no suspension to worry with either. I can't recommend enough how much warmer quilts are than pads.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A good way to try one out is to look on the forums for a group hang within a distance you're willing to travel and post that you plan to attend but would like to borrow an underquilt.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    It feels the same as the hammock without the UQ, just very, very warm. You know that sensation when you crawl into your ever so warm and comfy bed in the winter? It's like that, but a little better.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    Thanks everyone for the insightful replies. It's helpful in knowing that other than warmth, the lay of the hammock is unaffected. Sounds like a place to start is comparing if I like the feel with the mat vs the feel without.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Instant warmth in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner and there's no suspension to worry with either. I can't recommend enough how much warmer quilts are than pads.
    For moderate temperatures (say 40-50 ish) - is overheating less of an issue with quilts? Are they more forgiving if lets say I have a 20* UQ and need to use something when it's 50*? From reading through posts, it sounds like they breath better than pads and I'm wondering if that makes them warmer, but also less prone to overheating / sweating.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    Also, is it possible to combine a pad and UQ? Let's say I enjoy the cushion of the pad but also want the warmth of the UQ - am I missing anything by combining them? Or would I just be better off stacking pads (something like adding a foam mat) vs the cost of adding an UQ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpterman2 View Post
    For moderate temperatures (say 40-50 ish) - is overheating less of an issue with quilts? Are they more forgiving if lets say I have a 20* UQ and need to use something when it's 50*? From reading through posts, it sounds like they breath better than pads and I'm wondering if that makes them warmer, but also less prone to overheating / sweating.
    Yes, for example I use a 3 season under quilt on my Warbonnet Ridgerunner that is rated at 20 degrees. I've used this when it's in the 80's at night and simply vent it by un-clipping one corner of the quilt. Quits are very easy to vent and yes they breath so much better than pads. I tried pads on two trips and got so clammy that I then got cold from the condensation. I've never experienced this with quilts even in a total fog out. For a gathered end hammock you can vent by simply sliding it over or all the way out from under you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast