Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

40 Economy Phoenix Expectations?

Friday should be my first chance to try 40 F Economy Phoenix. Forecast is a low of 47. Is 7 degrees cushion too close? I'm averge to cool sleeper. I'm car camping so I'll take a Jarbidge as well so I have a backup plan. Just wonder for the average is the 40 rating average or conservative. Thoughts? Tnx in advance

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Everybody sleeps so different, I would strongly suggest taking something as a temperature buffer until you figure out if it works for you or not. With that said it shouldn't take too much maybe just a thicker base layer to sleep in.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    I think the only way to know is to try! I think I run at an average temperature, and I've taken HG quilts below rating. I think you'll be fine at 7 above. Just be sure to wear a good base later and warm socks, and eat something before you go to bed.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Sounds good to me. The first night of my trip starting tomorrow is forecast to be 37°. I'm taking my 30° Phincubator (no problem) and my 40° TQ. I'm pushing that TQ since the next two nights will be 50 and 55° for a low.

IMO 47° is relatively warm for a low, so even if you got cold I don't think it would be a big deal. Likely to only hit that low mark for an hour or so towards daybreak. With a backup, go for it!

Hammock
    modified ENO
    Tarp
    ProFly
    Insulation
    HG 40, DIY TQ/UQ
    I just got mine last week and took it out Friday night. I was very impressed. Very warm! I did not sleep with anything over me most of the night. It was in the high 50s with a lot of wind up on a ridge in the Talladega National Forest. I am a cold sleeper but, was happy with it. That being said, I was unsure and did take a long my old trusty CCF pad just in case I needed a little more. Going out again this weekend and it is supposed to be low 50s this weekend but, i feel confident with it.

Thanks for the input/suggestions. Forecast has now shifted to a low of 51 so it should give me a test with that old "10 degree cushion". I plan on using a JRB Stealth and the 40 degree Econ Phoenix. I don't plan on using base layers other than synthetic shorts and synthetic t shirt. I'm in the camp that lesser is warmer. I generally sleep in similar synthetic shorts and t shirt at 20F in a 20 degree sleeping bag. My own informal testing has shown for me that I feel colder in my hands/arms when I try to wear a baselayer. I think the core heats the sleeping bag/quilt and if you have a baselayer on the baselayer will help keep the core warm, but will slowdown the heat flow from the core to the quilt/sleeping bag, thereby reducing the temperature making the hands colder. Might be psychological, but it's what has worked for me. Since i'm car camping, I will have other stuff to aid in my experimentation.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Resurrecting an older thread:
    Do you have the weight of your Phoenix Econ 40? I’m looking at getting one but I can’t seem to find weights on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Resurrecting an older thread:
    Do you have the weight of your Phoenix Econ 40? I’m looking at getting one but I can’t seem to find weights on their website.

Here ya' go...specs....http://www.hammockgear.com/phoenix-econ-40/
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Thanks, Shug. For the life of me I can never find the weight on this page. Even if I set it up and put it in my cart. Am I just looking in the wrong place for weights on the HG site?

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.6 Hexon Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    Click on the ‘warranty information ‘ tab at the product page, they’re in there

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast