Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question Warbonnet Blackbird Hambunking

I'm 6' and my wife is 5'.

I want to get an updated WBBB XLC for me, and a WBBB (not XLC) for her. I hope they release an updated WBBB like they did the XLC though.

I'm interested in stacking hers above mine, hambunking style, like Derek Hansen did with the Hammock Bliss Sky Tent 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cYz9j2Nh8o and the Nube Stratos Shield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQvxOfRPAQ.

I guess her hammock would replace my ridgeline, based on the Nube how-to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdgEjeQ4VGc.

I've read that you should never hang higher than you are willing to fall, but then it seems some vendors have products and videos designed for this. Does this seem overly dangerous and/or ill-advised?

I wouldn't be hanging her much higher than me. If she was to fall, hopefully she'd land on me and I'd break her fall, maybe the impact would then cause the bottom hammock to break and we'd both fall, but I wouldn't be that high from the ground and I'd cushion her from impacting the ground. This would be a pretty ideal fall though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would rather do the side by side hang with a spreader bar than the one above the other. But this should work if you are willing to take the fall

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    A couple of points. When hammocks are hung from a tree any movement is transmitted to both hammocks, I found that very disconcerting.
    Extra care in tree selection, because there would be a lot more stress on the trees involved.

When falling we go into a protective mode. If the person falling is not impaired, falls with elbows, head and feet flapping in the air. A surprise fall would not be a soft landing. Good chance for a injury.

How is your wife going to exit the hammock for nature call in the wee hours?

Just a guess, I think Warbonnet will discontinue the BB. The XLC is what sells the most. I am 5 ft. 2 ins. and like the shorter hammocks, plus for me, they are a easier exit.

We have had some shallow root trees do odd things with two hammocks attatched. I know when I fall I do not just go down, twist and my fanny and elbows hit first then my head.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    People have definitely hung bunk style before. I wouldn’t want to personally as getting in and out for bathroom breaks would be a pain.
    In the possible scenario of her falling and landing in your Hammock, she’d hit your WBBB ridgeline so it may not be a soft landing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How is your wife going to exit the hammock for nature call in the wee hours?
    I hope they don't discontinue the WBBB.

I was thinking it shouldn't be to high for her to hop up and down, stand with her back to the hammock, palms on the hammock and hop into it. Otherwise I can give her a boost if she needs it.

I probably will remove my ridgeline, I'll be using her hammock as my ridgeline, so she'll either miss my hammock completely, hit it's taut edge, or hit me, or some combination, if she does fall or the system fails.

I also want to do side by side with spreader bars.

I guess we'll be careful and try hambunking, side by side, and separate hangs and see what we like. Hopefully no falls. Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    I hope they don't discontinue the WBBB.

I was thinking it shouldn't be to high for her to hop up and down, stand with her back to the hammock, palms on the hammock and hop into it. Otherwise I can give her a boost if she needs it.

I probably will remove my ridgeline, I'll be using her hammock as my ridgeline, so she'll either miss my hammock completely, hit it's taut edge, or hit me, or some combination, if she does fall or the system fails.

I also want to do side by side with spreader bars.

I guess we'll be careful and try hambunking, side by side, and separate hangs and see what we like. Hopefully no falls. Thanks for the help.

My nimble teenage daughter and I regularly bunk her hammock (a WBBB) above mine (a WBBB XLC). We've yet to have any mishaps, but she never gets up (or should I say down!) in the night, either. I don't notice any transferred motion when she's above me, but do notice some when we've hung side by side.

Her hammock above mine, bunk style, is our favorite way to hang. As a mom, I like it because I worry less about her. She's right above me so I know she's safe and I can hear her breathing. We can carry on a whispered conversation and hear each other just fine. And we do fine with just one SuperFly tarp for us both.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    My nimble teenage daughter and I regularly bunk her hammock (a WBBB) above mine (a WBBB XLC). We've yet to have any mishaps, but she never gets up (or should I say down!) in the night, either. I don't notice any transferred motion when she's above me, but do notice some when we've hung side by side.

Her hammock above mine, bunk style, is our favorite way to hang. As a mom, I like it because I worry less about her. She's right above me so I know she's safe and I can hear her breathing. We can carry on a whispered conversation and hear each other just fine. And we do fine with just one SuperFly tarp for us both.
    Thanks for posting. It’s great to hear your experience. Do you keep your ridge line on when you hambunk or do you remove it and use her hammock as your ridge line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    Thanks for posting. It’s great to hear your experience. Do you keep your ridge line on when you hambunk or do you remove it and use her hammock as your ridge line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've never taken the ridgeline off any of our Warbonnet hammocks. I just hang my XLC normally but a bit lower to the ground than I usually would and her BB higher than normal. Also, I angle the head end of my XLC coming off the left side of (preferably) a fat tree trunk and the head end of her BB angling off from the right side so that her hammock is just slightly forward of mine--makes it easier for her to clear my hammock when she is getting in or out of hers. The length difference in the two hammocks helps as well to make her center point nearer the foot tree than mine is.

You just have to tinker a bit more on set up to see what will work best for you based on the trees at hand. What is absolutely ideal is when I find three trees--two right next to each other very close together and a third one 12-15 feet away from those two. Then we just share the third tree. And again, I strategically angle the hammocks so the upper one exits forward of the lower one. Course three trees makes the tarp set up a little trickier, but my SuperFly is huge enough that I can make it work.

I really would NOT disassemble your hammock to bunk the hammocks. That ridgeline keeps the proper sag in your hammock body and helps keep the bugnet from being over stressed. On occasion, my daughter can feel my hammock's ridgeline under her, but in those instances, we just re-adjust the heights of the two hammocks and tweak the angles they are running off the trees. Our biggest challenge is not winding up with her hammock too high. At least I see that as a challenge. My daughter is delighted the higher it is. She's half monkey and always manages to hop in and out like it's nothing.

Though we've never done this, I suppose it would help to reverse one of the hammocks so that the two hammocks open from opposite sides...then the raised foot end of the bottom hammock would correspond with the lowered head end of the top hammock. Maybe that would help get the top hammock further above the bottom hammock's ridgeline? I don't know! It would definitely put you sleeping at opposite angles which might allow you to have that top hammock lower? Seriously, just angling off opposite sides of the same tree has always provided enough off set for us so that she isn't directly on top of my ridgeline when she loads her hammock. Sometimes her hammock sags enough that my ridgeline is alongside her a bit...but not enough to bother her. She is very light, though...maybe 100 pounds dripping wet.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 10-28-2017 at 06:05.

• + New Posts