Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps

Replace Kammok Roo with Chameleon?

I bought a Kammok Roo because I found it for $50. Of course, these are supposedly known as being very comfortable. They're also heavy. The hammock alone weighs 24oz. Throw in a bug net, and I'm up to 34.5 oz.

I'm contemplating whether I should replace my Roo/Net with a Chameleon. Looks like I'd save upwards of 10oz (though would possibly save less than that, as I might need to get a double-layer version to thwart the swarms of mosquitoes I'll encounter here in MN), and get a longer hammock to boot. Having never tried a Chameleon, I don't know what to expect for comfort.

Can anyone comment on how different the Chameleon feels from something like a Roo? Specifically, how flat could I lay? Any chance of stomach sleeping? (Can't quite do this in the Roo, and it's not a dealbreaker.) Just how comfortable is the Chameleon?

Comfort is very relative. Almost all the posts I see on this forum regarding the Chameleon find it VERY comfortable. I myself had a double layer 1.7 Blackbird before ordering a 1.6 Hexon Wide Chameleon and while its not awful but after several canoe camping trips trying different hang angles and heights I just cant make it work for me. Even in a real bed I prefer a very firm mattress, at 250 lbs the Hexon 1.6 stretch's too much and with the wide version it felt like I was sleeping in a bathtub no matter how diagonal I tried to lay.
    I ordered a new Chameleon hammock body, this time in 2.4 Hexon standard width that I should receive next week. Hopefully will be firm enough for me, if not Ill sell it all and get the updated Warbonnet BB XLC.
    All this to say that you'll probably love the chameleon, majority seem to but what is comfortable for 1 person isn't for everyone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I like my Chameleon but I like my Warbonnet BlackBird XLC better and I like my Warbonnet Ridgerunner the best as far as "my" comfort goes. As Bigshift stated everyone is different. Some like Ford some like Chevy. Either buy one and test it or go to a local hang and see if you can test drive some hammocks. I do believe it will be more comfortable than the Roo though.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I also have a Roo. Super comfortable hammock, IMO. It is my go-to lounger around the house or in my office. I love the way the fabric feels compared to most nylon products I've used.

The Roo is very wide - 67". I think the Chameleon is 58" wide. Roo is 10' long. Chameleon is 11'. I don't have a true 11' camping hammock, but I'd be surprised if it was noticeably less comfortable to lay/sleep in than the Roo. I'm 5'10" and about 175lbs... never noticed a problem sleeping the Roo, or 2 other hammocks that were the same size or smaller than the Roo. Judging from the community's comments regarding the Chameleon, I think it's about as comfortable as a typical GE hammock can get. I doubt you'll be able to comfortably stomach sleep in one unless you're a fairly small person. I know I can't in mine but YMMV. If that's important to you, you might look into bridge hammocks.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I'd second the comfort of the Chameleon in both 1.6 and the 2.4 Hexon.
    My Cham is 1.6, but I have a Dutch netless in the 2.4. At 190 [and dropping] I can't really feel much difference in stretch or comfort.
    I can go about 80-90% belly in either.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My suggestion would be to not order a Chameleon right away, but rather the plain netless hammock made from the fabric you're interested in. I'd even say, order a 1.6oz Hexon and a 2.4oz Hexon netless. Spend a couple of nights in each, if you can. Then you'll probably know if you prefer the Hexon over the Roo, and which fabric weight suits you better. You won't find the answer to your comfort question here, because comfort is *very* individual. For example I find the 1.6oz Hexon very uncomfortable, because it stretches too much for my taste. But I love the 2.4oz Hexon. In contrast to Flash Grundelore, I feel a huge difference between both fabrics. You won't know if you will feel anything unless you tried it.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Thanks for your help, everyone. I think I'm gonna sit tight on the Roo for awhile until I have a chance to try both a Chameleon (hopefully in multiple weights of Hexon) and a Warbonnet Blackbird.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Go to a group hang and start at one end and the campground, and try out different hammocks until you find you're own personal Goldilocks zone!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie; Bandit XL
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    why do you think it will be more comfortable than the roo? fabric, size, etc?

I started with a roo that I found to be...ok.
    Granted I’m 6’3 so it’s a bit too short for me but I had to learn that the hard way.

Switched to a Blackbird XLC for my AT thru and adored it. The chameleon seems perfectly comparable.

Scratch that itch, my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast