LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images

Algonquin September 18-22 Brian's first...everything!

So here's the scoop. My boyfriend is a bit of a city slicker lol and had never been on a canoe camping trip. I vowed to myself this would be the year. Turns out he'd also never been to Algonquin park. That's just so wrong being a good Ontario boy. And to top it off despite all my very best convincing I still hadn't managed to convince him a hammock is the only way to go. I had my work cut out for me.

image.jpg

Yep a good start.

So we got in, got registered and headed for the spot we were taking off from. Canisbay. A nice quiet, little lake not too far from a campground and civilization. This was going to be a simple trip. Just paddle across one lake and find a campsite. It was really the best I could hope for considering. There was just a bit of canoe phobia here relating to a couple of very bad past experiences with some drunken buddies.

So we got everything loaded. Brian gets in and immediately grabs for the gunwales holding on with all his might. Uh oh. This is going to be harder than I thought. So I stood there for a minute just holding the canoe and letting him get used to the feeling then very gently I got in and just started to paddle. To prepare for this trip I had taken him canoeing a couple of times but anyone who has canoed with a load of gear knows the feeling is just a little different from an empty canoe. About 20 feet from shore it looked like this trip wasn't going to happen. A little crying and a bit of begging (most of it on my part lol) and he picked up the paddle like the trooper he is and we were finally underway. I knew what site I wanted. A beautiful beach site straight across the lake. I just kept him focused on it straight ahead and before we knew it we were there. Everything after that was a piece of cake

image.jpg

Views from our beach

image.jpg

image.jpg

Our little home away from home. Yep I got him in the hammock finally and he loved it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some breakfast shots. You know I had to. Mmmmm bacon....and perked coffee!

image.jpg

image.jpg

We had 4 glorious days of mostly good weather (after the first day of course because you know it always has to rain either the first day or the last one lol and we got it over with right away)

Camp kitchen

image.jpg

Coffee and cookies. Life is good. Oh wait. Maybe some steak too. No sense in starving. Lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

I finally got to try out my Sawyer gravity filter and Kelty cosmic down mummy bag. Both Massdrop purchases and I'm really pleased with both although I didn't have the heart to cut the zipper out of the bag just yet. Lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

And finally just for fun. I always commemorate each trip with a t-shirt. For all those fine friends south of the border who wonder about their Canadian neighbours here's the FACTS!

image.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner 10'
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Dutch
    Wow. What a way to go. Good job.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Haha this Georgia boy loves the t-shirt! Confirms all my suspicions lol!

Tell us about that tarp- it's huge!

Good job getting him out there. I'm betting next time he'll be a willing and not reluctant participant!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Good job. Happy to see all went well.
    Happy Hangin'

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    Thanks everyone. It really was a great trip. The only rough part was the canoe but I'm sure it'll go much better the next time. The rest was just a great success although he wasn't too sure when I told him 2 of our meals would be homemade dehydrated meals. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Haha this Georgia boy loves the t-shirt! Confirms all my suspicions lol!

Tell us about that tarp- it's huge!

Good job getting him out there. I'm betting next time he'll be a willing and not reluctant participant!
    There are actually 2 tarps there. The big green one is my first purchase. It's a DD 4x4. That's 4 metres square which would be in the neighbourhood of 13 square feet. I wanted an all season tarp for the first so I went all out. You can hang it above your hammock and the sides will come all the way to the ground and the ends will close up almost tight in case of bad weather. And the price was right. The black tarp is a homemade job. 12' square. It's great but I've not quite gotten around to seam sealing it and the ridgeline where I attached the two pieces of material together will leak a little if it rains too hard. I brought it more for a little extra coverage and a windbreak. Both hammocks are homemade jobs as well as the underquilts. They are doubled Costco throws. I just take 2 Costco throws, shake the down into one side, cut them in half and reattach the halves. Then I finish it out with trim and suspension. They are quite warm. The top quilts are just unzipped sleeping bags. We were very cozy.

And that t-shirt? I loved it too. Had to have it.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL Flecktarn
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Dutch Spidr/Mantis
    Way to be Brian! Getting out of your comfort zone is not so easy but glad to hear it led to a great 4 days and to "getting elevated". Welcome to hammocking.
    Last edited by Hoolio; 10-18-2017 at 09:40.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Good job getting that Ontario Boy his camping creds! Drag him out to one of our EGL hangs next!

With your permission, I just might use that bacon and eggs shot as my desktop background for a while. They look so dang good!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    LSOH 11' Hyper D
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images
    I'm working on him Chard. He's a bit shy.

It's a good desktop pic. Go for it. Lol. Actually it's making me want to go back right now. Weather is fine.

Oh yeah and the greenery in that pic wasn't just for presentation. I didn't have anything else to drain that bacon on.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluknu View Post
    Oh yeah and the greenery in that pic wasn't just for presentation. I didn't have anything else to drain that bacon on.
    Genius!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    Great write up and pics!!! Gunwale grabs!!! ..... and the only way is just to paddle through the learning curve. So how was the sprucey-infused bacon!??? Lol
    Niagara.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast